Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Here Feel Like Their Job Makes Them An NPC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Here Feel Like Their Job Makes Them An NPC?

NPC means “nonplayable character” or “nonplayer character.” It's a term, borrowed from the world of video games, for a character that is controlled by the computer rather than by a player. An NPC often advances the game's plot by saying scripted lines, or assisting the playable characters in some way.

Arrive on site, wait stay in shack for an hour and a half, patrol site, repeat patrol every 2 hours, after 3 patrols access control until it is time to go home.

And that’s what the job is. Not hard to understand. You can always leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
      And that’s what the job is. Not hard to understand. You can always leave.
      If anyone is an NPC it's DEFINITELY you Spork.

And, as I've mentioned before, I'm retired. I don't have to leave.

Comment

You're an NPC if that's what you want to be. If you want to do your job, you check doors & windows, lock the ones that got missed. Pick up the burnt foil left by the bush and throw it away so the druggies don't think this is a spot they can hang out at (the "broken windows theory"). Politely ask people who don't belong if they need assistance, and ask them nicely to move along.

I've never been in a shoot out. I've never caught a violent felon. I've never had to perform CPR - yet. What have I done? I've reunited lost kids with their frantic mothers. I've prevented car prowls. I've prevented burglaries. I've prevented more than one bar fight with timely intervention. (How many? I don't know - criminals don't fill out survey cards.) My team has kept customers safe from all sorts of disorderly people.

Yes, I'm a security guard. When I do it right, I get little or no praise. When I screw up, the boss hears about. I'm a small fish in a small pond. But every little bit helps, especially now.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
          You're an NPC if that's what you want to be. If you want to do your job, you check doors & windows, lock the ones that got missed. Pick up the burnt foil left by the bush and throw it away so the druggies don't think this is a spot they can hang out at (the "broken windows theory"). Politely ask people who don't belong if they need assistance, and ask them nicely to move along.

I've never been in a shoot out. I've never caught a violent felon. I've never had to perform CPR - yet. What have I done? I've reunited lost kids with their frantic mothers. I've prevented car prowls. I've prevented burglaries. I've prevented more than one bar fight with timely intervention. (How many? I don't know - criminals don't fill out survey cards.) My team has kept customers safe from all sorts of disorderly people.

Yes, I'm a security guard. When I do it right, I get little or no praise. When I screw up, the boss hears about. I'm a small fish in a small pond. But every little bit helps, especially now.
          You can be an NPC and still do your job. I used to work with a guy who WENT OUT OF HIS WAY to make things difficult for people. He did it just because he could. It got him removed from 4 sites and he would have been fired from the fifth but he died of cancer. He also actually believed that security was part of "The Law Enforcement Team".

working with him was very educational. I'm really glad that I did it before I became a supervisor. Whenever I didn't know for sure what to do next I would ask myself "What Would Ralph Do?" And then I'd make sure that whatever I did I didn't do that.

security exists because the price of a security contract is cheaper than the price of insurance without the security contract.

if the price of the insurance premiums is lower than the price of having security they'll get rid of the security every single time.

I CHOSE to be an NPC. Given the opportunity I always pick nights and I always picked working by myself. And unless I specifically was endangered, I always strictly adhered to observe and report

Comment

Amen !! Excellent post !!!
            http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Night Rider - I spent way, way too many years saving the security department where I worked from the budget axe wielded by people with your attitude. Even if the price of the insurance premiums are lower than the security contract, there are still good, valid reasons to have good, hard working guards. I'm sorry you seem to have worked with every stereotypical lazy guard, thug guard, power tripping guard, sleeping guard, etc.

Oh, and we are part of the "emergency services team." When they were going to cut us at the condos, the local fire department objected, saying that they appreciated site security being on hand for fire alarms, having the panel room open, the handicap resident list ready in case floors needed to be evacuated, etc. We also did traffic control so PD and FD could focus on the emergency at hand. The police commander told the Board of Directors flat out that they would not respond to noise complaints and other minor calls if the guards were eliminated.

