Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would you oppose or be in favor of..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • would you oppose or be in favor of..

    A national security officer convention, (i.e. open to all licensed security officers)
    held once a year at varing locations across the USA, would included vendors/product displays, safety seminars, range awards/evealtion skills, training standards, uniforms and equipment suppliers, technology reviews and applications to the role of security officers,product demistrations, vehicle and traffic code/light bar laws and displays for security vehicles, self defense seminars, role of security as it is precived seminars... and such.

    would you be opposed to such a thing or would you think it is a good idea?

    if so pm, as i am trying to put such a thing together but would love one or two more people to be on the orgnaztional commitee for the first ever... if you all think this would be a good idea..
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

  • #2
    I think its a great idea, however we already have a regular ASIS show.

    California Security Blog
    Domain Registration Services

    Comment


    • #3
      There already are a few of these type of shows across North America a dew times a year. I rhink a big problem (I know it is mine) is that we as a whole are poorly paid & unless the show was in our city we could probably not afford to travel to it. (If you did want to hold it in Montreal I could get special rates on the hotel rooms )
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by publicsafetyred
        I think its a great idea, however we already have a regular ASIS show.

        but isnt ASIS only for mangers and directors of security ? this would be entry level for all officers. who wanted to attend, the fees for the show wouldnt be very much, just enough to cover cost of running the show, wouldnt before profit , as the show would be tailored and geared toward improving officers at entry level by providing them with glances at gear,training, and hands on applications to apply these skills.. i think maybe might try a regional show, so that it gives the more officers the chance to go..
        Its not how we die that counts.....
        Its not how we lived that counts....
        all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

        Comment


        • #5
          There are several of these. Also, you're denying about 10 states worth of employees, all proprietary employees from more states, and private law enforcement officers who don't require "security guard licenses" but "private police" certification, by saying "licensed security guards only."

          The largest one I know of is the Police and Security Expo.

          As for ASIS... Those trade shows aren't for security guards. They're for executive level personnel.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

          "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

          Comment


          • #6
            okay well i didnt know that there were about 10 states that dont require lic for guards....

            welll any one that wants to go thats in the security field would be allowed to come :P
            Its not how we die that counts.....
            Its not how we lived that counts....
            all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

            Comment


            • #7
              I'd attend such an event if it actually was like a week long thing where you could take classes over a 10 hour day in better training in certain certification fields for PSOs. Outside of that, it sounds like it be the Security Officer version of a Video Game or Anime Convention, which means just a bunch of ppl from everywhere congregating to "hang out". Me I'm always on the look out for more advanced training be it LV IV ~Protective Escort Bodyguard~ work to Urban Special Response Tactics and more. Sadly however, it's been in my experience that even if one pays the money and gets the proper certifications... you really can't do anything with it working for PSCs. The good security patrol beats always go to off duty LEOs down here in SATX, because there's less liability for the clients even though an Off Duty Peace Officer has no more authority than a PSO while in the employ of a PSC.

              Thus if one really has no interest in becomming a Peace Officer, one would really only be able to use their higher levels of security training (I'm thinking of schools like ESI here) working in the employ of PMCs, which would then field the "Security Specialist" overseas to some hot zone more than likely. Sucks for us who would like to deliever the same level of professionalism and honor in their respective jobs for PSCs but who'd also like to still have a normal life after a 8 to 12 hour shift on their days off. But yeah, I think conventions WITH the option for advanced training seminars would be a great idea if we would then be recognized for it and deployed on our posts as more than "just another dumb S/O".

              Comment


              • #8
                There's something most people don't seem to realize. A good portion of security contracts are for observe and report only, non-confrontational, low liability, paper guard positions.

                Why would the client care if you have a certification in some high speed, low drag discipline, other than "Get this guy off my site, he's gonna end up getting us all sued, he thinks he's a cop!"
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

                "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Qarlo X64
                  I'd attend such an event if it actually was like a week long thing where you could take classes over a 10 hour day in better training in certain certification fields for PSOs. Outside of that, it sounds like it be the Security Officer version of a Video Game or Anime Convention, which means just a bunch of ppl from everywhere congregating to "hang out". Me I'm always on the look out for more advanced training be it LV IV ~Protective Escort Bodyguard~ work to Urban Special Response Tactics and more. Sadly however, it's been in my experience that even if one pays the money and gets the proper certifications... you really can't do anything with it working for PSCs. The good security patrol beats always go to off duty LEOs down here in SATX, because there's less liability for the clients even though an Off Duty Peace Officer has no more authority than a PSO while in the employ of a PSC.

