Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Items Should A Security Guard Bring To Work Everyday?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Items Should A Security Guard Bring To Work Everyday?

What Items Should A Security Guard Take To Work Every Shift?

There was a discussion earlier on Reddit about a guy who got a case of screaming Sporks at work. I thought it would be a good idea to create a checklist of things every guard should keep in their possible bag.

I always carried a small pill container with Asprin, Tylenol, Vivran, Imodium and anti nausea pills.

Extra pair of socks, t-shirt and underwear.

Rain gear.

Complete set of Waffle Tops and Slicks with beanie and gloves. It snows in JUNE here.

Extra phone charger.

Extra pens.

Extra notebook

Company winter coat (that I never wore)

Uniform sweater.

Spare pocket knife

Small roll of toilet paper.

40 ounce Hydroflask full of water

I carried two loaded magazines for my duty pistol in my pack every shift because I got out of my car one night and the magazine in my gun dropped out.

Stylish yellow safety vest. In case the site required it and the company one was nasty.

That stuff all came to work with me every shift regardless.
    Last edited by The Night Rider; 08-30-2022, 12:23 AM.

My go-bag always had extra cash in it. I kever when something would pop-up and when I would get home. I once worked 54 hours straight on a very active homicide
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
      My go-bag always had extra cash in it. I kever when something would pop-up and when I would get home. I once worked 54 hours straight on a very active homicide
      I have a lockbox in my car for those times where I have to secure my gun in the car before I go inside. I don't necessarily carry extra cash on me or in my go bag but there's always 50 bucks in that lock box.

Comment

Basic emergency kit items and extra batteries. I worked one site that was so badly organized I carried scotch tape and my own printed "Out of Order" signs for all the problems I would find.

And I always carry a multi-tool - I don't use it frequently, but its there when I need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
          Basic emergency kit items and extra batteries. I worked one site that was so badly organized I carried scotch tape and my own printed "Out of Order" signs for all the problems I would find.

And I always carry a multi-tool - I don't use it frequently, but its there when I need it.
          I carry a Multitool everyday.

Comment

I second the multitool. I’ve carried my Leatherman since 2015 and it has helped me more times than I can count. One very often forgotten item is pens (yes plural) and paper/field notes. I personally carry 3x5 index cards and use them as FI cards along with a pen that fits nicely in my vest pocket. Also regardless of working dayshift or at night time a small flashlight should be carried at all times. I have lost track of how many times I’ve worked with people that work graveyard and can’t even bother having a flashlight. Speaking of flashlights I recommend that people carry a flashlight that takes rechargeable 18650 batteries. I keep CR123 batteries for my gun light and in a pinch I can use two CR123 batteries in place of the rechargeable 18650. I also keep a box of nitrile gloves, allergy medicine, pain medicine and an instant ice pack in my patrol bag. A tourniquet is also a good item to have.

Comment

One coworker arrived at work one morning without a pen and without a phone charger.

None of which is any of my business but while was telling me this he informed me that he was going to be in trouble if his phone died while he was at work because he didn't know how to get home without the GPS app on his phone.

Seriously? I knew how to find my house when I was 5 years old.

And this wasn't a new guy, he'd been coming to this site every Friday for two or three months.

In order to be a security guard he has to be at least 21 years old. How do you get to be 21 years old and not know how to find your house? How do you drive back and forth to someplace multiple times and not know how to get there?​

Comment

SF brought up two items I had forgotten about - nitrile gloves and instant ice packs. Some really good first aid kits don't have them (ice packs) for some reason.

NR, I'll be kind and say maybe he moved to a new house or has some kind of condition. I think there is a real over reliance on tech nowadays - if the grid ever goes down people will be lost.

Comment

SF brought up two items I had forgotten about - nitrile gloves and instant ice packs. Some really good first aid kits don't have them (ice packs) for some reason.
                  there were several things that I carried that I never even thought about. I guess because I just always had them. When I worked for Allied all of their employees were required to be CPR certified and we carried the company issued barrier device and gloves in a small packet. Literally 2 inches square. I worked at a FedEx shipping hub for 3 years. 2 years of that I was literally the only person on site for my entire shift and I was still supposed to have that CPR kit on me at all times and I did.

NR, I'll be kind and say maybe he moved to a new house or has some kind of condition. I think there is a real over reliance on tech nowadays - if the grid ever goes down people will be lost.

He had been living in that house for 6 months and driving from that house to my site once a week for 6 months.

the odd thing about all those is that this kid wasn't stupid. I mean, the majority of the warm bodies that I worked with were absolute idiots but this guy at least had some basic intelligence.

We were talking about some company policy or something that was going on on site one day and when I explained it to him I watched his eyes light up and he got it. He understood exactly what I was talking about as soon as I said it. The rest of my coworkers never figured it out.

what he lacked was common sense. He would show up in the middle of the winter (it snows in June here. That should give you some idea of what our winters are like) without any kind of winter coat. Not even a jacket to keep himself warm should his car break down. No idea and I don't care if he did his patrols after I left but I wouldn't want to be out for even the 15 minutes it took the walk to fence line in weather like that without a coat.

Comment

There is something that I missed or perhaps we've gotten off track with in this discussion.

the back that I took to work with me every night when I was a security guard by definition wasn't a Go Bag.

( Our actual go bag sits in the hall closet by the front door and it contains are important documents and medications that we may need and it's basically if we get an evacuation notice and they tell us you have to leave now which has actually happened before due to forest fires).

the bag that I took to work every night was filled with the list of things I put in my first post. I took it to work every night rain or shine, summer or winter and the things in it stayed in it all the time, unless needed.

[url=https://postimg.cc/JyS2Fynj]
                    Last edited by The Night Rider; 09-22-2022, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X