• Show
Clear All

• Graveyards..... and the 10 things i love about them

10. I love the night hours
    9. dont have to worry about getting sun burns as easy
    8. No upper management big wigs to deal with
    7. It is interesting to see the "night life" people do their thing
    6. It is much quieter and easier to detect something is not right
    5. Interaction with graveyard leos seems to be much better then daytime leos
    4. dayshifts can be long, but on graves time seems to go by much quicker
    3. I have worked graveyards since 2001, and im usued to the hours
    2. i have better night vision then day vision
    1. I LOVE GRAVEYARD SHIFTS!

so what are your 10 reseaons for like graveyards ?
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Especially in LE, I liked graveyards because there was less BS. (Days, we had to do stupid things like carry official documents to and from the homes of people on the city council so they could sign them, etc.!) Also, we served a lot of penny-ante bench warrants, especially on PMs when people were home. "Are you John Miller? I have a warrant here that says you didn't show up for your jaywalking hearing, Mr. Miller. ASSUME THE POSITION, YOU LOWLIFE CRUD - and tell those 17 kids to stop sniveling 'cause Daddy's goin' to the BIG HOUSE!"

One thing I also liked was that you could hear for miles on graveyards when it was relatively quiet. I learned early in my LE career the value of keeping your window down as far as the weather would permit, and heard a guy cutting a chain link fence from over a block away one crisp, silent night. "Silent Night...I hear a fight...Yeah, it's goin' down...in the next town..." Once, this was kinda bad though because I heard what sounded like a loud "whump" and I went crazy trying to find out what it was. Other guys heard it too. Turned out to be a rather bad crash on the freeway over a half-mile away from my position, but we couldn't triangulate on where it came from, so it didn't help that time.

And when it snowed, especially on PMs, it was great to work graveyards because you could just follow the stupid perp's tracks (foot or tire) all over the place...around behind the Radio Shack...up to the door...here's where they went..."Hello. And how are we this evening? Kinda lonely out behind this dumpster, isn't it? Out for a little burgling are we? I believe we're under arrest, if I'm not terribly mistaken. What's that? How do I know you did it? Well, there aren't a whole bunch of people out here tonight wearing snowshoes and carrying televisions..."

...and I liked graveyards because (I blush to say) we could dink around on the radio, calling in weird names for wants & warrants, etc. First one to make the dispatcher laugh out loud over the air wins...and they got real good at giving you back your record check straight without laughing. And, of course, guys would bring oddball tunes to play over the air. FCC violation, I know!

Juvenile, I admit, but back then we were just kids and graveyards were slow at times. It was fun until we found out that citizens were hunched over their scanners waiting to hear what we'd do next, which for one reason or another did not evoke much laughter from the patrol commander.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 03-12-2007, 08:49 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
      Especially in LE, I liked graveyards because there was less BS. (Days, we had to do stupid things like carry official documents to and from the homes of people on the city council so they could sign them, etc.!) Also, we served a lot of penny-ante bench warrants, especially on PMs when people were home. "Are you John Miller? I have a warrant here that says you didn't show up for your jaywalking hearing, Mr. Miller. ASSUME THE POSITION, YOU LOWLIFE CRUD - and tell those 17 kids to stop sniveling 'cause Daddy's goin' to the BIG HOUSE!"

One thing I also liked was that you could hear for miles on graveyards when it was relatively quiet. I learned early in my LE career the value of keeping your window down as far as the weather would permit, and heard a guy cutting a chain link fence from over a block away one crisp, silent night. "Silent Night...I hear a fight...Yeah, it's goin' down...in the next town..." Once, this was kinda bad though because I heard what sounded like a loud "whump" and I went crazy trying to find out what it was. Other guys heard it too. Turned out to be a rather bad crash on the freeway over a half-mile away from my position, but we couldn't triangulate on where it came from, so it didn't help that time.

