Two Tips For New Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Tips For New Guards

Two pieces of advice if you want to be ahead of 90% of the people that you work with.

*Always* have a notebook and a couple of pens on you at work. I would also keep a backup set in your lunch box or your backpack or your car or whatever it is that you carry your things to work in.

I got lucky, I learned my lesson the hard way the first time. I was at work one night and a cop wanted me to write down a report number. I reached in my pocket and realized I didn't have a notebook in 10. He got out his notebook and wrote it down for me and handed it to me and he looked at me like I was an idiot. I never went to work without a notebook and pen again. I usually had a couple of notebooks and 4 or 5 pens on me. I'm not going to lie, I almost never needed them but when I needed them I *needed* them. It also got me noticed by my supervisors because they all thought I took the job seriously and I was prepared.

Second piece of advice never leave anything at work that you can't afford to lose.

If you get removed from the site odds are if you're going to call you home and tell you and you're going to tell you not to go back there. Or they're going to call you into the office and tell you and still they'll tell you not to go back there.

The last time I was removed from a site I was on my way to work and I checked my schedule on ehub and my schedule which had been through the end of the month ended that night.

When I got to work my supervisor met me at the door and we had it out. And I didn't have to do the walk of shame and go clean out my locker in the middle of shift change because there wasn't anything in it but a can of Pepsi.

The last 5 years that I worked security every time I left the site I left it like I was never coming back.

Take it or leave it.

Great advice. Personally I keep a stack of blank 3x5 index cards held together by a binder clip to use for field notes.

Comment

I always carry at least two pens - inevitably I'll be in a rush to a call and leave one in the office.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X