What we make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It ain't all beer and skittles, though.

You do have to be able to tolerate the extreme day/night issues, which can be a big problem for some people. Spring and summer, you've got those mosquitoes and blowflies the size of double-wides that require their own airfields and traffic controllers. Presuming one of them doesn't carry you off when you're driving to town, you'll rarely win an argument with a grizzly bear over who gets to keep the ham you just bought...or your SUV, for that matter. And, if you do manage to hang onto your vehicle, there are still all those other bears on the road, and they're SUCH bad drivers.

Most winters, Alaska sees an inch or two of snow, I believe, and I heard somewhere (I could be wrong) that the temperatures can dip all the way down into the 30's...

And, then, there's the indisputable fact that Alaska's the last refuge for many of the more odd among our citizens, most of whom have beards down to their toes and are covered with moss. This means you're likely at any time to discover that what you thought was a shrub standing over there isn't really a shrub after all.

This can be very disconcerting. You're just trying to figure out what a shrub would be doing with a roach clip when suddenly it hollers "GUMMINT SPY! GUMMINT SPY!" and commences to chase you down the street with an axe. I always hate when shrubs do this. Not only does the axe tend to hinder the flow of witty conversation, but of course it's always embarrassing to have your friends see you fleeing from mere vegetation.

I'm kidding, of course (cough!)
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
      It ain't all beer and skittles, though.

You do have to be able to tolerate the extreme day/night issues, which can be a big problem for some people. Spring and summer, you've got those mosquitoes and blowflies the size of double-wides that require their own airfields and traffic controllers. Presuming one of them doesn't carry you off when you're driving to town, you'll rarely win an argument with a grizzly bear over who gets to keep the ham you just bought...or your SUV, for that matter. And, if you do manage to hang onto your vehicle, there are still all those other bears on the road, and they're SUCH bad drivers.

Most winters, Alaska sees an inch or two of snow, I believe, and I heard somewhere (I could be wrong) that the temperatures can dip all the way down into the 30's...

And, then, there's the indisputable fact that Alaska's the last refuge for many of the more odd among our citizens, most of whom have beards down to their toes and are covered with moss. This means you're likely at any time to discover that what you thought was a shrub standing over there isn't really a shrub after all.

This can be very disconcerting. You're just trying to figure out what a shrub would be doing with a roach clip when suddenly it hollers "GUMMINT SPY! GUMMINT SPY!" and commences to chase you down the street with an axe. I always hate when shrubs do this. Not only does the axe tend to hinder the flow of witty conversation, but of course it's always embarrassing to have your friends see you fleeing from mere vegetation.

I'm kidding, of course (cough!)
      Better bowflies than yellow jackets.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Campus Security in NC

I work for a good size private university police department in central North Carolina as a non sworn security officer. Starting wage for a non-sworn officer is about $10.50 per hour depending on actual assignment and how much experience you have. The top end of our SO pay scale is almost $15.00 per hour. I have been here 18 months and now make $11.10. SOs get one pay raise per year. Usually 25 to 35 cents and usually in July. The university pays about 60% of our insurance and we get 4 weeks (160 hours) paid vacation per year. After 3 years working here your children can get a 94% discount off their college education by going here. (Which doesn't do me any good because we do not have any children!)
        My department also gives us $52.00 every 3 months to pay for uniform cleaning. The department even gave me a $20.00 gift card for wal-mart on my birthday. Also on the plus side there is plenty of overtime (but not mandatory) work during the school year if you want it. On the down side, there is NO shift differential pay and no extra pay for being an FTO (field training officer). I work permanent graveyards (2200-0600) and I am the only security officer FTO in our department. On top of all of that, currently I have to go back to the university twice a week (0900 to 1100) for a mandatory SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) review committee meeting that will be going on for the next few months. I am the lowest ranking member on this committee (which includes our deputy chief, Lt, one Sgt., detective, supervisor of communications, one parking enforcement officer and one sworn patrol officer). We are rewriting our entire department's SOP manual covering everything (sworn, dispatchers, and security officers).
        The only non sworn job that pay more locally is working for one of the large county sheriff departments as a detention officer (aka jailer), making about $30,000 per year but they usually work more than 40 hours per week and do not get time & half. Some of the smaller county sheriff departments in our area pay their uniformed sworn deputies less to start than what I make. My job is low stress once you know what you are doing. My university has armed sworn officers that handle all of the more serious stuff like fire alarms, burglar alarms, drunks, vandalism, trespassing, traffic stops and occasional assaults. Non sworn handle the routine stuff like entry control at the vehicle gates, gym security, library security, shuttle driver, communications officer, campus foot patrol checking for unlocked doors and locking buildings at required times.