And when it snowed, especially on PMs, it was great to work graveyards because you could just follow the stupid perp's tracks (foot or tire) all over the place...around behind the Radio Shack...up to the door...here's where they went..."Hello. And how are we this evening? Kinda lonely out behind this dumpster, isn't it? Out for a little burgling are we? I believe we're under arrest, if I'm not terribly mistaken. What's that? How do I know you did it? Well, there aren't a whole bunch of people out here tonight wearing snowshoes and carrying televisions..."

...and I liked graveyards because (I blush to say) we could dink around on the radio, calling in weird names for wants & warrants, etc. First one to make the dispatcher laugh out loud over the air wins...and they got real good at giving you back your record check straight without laughing. And, of course, guys would bring oddball tunes to play over the air. FCC violation, I know!

Juvenile, I admit, but back then we were just kids and graveyards were slow at times. It was fun until we found out that citizens were hunched over their scanners waiting to hear what we'd do next, which for one reason or another did not evoke much laughter from the patrol commander.
      When working in the Township, I just loved 9PM to 3AM, that is where all the action was, "bad women and robbers." Terrible on the family and going to the regular job as a security police technician with the Air Guard. You could go to state or county training through the Township or federal training through the guard.
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

I just like the nights. I am so not a morning person. I've been there, done that, I know that some day I will have to do it again, but until then I will just enjoy my midnight to eight shifts.
        Todd

Comment

1. If the client is not around you can sleep.
          2. Freedom to work on other things.

Disadvantages
          1. Shoplifters aren't out at night...but hardcore burglars are.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerGuard
            2. Freedom to work on other things.

Disadvantages
            1. Shoplifters aren't out at night...but hardcore burglars are.

never will happen with me, im disgusted that you think its ok to sleep on duty.
            Its not how we die that counts.....
            Its not how we lived that counts....
            all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

one of three things can happen for falling asleep. 1) Death 2)Injury 3) Unemployement Be smart
              Todd

Comment

Add a few more things:

1) Criminal charges
                2) Civil suit
                3) Section 1983 Federal civil suit + federal charges.

All it takes is for you to be out long enough for someone or something you're supposed to be protecting to have harm which you could of prevented or mitigated to happen.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

You whine that you aren't a troll, but you keep posting this garbage. Go away or stop posting this nonsense! Are you that apathetic towards the job that puts food on the table?
                  "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

If the client is not around you can sleep.
                    I've got a hunch your clients are better off when you're asleep. Less risk of you causing them a lawsuit, anyway. Maybe some day you'll be able to afford a place of your own, and then you can sleep there and phone it in.
                    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Step off the soapbox guys. Remember the saying "90% of cops sleep on graveyards, the other 10% lie about it" Security has less pay, less incentive to work etc.... I got a hunch some of you saints might be in that 10%

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce
                        never will happen with me, im disgusted that you think its ok to sleep on duty.
                        This guy is a TROLL. He is posting this nonsense in an attempt to stir up some controversy. Nobody employed as a security officer and in their right mind would post on a security message board, of all places, about using drugs, assaulting offenders in their custody, sleeping on the job, and working unlicensed.

Remember the saying "90% of cops sleep on graveyards, the other 10% lie about it" Security has less pay, less incentive to work etc.... I got a hunch some of you saints might be in that 10%
                        I've got a hunch you just made that quote up. Plus, you're full of crap.

Comment

BoxerGuard will be banned soon enough... just be patient.
                          "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Felon Guards like you are part of what makes security look bad, guards like you make the new officers embarassed of their profession when they have nothing to be embarassed about except the bad apples.
                            Todd

Comment

tlangsr, it looks like your biased just because I am a felon. I am in good phyhsical shape...probably better than most here. If anything I'm trying to raise the bar for this industry.

This is reality here...when I bounced, former gang members were at the door with me. Theres no way that some old lady or mild mannered guy could handle the door at a hot club.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X