Q Regarding Baton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q Regarding Baton

Hi , im from Australia formerly did pub and club work as security there but got in one to many confrontations i was spat at , bottles thrown at me , had a fight every night i worked and then eventually i got jumped by 30 blokes which has made me leave the industry for a few months.

In need of funds im keen to get back into the workforce , im in the middle of applying for the police force but that wont be for a while , now i have a chance to get back into security with gatehouse work or work in high rise a sort of concierge position. Now is it worth getting a Baton you think?

The world is not a nice world anymore and i want to be careful from last time i was lucky i didnt go blind so would you carry a baton a hidden extendable one on you if your employer didnt say you could? Would you think its worthwhile?

regards

Originally posted by joecolerulz
    Hi , im from Australia formerly did pub and club work as security there but got in one to many confrontations i was spat at , bottles thrown at me , had a fight every night i worked and then eventually i got jumped by 30 blokes which has made me leave the industry for a few months.

In need of funds im keen to get back into the workforce , im in the middle of applying for the police force but that wont be for a while , now i have a chance to get back into security with gatehouse work or work in high rise a sort of concierge position. Now is it worth getting a Baton you think?

The world is not a nice world anymore and i want to be careful from last time i was lucky i didnt go blind so would you carry a baton a hidden extendable one on you if your employer didnt say you could? Would you think its worthwhile?

regards
    The expandable baton can be a great tool, but at the same time be a risky tool. Here in Maryland security officers, well most that have common sense are trained on the use of the baton. We have always keep in mind that we are not bound by the same immunity as police officers are. Strike someone upside the head, you might might find yourself in a cell with Bubba. To me any tool that can help me with being able to go home every night is worth it. However, training is VERY much needed. Just my two pennies worth.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

regards
      You shouldn't carry anything that your employer doesn't know about.

Comment

Don't you have to have a dangerous weapons license to carry one in Australia as a security person?
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. BadBoynMD - i totally agree mate with my previous experiance in security it is silly that i was never allowed weapons. I used to work in teh pub/club sector and under no certain terms we were not allowed to have a weapon on us at all and i used to work by myself alot of the time so i had nothing besides my strength to help me and against a pub full of drunks it will get you nowhere. Even know i have not yet got my baton/handcuff license and more then likely i will not be authorised to carry one by my employer i sitll want one to tuck behind my shirt just incase if i do get surrounded by a few people next time i can defend myself as best as possible , But on the other hand if i did use it even though i was getting attacked viciously more then likely i would be charged by the police so there goes my cop career! I love law enforcement and am only 20 years of age and want to be in it and go as far as possible so if i get charged and get a conviction there goes my career.

N.A.Corbier - Yes we can get a license to carry one its a one day course BUT even if i had one i doubt my employer would still let me carry one. Security in Australia is pretty pathetic , not allowed to carry weapons unless you are in the armaguard field where that is abit more serious etc.

So at the moment im in 2 minds.......iLL speak to my boss this week hopefully and see if he has any armed guard jobs avialable then i can get my firearm license and baton license which i intend getting on anyway that will help me get into the police force but i think their are very few jobs in the industry where your employee is all for you carrying a weapon...

Security in Australia we are basically a detirent and if something happens call the cops....

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. BadBoynMD - i totally agree mate with my previous experiance in security it is silly that i was never allowed weapons. I used to work in teh pub/club sector and under no certain terms we were not allowed to have a weapon on us at all and i used to work by myself alot of the time so i had nothing besides my strength to help me and against a pub full of drunks it will get you nowhere. Even know i have not yet got my baton/handcuff license and more then likely i will not be authorised to carry one by my employer i sitll want one to tuck behind my shirt just incase if i do get surrounded by a few people next time i can defend myself as best as possible , But on the other hand if i did use it even though i was getting attacked viciously more then likely i would be charged by the police so there goes my cop career! I love law enforcement and am only 20 years of age and want to be in it and go as far as possible so if i get charged and get a conviction there goes my career.

N.A.Corbier - Yes we can get a license to carry one its a one day course BUT even if i had one i doubt my employer would still let me carry one. Security in Australia is pretty pathetic , not allowed to carry weapons unless you are in the armaguard field where that is abit more serious etc.

So at the moment im in 2 minds.......iLL speak to my boss this week hopefully and see if he has any armed guard jobs avialable then i can get my firearm license and baton license which i intend getting on anyway that will help me get into the police force but i think their are very few jobs in the industry where your employee is all for you carrying a weapon...

Security in Australia we are basically a detirent and if something happens call the cops....
            What I've always told rookies that rode with me, is if you feel as if a certain assignment is a danger to you DON'T work it. Having that weapon on you againt your employers rules and regs is a huge no - no, and can bite you in the arse later. Honestly, i've only used my baton to break-out windows and reach for something I couldn't reach, or my favorite, which is to unlock the car door when I locked myself out once.
            "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Chances are, the baton would be taken from you and used against you if a mob of "blokes" is involved. By all means, make sure you abide by the laws of your country regarding batons or you will eventually end up incarcerated and unable to work in LE. Violating company policy is a good way to get fired and slapped with a lawsuit. Look for a private post where you have authority to control access. Keep the bad guys locked out and you won't have to fight.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

after speaking to K-9 Aussie who is very well educated on this subject , aslong as you complete your baton/handcuff course which i intend on doing it takes 1 day i am eligible to carry them while on duty.

Thanks anyway guys

Comment

What if the employer doesn't want you carrying? Just because its legal doesn't mean that the employer won't fire you on the spot. And if the person you use it on sues you... You're on your own.

That's the problem.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    What if the employer doesn't want you carrying? Just because its legal doesn't mean that the employer won't fire you on the spot. And if the person you use it on sues you... You're on your own.

That's the problem.
                    Hell, now-a-days you're own your own even if the company allows it.

Comment

iLL find a company that does allow it otherwise i wont work. Simple , they expect us to guard but have no weapons to deter or defend ourselfs? forget it.....

Comment

I believe that any company that expects you to use force in ANY situation should have clear, written directives and policies in place. As well, if you're going to use force, you should really make sure that you're in a union that is willing and has the resources to back you up.

Secondly, I think that any company that is not willing to give you proper use of force training and equipment should basically be forced to give you a written document stating that you will not be required to use force in ANY situation, no matter what, nor will you be expected to put yourself in any danger; for lack of a better term, you should have permission to be completely chicken****.

Comment

exactly. I would much rather be armed though. I was speaking to a mate of mine and telling him that i do intend on being a armed guard this time instead of just a bouncer at a pub and he said that you could be more a target if you carry a Baton. What do you guys think? Do you find that is the case?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X