NR, minimum effort yields minimum results. You never would have made it in some of the professional departments I've worked for. Thank god nobody had a heart attack or choked in front of you - I guess you'd just "observe and report."
              Last edited by Condo Guard; 08-01-2022, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Two last points, Night Rider. You work for two people - your employer and yourself. Taking pride in your work is something a lot of people don't get. I've met janitors, baristas and yes, security guards, who did what they did to the best of their ability and it showed. They also happened to be nice people and a joy to be around - I suspect there is correlation.

I believe in the "Butterfly Wings Theory." The smallest actions have a ripple effect. I'll give one example, which I've mentioned before. I was having a rough shift when a 14-year-old girl came up to me and told me she appreciated seeing security driving and walking around the complex, because it made her feel safe. It was the same week the news reported that Polly Klass' killer had been released from prison.

Me doing my job allowed a young woman to sleep better at night. Works for me. Sorry your security career was such a bad experience.
                Last edited by Condo Guard; 08-01-2022, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Two last points, Night Rider. You work for two people - your employer and yourself. Taking pride in your work is something a lot of people don't get. I've met janitors, baristas and yes, security guards, who did what they did to the best of their ability and it showed. They also happened to be nice people and a joy to be around - I suspect there is correlation.

I believe in the "Butterfly Wings Theory." The smallest actions have a ripple effect. I'll give one example, which I've mentioned before. I was having a rough shift when a 14-year-old girl came up to me and told me she appreciated seeing security driving and walking around the complex, because it made her feel safe. It was the same week the news reported that Polly Klass' killer had been released from prison.

Me doing my job allowed a young woman to sleep better at night. Works for me. Sorry your security career was such a bad experience.

I don't work for anyone bro. I'm retired

I was having a rough shift when a 14-year-old girl came up to me and told me she appreciated seeing security driving and walking around the complex, because it made her feel safe. It was the same week the news reported that Polly Klass' killer had been released from prison.

Anyone who feels safe because they see a security guard doesn't understand security. For every person that even minorly tries to do their job there are 10 more whose sole purpose for even being there is to fill up a uniform
                  Last edited by The Night Rider; 08-01-2022, 06:19 PM.

Comment

YES !!!

I work in a chemical factory It does not matter whether it the lady in the stock room, the fork lift driver, the cleaners, or contractors
                    It is yes ma'am or yes sir "Glad to help you" Or hello Mr. Hall, Hello Mr. Rodas

Example We have tanker trucks on site 24/7 After logging in the trucks, my first action is a handshake { I've got family who drives line haul trucks so I know what they experience} And out of the frig we have on the factory floor is a cold Pepsi, bottled water, or Gatorade given to them.

Local police drive through? A handshake for their services

Yeah I too take pride in my work If it were not for my contract security company I would not be working , and if it were not for the men and women out on the factory floor I would not have a nice job to come to
                    My DARs are informative
                    I am never Tardy
                    I work lots, and lots of open shifts
                    My fellow Guards like
                    My immediate Supervisor likes me
                    I am not better than Soper, Condo Guard, Phantom
                    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

I know I'm a few days late here, but just wanted to say that what Condo Guard said is absolutely spot on. Night Rider, I understand that at times, the monotony of the job can be quite a bit, but as CG pointed out, it can have it's rewards every now and then such as reuniting a lost child with a parent, among other things. And just think of all those incidents that you prevented by simply being a visible presence...

As a suggestion, if you're looking for something that's public safety oriented that will scratch that "public service" itch, you may want to consider becoming a volunteer firefighter or volunteer search and rescue. If you live in a coastal state or inland state near a major body of water, you can also look into the Coast Guard Auxiliary. It'll likely be unpaid, but you'll get some good training and experience, not to mention it'll look good on your resume.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X