Security Officer Associations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Officer Associations?

Are there any Associations for Security Officers, I have seen a couple of security associations but they seem to be more for upper level managers or organizations.

Dose anyone know any just for Security Officers?

It would be neat, but I don't know of any

That would be kind of neat to belong to a career security officer association. Unfortunately, with the "minimum wage" effect and variation between employers this may be harder to organize than it seems.

Comment

A quick look at Google indicates that most associations are in the UK and New Zealand.

However, on page one, is NAPSOA, the North American Professional Security Offficers Assocation. I have seen this page before in passing, www.napsoa.org, however, it does not appear to have that much funding going to their website.

I can safely say this because the site is constructed in some sort of homepage generator program from the 1990s. It was not professionally designed.

The "PSO Guidelines," as well, are amusing. In my state, several of these guidelines would be grounds for criminal prosecution - as no security officer may work plain clothes while affixing a badge, shield, or star to themselves (WI Administrative Code prohibits plain clothes security. PIs may not wear badges of authority.)

Number Six violates my uniform policy, as whistle holders, they go in your uniform pocket. The policy also requires a specific type of whistle - which, of course, I'm buying - Fox 40 whistles. Those silver Pea shooters may look pretty but I want a whistle HEARD.

Number Three is also at odds... Up here, a clean "t-shirt" will make you freeze. Replace "t-shirt" with polartec undershirt + uniform dickie (Sorry, I only provide the uniform dickie, the 100-150 dollar jackets should be warm enough provided you keep em on...) and perhaps.

Ok, I'm done picking on the guy's website. I notice that the Advisory Board positions for many, many states are not filled, nor are advisors listed.

The only truly interesting thing I see is this, on "Charter Membership"

An Opportunity To Enroll
      In The NAPSOA
      Tri-Level Certification
      Program We're Fighting
      To Have Recognized As
      A "National Standard"
      Offering 196 hours
      Total Training*

*120 hours of academy training will be offered in "online" study at your own pace courses, with 76 hours of tactical firearms training provided in various locations throughout the U.S. and Canada!

I
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Judging by the website... I hope they use some of those charter membership proceeds to hire a professional e-learning company to design their website. Because, well... No matter how much interesting material their members come up with to fill 196 hours or whatever, if its undeliverable or unreadable, its worthless.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

You know what? Hell. Why the hell don't we folks make our own damn "association?" Be no better, or no worse, than these folks.

Comment

Good idea

You can be the president.

Comment

Woo. Does that mean I can keep all of the monies?

Seriously, there has to be a better attempt at an association out there than the one noted above.

Comment

Those PSO guidelines are a joke

I was taking a look at that website and those "professional guidelines" are a JOKE! I'm all for maintaining a professional appearance, but I do not carry a whistle as part of my duties, nor do I have any use for one. And the thing about arriving at least 15 minutes prior to your shift but no more than 30 minutes prior to your shift is pure obsessive compulsive. Anybody who commutes in traffic to work will laugh at that. I'm always on time to work, but nitpicking about a ten minute time span is too much for me.

Then the thing about coming to the aid of any firefighters, cops, or paramedics when on or off duty is a little too much for me as well. If I'm off duty and in civilian clothes, I'm not going to walk up to cops or paramedics who are working and be like "I'm a security officer, can I help?" No...that is a good way to annoy them. The only exception is if somebody was truly overwhelmed and needed help (i.e. a lone police officer getting assaulted by a suspect)

Comment

Originally posted by wvd1979
                  I was taking a look at that website and those "professional guidelines" are a JOKE! I'm all for maintaining a professional appearance, but I do not carry a whistle as part of my duties, nor do I have any use for one. And the thing about arriving at least 15 minutes prior to your shift but no more than 30 minutes prior to your shift is pure obsessive compulsive. Anybody who commutes in traffic to work will laugh at that. I'm always on time to work, but nitpicking about a ten minute time span is too much for me.

Then the thing about coming to the aid of any firefighters, cops, or paramedics when on or off duty is a little too much for me as well. If I'm off duty and in civilian clothes, I'm not going to walk up to cops or paramedics who are working and be like "I'm a security officer, can I help?" No...that is a good way to annoy them. The only exception is if somebody was truly overwhelmed and needed help (i.e. a lone police officer getting assaulted by a suspect)

