No announcement yet.

Fighting boredom on the job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, here at the refinery cell phones are manditory - Infact we're issued one at the start of each tour {Actually it's usually left in the patrol trucks on charge for the next officer} Plus most of us carry our own. ~ They are handy for things that shouldn't go out over the radio.

Our radio system has the ability to scan several police agencies and fire agencies in the surrounding area and it's sometimes entertaining to listen to but can be annoying after while. ~ Now as opposed to a fixed post we're in vehicles {F-150's with all the bells and whistles} and monitoring radar, seat-belt enforcement, patrolling, responding to emergencies, and various other stuff so being alert almost comes naturally.

On occassion we are placed in the position of being at a fixed post. - Most recently we were assigned to 2 hour tours every 2 hours to monitor a gate which had to be left open for traffic as one of our access roads was out of service due to a pipe rack collapse. We work 12 hour shifts both day and night work. Daywork was ok more traffic around a refinery, people to talk to and stuff like that, weather was ok but not great so getting out of the truck and just walking around the immedieate area helps pass time.

Night work was a diffrent story ~ First of all much less traffic after about 9:00 and if you drew the unlucky straw of sitting the post from 1:00 to 3:00 that darn little sand-man always found a way into the truck to throw sand in your eyes. I'd keep my scanner on or read the paper, something to stay awake.....You see we had to screen and search every 8th vehicle that entered the refinery so for a little while you were kept busy but after the mid-night hour you were lucky if 8 cars / trucks came through in 5 hours.

Nice part was was you were guarunteed relieve at 5:00 am because the post was about 50 yards from our office so there was no way for the on-coming shift to come up with an excuse - Weeknight night work wasn't scheduled off until 6:00 because of a special parking detail we worked with the on-coming day shift. -- Gate man could get off and leave at 5 -- It doesn't really matter - We're salaried anyway if you left at 5 or 6 ~ If you stay until 6 of course there's OT but I'd rather be gone.

We no longer work this post - It was given to our contracted guard service {THANK-GOD !! } We're back on our patrols and emergency assists - Now if I get sleppy I find an abandoned area of the refinery and "inspect it"

Comment

Not only does a scanner entertain you, it also lets you know if you are going into a viper's nest somewhere, such as a convienence store to get a cup of coffee about the time they are getting robbed, and you unknowingly step in the middle of the situation.

Boredom can make a man do things he hadn't oughta, like sail paper airplanes off a balcony of a high rise, or drop water balloons from up there. Or find parkers, and scare the liver out of them with a PA system, growling or screaming like the Boggy Creek monster. I knew one small town cop who liked to climb high places such as water towers, grain elevators, and other such related structures. Always told him he was going to break his damned fool neck someday.
      Never make a drummer mad; we beat things for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
        I would keep one concealed and turned off. Having access to 911 at all times is not negotiable.
        Exactly. I would keep it on, but on silent, though. There's no reason I should need to turn the phone on if I need to immediately dial 911.

When I worked LP, my manager informed me that I wasn't to carry a cell phone while working. This was not a written policy but one that he had decided on enforcing. I told him that I would carry in case of emergencies, as I was not willing to rely on someone else to call for me. He requested that I keep it turned off, then. I placed it on silent (as it's essentially the same--no one will hear it ringing) and never had any other problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
          In all my years in security and law enforcement, I've never been bored. There was more work than you could handle whether on patrol, in surveys/inspections or at the headquarters of one sort or the other. When involved with patrol work or static guard duty, I would always play the mind game of "what if and how will I respond," let me assure you that is never boring. You must take into account the actions of fellow police, guards, and others and adapt or adjust accordingly. As I learned in the Air Force, the Decision Logic Tables are constantly in a state of motion. Then there is the matter of staying current and asking yourself, "How can I do this better?" Oft times it is not working harder, rather it is working smarter. That my friends is never ever boring.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill
          Great points, Bill.

It's all a matter of finding something to do, which might mean you need to be "digging" a little deeper. Closer inspections, checking areas that you normally don't frequent, etc. I find that there is usually more going on than meets the eye--it's just a matter of finding it.

Comment

LP it would seem to me that holding a cell phone as if you were talking would be more beneficial then not as you would blend in an with most the shoppers that are always on them. And at the same time have that far away on the phone look yet actually be watching someone. And if you did id someone lifting good old speed dial would connect you to back up. Man your boss is dead wrong on this seems to have little or no imagination.
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
            THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
            http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
              LP it would seem to me that holding a cell phone as if you were talking would be more beneficial then not as you would blend in an with most the shoppers that are always on them. And at the same time have that far away on the phone look yet actually be watching someone. And if you did id someone lifting good old speed dial would connect you to back up. Man your boss is dead wrong on this seems to have little or no imagination.
              Exactly. A phone makes a great prop.

I won't even go into his reasoning for why we shouldn't carry cell phones, as it was very weak.

Needless to say, I didn't follow that silly personal policy.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X