Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is This The Future Of The Security Industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This The Future Of The Security Industry?

I've been reading the security subreddit on Reddit for about a year. And when I'm reading it I'm finding repeated references to guards having to quit their jobs because they had anxiety attacks or guards having mental breakdowns or medication issues or ADHD issues. I'm also seeing a lot of questions asked how do I avoid the drug test? How long before I go in do I have to stop smoking weed so that I won't come up hot.

What really surprises me is that these are people who are seeking armed positions. These are people who routinely talk about going Hands-On with vagrants and bragging about beating the s*** out of them.

Where I'm at security has an extremely limited role. In 15 years I never worked a job that wasn't strictly Observe and Report was absolutely zero Police Authority.

You ask them to comply with whatever the property owner's rule that they're not complying with or you ask them to leave. If they refuse to either you call the police. (Around here at the time that I retired the police were still responding). The only time we were ever allowed to use physical force was in self-defense or defense of another.

So is this what the future of this industry holds? Are we going to have a bunch of doped up ADHD cases you can't find a job anywhere else standing posts while armed?
    Last edited by The Night Rider; 09-21-2022, 12:29 PM.

Yes.

This is what you get when you 1) defund the police, 2) guilt trip everyone into thinking the criminals need to go free because 'the system' is guilty, and 3) legalize drugs and make them cool. Get everyone addicted to a machine in their hand that provides instant answers (but not the ones we need), and instant (banal) entertainment, 24/7.

I'd say it is a vast, mastermind conspiracy to destroy us, but I apply Occam's Razor. We did it to ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
      I'd say it is a vast, mastermind conspiracy to destroy us, but I apply Occam's Razor. We did it to ourselves.
      Those two things are NOT mutually exclusive

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        Yes.

This is what you get when you 1) defund the police, 2) guilt trip everyone into thinking the criminals need to go free because 'the system' is guilty, and 3) legalize drugs and make them cool. Get everyone addicted to a machine in their hand that provides instant answers (but not the ones we need), and instant (banal) entertainment, 24/7.

As always ++++ for your views
        http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

After Leaving G4S (bought out) I let mine go. Not worth the liability and sue happy mongrels Just left Disney after 10 years and just chilling..
          My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

If police departments are having an extremely hard time staffing positions as officers and deputies retire, what makes you think the security industry would be any better? Most companies are scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Security Officer View Post
              If police departments are having an extremely hard time staffing positions as officers and deputies retire, what makes you think the security industry would be any better? Most companies are scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.
              Based on my coworkers, I would say most security companies have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a long time

Comment

You're right, Night Rider - I saw a bit of improvement in the industry in the early 2000s. In 2023, its all just warm bodies, lazy or so brain damaged they can't even work night shift at the mini-mart.
                The crooks know it too - let's just say when certain guards have been on duty on my site, crime went up. The bad guys know how to do recon...

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Security Officer View Post
                  ‚Äč
                  Originally posted by The Night Rider View Post

Based on my coworkers, I would say most security companies have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a long time
                  My research tells me that the same applies in other countries such as Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom.

Much of the problem relates to the lowest tenderer being awarded the security contract, resulting in 'you get what you paid for'

I recall the days when large corporations had their own in house uniformed security who were mainly recruited from mature ex police or military and they enjoyed the long term employment benefits of such large corporations.

Comment

IrishGuard - you got it with the "lowest bidder." I think the problem with in house security (at least in the U.S.) is the generation of ex-military and ex-cops that used to do it are reaching the age where they are fully retired (with exceptions, of course - one of our forum members is in his 70s and works more hours than the 20-somethings on my site that call out half the time).

While in house pays more and has better benefits, the job has become less appealing. There is a real undercurrent in this country against all the 'emergency services' that I don't understand. (Why would you shoot at the fireman or the paramedic? They're there to help you!)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X