Fighting boredom on the job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting boredom on the job

No 2 ways about it a static confined post is a real ball breaker as far as keeping alert. We are not to even have a cell phone on us. Which will be my next bitch because I feel that a cell these days falls under the life safety category which supersedes all else. Anyway I thought it might be fun to find a real small scanner and listen to what the other folks are doing all day. No one seems to make a super small one but Radio Shack has a small one called the Pro 84 on sale for $70.00 and it comes with a nice pair of head phones. It is for the NASCAR racing fans. So I went over to the Rac Shack and got 1 and a very small single ear bud.

The first day I wore it the wicked witch manager said that better not be a cell phone and I told no it's a police radio and it brings me no joy to have to have it an listen to the cops and fire all day. All that shows is the little rubber ducky antenna and the volume and squelch knobs. Knowing that I was annoyed she moved on and has since not mentioned it again. Anyway this little radio is awesome. You don't even have to program it if you don't want to. It automatically picks up signals in your local area and some far away if you program it to do so.

In my case one of the local hospital security guys are readable on base and hand held. These poor guys are run ragged all day. A lot of non security issues like day surgery needs help putting someone into a wheel chair etc.
    Then there is the lady on the funny farm unit that keeps calling the police and saying that she is being held against her will and that there is a conspiracy against her. The cops still have to go cause it's through 911.

It makes the time go by better and can be funny as hell and very dramatic at times. So how do you pass the down time on the job?
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
    THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
    http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Welcome to the wonderful world of scanning!!!

It's been my hobby for almost 40 years. It's even more than a hobby. I can hear descriptions of suspects when things happen close to my hotels & get the information to them so they can be alrert in case the suspect comes their way. With French being the Offical language of Quebec it was the scanner that really helped me learn it.

I like listening to nearby hotels & hearing how similar we respond to the same situations.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
      Welcome to the wonderful world of scanning!!!

It's been my hobby for almost 40 years. It's even more than a hobby. I can hear descriptions of suspects when things happen close to my hotels & get the information to them so they can be alrert in case the suspect comes their way. With French being the Offical language of Quebec it was the scanner that really helped me learn it.

I like listening to nearby hotels & hearing how similar we respond to the same situations.
      The scanner can definitely cure bordom, atleast for me. I, also like to know whats going in not only around me, but in the district itself. Never know when a suspect or the suspect vehicle will pop-up on property.
      "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Scanner

Same here.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I spend many hours on patrol entertained my my scanner. I would try to make a written argument about the cell phone policy, but thats me.

California Security Blog
          Domain Registration Services

Comment

Originally posted by publicsafetyred
            I spend many hours on patrol entertained my my scanner. I would try to make a written argument about the cell phone policy, but thats me.
            I would keep one concealed and turned off. Having access to 911 at all times is not negotiable.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I have been fighting with this one. I recently hired into a company that used to allow books, radios, cell phones, and even internet access to the guards. But over time they have had all those privelages taken away thru abuse by the guards. So I sit bored in the booth for a couple of hours each shift trying not to fall asleep.

what else can we do to stay alert on a boring shift?

Comment

They need to come out with a scanner that picks up Coast to Coast AM! Nothing breaks up the boredom like Art Bell and George Noory...
                Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby
                  They need to come out with a scanner that picks up Coast to Coast AM! Nothing breaks up the boredom like Art Bell and George Noory...
                  My scanner picks up FM broadcast stations & the audio for local tv stations but not AM.
                  I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                  Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby
                    AMEN brother! Those long nights drivin around town would be pretty boring without C2C..
                    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
                    Originally posted by ValleyOne
                    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
                    Shoulda called in sick.
                    Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by Charger
                      AMEN brother! Those long nights drivin around town would be pretty boring without C2C..
                      There was no night on patrol like that night in 1997 when people in Arizona were calling in all night talking about these absosolutly massive V shaped objects were floating all over the place. Classic!
                      Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
                        Then there is the lady on the funny farm unit that keeps calling the police and saying that she is being held against her will and that there is a conspiracy against her. The cops still have to go cause it's through 911
                        We get that every once in a while where I work. From what I hear, we cannot prohibit someone from calling 9-1-1, I think it may be the "Interfering with a 9-1-1 call" code in the law. However; the police usually just call us and ask us whats up and we give them the low down rather than sending out a unit every single time.
                        "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                        "The Curve" 1998

Comment

When I was a cop, we had a guy that called 911 so much that the city put a restraining order against him dialing 911 unless it is an emergency.

The last night we dealt with him, we had to kick in his door because he threatened to kill his next door neighbor. He was 2 seconds from receiving a rubber 40mm baton round after we went through the door.

They sent him away to the Mental hospital and he never came back!

Oh, by the way, my current job is a little unusual, I do armed plain clothes burglary surveillance in a ritzy shopping center. I pass the time by sitting in my personal car while surfing the internet and watching movies. Luckily, the company I work for is low maintenance and I just call when I show up and call again when I leave.

Anyone else have an unusual security job? If so, what?

Comment

Bored?

My first job, right out of the USMC, was working security for NASA. No way you could get bored. Too much neat stuff.
                            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

In all my years in security and law enforcement, I've never been bored. There was more work than you could handle whether on patrol, in surveys/inspections or at the headquarters of one sort or the other. When involved with patrol work or static guard duty, I would always play the mind game of "what if and how will I respond," let me assure you that is never boring. You must take into account the actions of fellow police, guards, and others and adapt or adjust accordingly. As I learned in the Air Force, the Decision Logic Tables are constantly in a state of motion. Then there is the matter of staying current and asking yourself, "How can I do this better?" Oft times it is not working harder, rather it is working smarter. That my friends is never ever boring.
                              Enjoy the day,
                              Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X