I do carry a whistle for the reason that i work at a mall and trafiic direction can be something that i am assigned to. I have training in traffic control from the Fire department (i am a full time firefighter/EMT) and Police (was a explorer) And in that training i have learned a whistle can be useful for traffic control.
                  As far as the showing up between 15-30 minutes i can understand being at least 5- 10 minutes early. But there are time when i have been an hour early just because i got done with my errands early or left early ETC... I use that time to get caught up on the happenings of the day and just chat with my fellow workers who may be coming on or off. Also there have been a number of days when they get busy right or before at shift change and need officers to go on a little early.
                  Now the stoping to help thing i can tell you that i do stop and help. But not under the title of security officer. I HAVE to by law being EMT and Firefighter. Seeing as how i have Firefighter plates i am not supposed to pass up a scene if there is no one on scene yet. As for any one who stops to offer help they nust beable to identify them selves (ID or Badge) they must also be able to provide proff of training (Badge or Cert.). This is because the on duty responder can lose there job if they let some one do something they are not trained to do.
                  Robert
                  Here endith the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by SecurityJamesUSA
                    Are there any Associations for Security Officers, I have seen a couple of security associations but they seem to be more for upper level managers or organizations.

Dose anyone know any just for Security Officers?
                    Judging by you screen name and the fact that this is a US based Website, I guess your question is directed more towards the US participants; never the less here is what happens outside of the US in relation to Unionism, with particular reference the Security Industry.

http://lhmu.org.au/lhmu/news/616.html

Notice that the Union which covers Security Guards is the Liquor, Hospitally & Miscellaneous Union. Many Security Guards feel that they are not adequately represented by this Union and if you read through the Website you will see that moves are in place for Security Guards to form their own Union.

Comment

I think security personnel deserve better

I think a professional security association is a good idea as long as it is not a "union". Many employers will terminate workers who join a union if it violates their terms of employment.

The website in discussion is pretty silly, as others have pointed out. It almost seems like a joke, especially when the "professional guidelines" involve carrying a notebook with a cover and not wearing white socks with your uniform. The main page with the photo of the bad lookin' dude with the arm tattoos and the generic "security officer" badge are equally cheesey.

I think an association would be a great tool for networking and sharing information about training and job opportunities. If multiple security agencies could share the cost of a training seminar, it could benefit everyone.

If there are any security personnel who work in the MD/DC area who are interested in forming some kind of association, I'd be willing to help.

Comment

All of the things in those "professional guidelines" come straight from Florida security guard company rules. Amusingly enough, the standards are simply a small collection of some company rules for most larger companies.

Do not wear white socks with your uniform (Military regulation handed down to police, handed down to security.) is amusing. To me, unless your socks are visible under your uniform trousers, then you can wear whatever socks you need to to be comfortable while on duty. But, then, I also wear boots. If your socks will be visible, then you wear black. But, this "standard" is nitpicking. There are more interesting standards they could of come up with.

The whole pen and pad thing was drilled into me with whatever company I worked for. I don't carry a pen and pad. I carry 2 Cross Century pens, a reporter's sized notepad (4 in x 11 in), and keep a steno pad in the car. I can't find any reporter sized notepads up here, but steno pads are easily obtainable. But, I notice this website makes no note of what your supposed to DO with the thing when you get your hands on it. I'll make a post in training about that.

I wanna know what state gives you 8 hours of training and deputy sheriff powers.

Comment

Here is a good organization

There is a good organization at the following link:www.ifpo.org

They have some certification programs, and seem to be headed in the right direction as far as fostering professionalism in security.
                          My #1 tool? Treating people with respect...
                          www.gamingsecurityops.com

Comment

Originally posted by trfoxsail
                            There is a good organization at the following link:www.ifpo.org

They have some certification programs, and seem to be headed in the right direction as far as fostering professionalism in security.
                            IFPO seems to be more a credentialing source than an association. They are heavily entrenched in the protective services industry as a source for industry-standard testing and certifications.

Comment

I just gave the napsoa link thing because of the quotes they have on the web site. On the mian page. But i have not seen the guidelines they are suppose to have.

But as far as being early when i was with Pinkerton at my two assignments i had we had to be 10 mins early for our shift then we left 10 mins early at the end. With my current comp assignment im at least 5 10 or 15 mins early everyday. I do carry a whsitle with gold chain we wear gold. I have enver had to use it but i guess it may come in handy if ever needed. You never know a traffic crash or anything. As far as white socks I wear black boot socks. Right now i kinda got a quarterboot and tomorrow i will have my new boots. My aunt got them for me for x mas they are 8 inch. I just think black does look better in ase it shows. But on the other hand i could care less if a officer want to wear white or black lol. Now for more dress uniform for anything that requires more dress I would say wear black socks for sure.

I think a good Security Association would help. I know someone said a employer will fire officers for joining a union. But what i read about Federal Law in reference to a Union it says employees have a right to start a union. It says its illegal to fire employees because they started a union or joined a union. I do think Law Enforcement, Security Unions would be a good idea. The FOP is a really good LEO union.

Stay Safe All

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X