What we make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$27 to $35/hr

I also get a bonus for every six months that I stay employed with the company. I have received several $500 and a few $1000 checks because I stay with them.

Starting off, you make $25/hr and are eligible for bonuses every six months. This position has very high turnover and they are pulling out the stops to keep these posts manned. I think they have around 1200 extra hours a week that are not being used due to being undermanned. If you are single, you can make some money working overtime and night shifts. There was a guy who worked around 70- 80hrs a week. He made $26/hr regular and $39/hr OT. That guy brought home bank until the company got nailed with a lawsuit about the hours they were asking guards to work.

I usually work between 38 -44 hours a week and make decent money.

Comment

Originally posted by security steve
      $27 to $35/hr
      Where at?

Comment

Originally posted by LPGuy
        Where at?

I am a Special Police Officer (SPO) for the Water and Sewer Authority (WASA) of Washington DC.

SPO's start at $25/hr and can pay for their gun with the first incentive check they receive.

Comment

Armed special services guard. The company i work for has the same problem. It is so hard to get a ltc /ccw in this state that I smile inside when I hear someone whining about how hard it it to get a permit. With us it's not the turnover rate it's getting the people willing to put their bacon on the line. It's such a great feeling to go into a job interview and say Hell yea I have a class A permit. Ca Ching $$$ The interviewer knows that if you passed all the crap it takes to get a class A then there's not much else to talk about.

First you must pass the NRA course and test. Then take that to the local Chief of Police for local character knowledge photos etc. Then it gets passed on to the State Police for past state history and warrants etc. then to the FBI for prints and past federal history. About an 8 week process plus approx $400.00 for testing and paper work before all is done.
          The weak link in this process is if the Chief wakes up with a woody that day he can reject you for any special reason or no reason at all.

Don't get me wrong it's easier to get a class B lower caliber personal defence licence for home defence but you can not work for LE etc without a class A.

This position has very high turnover and they are pulling out the stops to keep these posts manned.
          Last edited by Chucky; 03-17-2007, 12:21 AM.
          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
          THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
          http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
            Poll completed and adjusted for US exchange difference.
            I did not answer the poll because it asked what security in the US made.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I am a Special Police Officer (SPO) for the Water and Sewer Authority (WASA) of Washington DC.

SPO's start at $25/hr and can pay for their gun with the first incentive check they receive.
              With the gun ban lifted for now, I'm waiting to see if DCPD will discontinue the SPO program, since regular citizen guards may now carry pistols, once they figure out how to license them.

The entire SPO program was basically so that you could have armed guards, since only a federal law enforcement officer could carry in DC.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Pay Rate

My hourly rate is $24.89 + $1.86/hr locality pay for a total of $26.75 per hour.

My O/T rate is $37.34 + $2.80/hr locality pay for a total of $40.14 per hour.

Everything over 8 and over 40 is O/T. I work 12 hour days, 14 days on and 14 days off. This works out to 40 hours regular time and 44 hours O/T every week. It works out to about $2836.16 for each week that I work.

With the two and two schedule, we work 26 weeks a year. It comes out to be just over $73,700 per year.

There is usually O/T available to those that want it but to me the best part is having the two weeks off every month.

Comment

now I need a job like that.
                  Todd

Comment

Where is it, what is it, and how can I apply?
                    "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

From his published location, I imagine he's in Alaska.
                      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by Here4th$

Everything over 8 and over 40 is O/T. I work 12 hour days, 14 days on and 14 days off. This works out to 40 hours regular time and 44 hours O/T every week.

With the two and two schedule, we work 26 weeks a year.

There is usually O/T available to those that want it but to me the best part is having the two weeks off every month.
                        I love the schedule, where is this and how do I apply?

California Security Blog
                        Domain Registration Services

Comment

I'm at 12.95/per hour and I work unarmed at the local mall here in the beautiful People's Republic of Treetown. (Ann Arbor, MI)

Comment

You'd normally expect to see more of a Bell curve with a survey like this, with most results falling in the middle ranges and then tapering off toward either end, so these results are very interesting. Perhaps the sample is still too small, or it might be that we have members who are doing so many different things in security (stationary, patrol, LP, some supervisors, some in quasi-public agencies, etc.) and this skews the results.

The pleasant surprise is to see how many are in the upper ranges (both in the poll and in the posts following). The number who are in the lower ranges is always disappointing, but not a surprise. I have yet to see a true security position, meaning one that would require licensing and training in any state that has such regulations, that was only worth minimum wage or even a buck or two more. Read the book Spies Among Us by Ira Winkler and you'll immediately see exactly why I say this. I'm going to start a thread about this book elsewhere on the forum right now, in fact.
                            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Yep it is Alaska. He mentioned this in another thread and I asked about the cost of living being so high there for which he replied that it has just about leveled off with the lower 48. So definitely a good gig. I am not sure that after 2 weeks off that I would feel like working 14 days of 12 hours straight.
                              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                              http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Alaska

Originally posted by Chucky
                                Yep it is Alaska. He mentioned this in another thread and I asked about the cost of living being so high there for which he replied that it has just about leveled off with the lower 48. So definitely a good gig. I am not sure that after 2 weeks off that I would feel like working 14 days of 12 hours straight.

You hit it right on the money! After two weeks off, it’s incredibly difficult to get back into the routine - especially with the twelve hour days. The time of is great, I essentially work six months a year and have six off and that’s what I think about when I’m going back on shift.

I currently work for Doyon Universal Services. They have numerous security contracts throughout the state of Alaska, including the Trans Alaska Pipeline, Anchorage Animal Control, and the Port of Anchorage to name a few. The pay scales and schedules vary per contract.

I work on the Alyeska Pipeline contract. We provide security, medical and fire protection to the 800 miles of pipeline, the pump stations and the terminal in Valdez.

Besides the pay, one of the big perks is living in Alaska. Every day, I get to do and see the things that most people only dream about. Hunting and fishing in America’s last frontier.

I left a thirteen year law enforcement career in the states for this job. The money and the time off were the deciding factors. There is also no state tax in Alaska and only a few of the cities have a sales tax.

The hiring is done through the Anchorage office. There is also a website. The big issue about applying from out of state is the licensing requirement. You have to be a state resident for 30 days (among other requirements) to get a guard license.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X