Comment

Well I just switched PSCs (Private Security Contractor) and will begin my new post working with a team of others [whom I've met and for once appears to be worth a damn] conducting INT/EXT. Mall Security. The post I'm at starts @ $8.00 but the unit is rapidly being rebuilt up and promotions means better pay. The way I understand it is that the site is generally a $9.50 - $10.00 hrly post. The only thing that miffed me was that yet again my LV III Commission status cannot be utilized doing Mall Security! I mean I understand why, but when you've paid your dues [in field] to get your commission, have paid the monetary dues and become ceritfied in the usage of not only firearms and unarmed tactics, along with the usage of aspe/baton, pepperspray etc, and then you're not allowed to carry it... well it makes me a sad panda indeed. Lately (as with the last PSC I officially resign from tomorrow afternoon) it seems the only thing clients want are unarmed PSOs, so I question as to why armed PSOs even exist still when off duty LEOs get all the good security patrol beats. In spite of all that, I'm ready for something new and to finally work with a team of others rather than solo or with only one other.

Comment

53 respondents now and it looks like the average is now around $15 per hour. Does someone want to check my math?

Again, I was expecting the average to be $10 per hour.

California Security Blog
            Domain Registration Services

Comment

They pay me minimum wage. That is $7.50 an hour in California, and I work 45 hours a week. So the raw pay isn't too great. On the other hand since my employer is an apartment complex I pay $150 a month for a $1300 a month or so apartment. I'm able to support two people and a dog on what I bring home.

If you count what they discount off of my rent and add it to what I make a month and then divide by the hours I work my pay would be about $14 /hr. That's for a patrol and report only job with no licensing or training required.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtesy Patrol
                That's for a patrol and report only job with no licensing or training required.
                Just to let you know, even proprietary security needs to be licensed in California now.

California Security Blog
                Domain Registration Services

Comment

Originally posted by publicsafetyred
                  Just to let you know, even proprietary security needs to be licensed in California now.
                  I was going to say, 20 bucks says his employer doesn't know or doesn't care. BSIS should be running around right now sending out letters to people who reported unlicensed guards...
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

not Enough!
                    ‎"If you can't tolerate humor directed at you, you do not deserve to be taken seriously"

Comment

I average $34 an hour. It is a far cry from the $5.10 I averaged as a new security officer in 1992!

Comment

$ 15.83 an hour doing armed security at a Government facility.

Comment

Categories??

You really should have categorized this.....folks makin' 15, 16....30 or 40 something an hour???? Yeah armed, management, gov't, LEO/Corrections maybe......my last (non-supervision) gig I made $12.50/hour which is damn good for an entry-level unarmed private rentacop.
                          Tom Duprey
                          Owner/Relentless Risk Management

Comment

Originally posted by sgtnewby View Post
                            Top out for officer- $22.12 (give or take a few cents)
                            extra $0.90 per hour weekend dif.
                            extra $1.00 per hour night dif.
                            extra $0.90 per hour trainer / charge dif.

At 4.5 years in, I'm at $20.32 per hour (base) , I work nights, every other weekend, and I am also an FTO.
                            Wow, this thread started about 2 years ago. Now, I am at top pay which has now reached $23.39 per hour plus the differentials listed above.
                            Apparently a HUGE cop wannabe...

Comment

I've got a habit of diggin' up old threads that are new to me when I join a forum group.....gonna' be a lot more of it.....
                              Tom Duprey
                              Owner/Relentless Risk Management

Comment

I have made between $8.50-$10.00 in recent years depending on the post.

I'm currently working (within walking distance) for $8.50.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X