                  Thus if one really has no interest in becomming a Peace Officer, one would really only be able to use their higher levels of security training (I'm thinking of schools like ESI here) working in the employ of PMCs, which would then field the "Security Specialist" overseas to some hot zone more than likely. Sucks for us who would like to deliever the same level of professionalism and honor in their respective jobs for PSCs but who'd also like to still have a normal life after a 8 to 12 hour shift on their days off. But yeah, I think conventions WITH the option for advanced training seminars would be a great idea if we would then be recognized for it and deployed on our posts as more than "just another dumb S/O".

                  exact and thats how i would like to run it, with the opts for completed course s and to be certed in different subjects.
                  Its not how we die that counts.....
                  Its not how we lived that counts....
                  all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    Why would the client care if you have a certification in some high speed, low drag discipline, other than "Get this guy off my site, he's gonna end up getting us all sued, he thinks he's a cop!"
                    There are stakeholders in SO training other than the client, including the officers themselves and the companies that they do or MIGHT work for in ths future. However, even the client who wants nothing but "nonconfrontational" security would understand the value of training in:

                    1. Supervision.
                    2. Fire Safety/Evacuation and Response (first responder).
                    3. Disaster and other emergency response (first responder)
                    4. Report Writing
                    5. Terrorism surveillance awareness and countersurveillance
                    6. Information security awareness for security officers
                    7. Career opportunities and planning
                    8. Bomb threat response
                    9. CCTV and access control systems
                    10. Unarmed self-defense
                    11. Drug use in the workplace
                    12. Employee theft awareness and prevention
                    13. Recognition of forged identification documents...

                    ...the list goes on and on and ON.

                    The "impact" courses such as those you object to, Nate, could and should be offered for those officers who ARE in "high-impact" or "confrontational" and armed positions, or who are interested in training for such positions. Let's not forget that there are actually many, many such officers out there who deserve the opportunity to maintain/upgrade their skills.

                    Finally, there could also be courses in fundamental business startup skills such as business planning, how to estimate and sell a contract, obtaining business financing, etc. for those who might be interested in starting their own companies.
                    Last edited by SecTrainer; 03-27-2007, 10:14 PM.
                    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

                    "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

                    "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

                    "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It would be useful to offer "basic" security training at such a thing, much like gun shows have CCW permit classes every hour or three throughout the thing. Since most of these things are huge advertisements for vendors, who would provide said training?

                      i.e. how do you get the vendors interested in displaying their goods and their services to the employees of security companies?
                      Some Kind of Commando Leader

                      "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well, first things first. You don't just decide one Tuesday morning when you have nothing better to do that you're going to hold a conference.

                        The first thing is that it takes an organization of some sort to organize and pay for a conference. Conferences cost money...$25 to $50,000 not being unusual... and that means either self-funding the conference and/or finding corporate sponsors, who will not talk to, let alone pay space for an exhibit to some "Joe Blow" who decides to hold a conference. Also, conference centers will not rent space to "Joe Blow", either. There also must be an organization in order to have a set of books, structure, etc. to manage the financial end.

                        May I suggest that there are models available to think about. For instance, visit the website below, which is a Cygnus (sponsor of this forum) site for EMTs. Click on "EMT Expo 2007" and observe that Cygnus, in connection with NAEMT, is ramrodding this convention. Then, take a look at how this conference is put together, with lots of sponsors AND lots of training sessions.

                        Cygnus EMT Website

                        The problem with us is that we have no organization like NAEMT that could work with Cygnus to create such a conference. Hence, sponsors could have no confidence that the conference would be sufficiently well-attended..etc.

                        Now, if someone started an organization - say, "APPSO" - the Association of Private Police and Security Officers - and if that organization developed a significant membership, I'd be willing to bet Cygnus would see an opportunity to participate in organizing a conference like they do with NAEMT.

                        (I thought about NAPPSO - the National Association of Private Police and Security Officers, but decided anything that would raise jokes about NAPPING in our domain would be a bad idea sorta like a cop organization called DONUTS - Drug Officers, Narcs, Undercover and Terrorism Specialists )

                        Oh, and by the way...NAEMT itself is not a bad model for a professional organization such as APPSO either, apart from any considerations about conferences.
                        Last edited by SecTrainer; 03-28-2007, 12:23 AM.
                        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

                        "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

                        "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

                        "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

                        Comment

                        Leaderboard

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X