Hy-Vee Adding Armed Security Guards To Its Stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hy-Vee Adding Armed Security Guards To Its Stores

It will be interesting to see how this works for Hy-Vee. Here in Minnesota, we do have some armed security, but most of them seem to be contract. At the moment, I am hard pressed to think of any in-house, private security that are armed. I think the liability has scared many/most organizations from arming any in-house folks. Instead, they go unarmed in-house or contract for armed private security.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...-5B8Y5-dCjsPhM

https://hy-vee.com/corporate/news-ev...eam-to-stores/

https://kstp.com/minnesota-news/hy-v...ores-/6345412/

Lots of unemployed cops to take those spots. And they can actually do something…

Comment

There's no way I'd do armed retail security. Someone is going to flashmob that store and some guard is going to start blasting. Then the law suits will commence

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
        Lots of unemployed cops to take those spots. And they can actually do something…
        What does that even mean?

Comment

What are you trying to say Soper? That armed guards can do absolutely nothing relative to sworn police officers?

True, we can't write offenders tickets nor possess qualified immunity but in most states, the law does permit us to detain for crimes commited in our presence (on post) to hand over into police custody

As well as definitely use deadly force in case of a firearm drawn or mass shootings - as well as otber possible scenarios

So it's not as if armed guards are absolutely impotent in a retail setting, if that's what you're trying to insinuate

Comment

Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post
            What are you trying to say Soper? That armed guards can do absolutely nothing relative to sworn police officers?

True, we can't write offenders tickets nor possess qualified immunity but in most states, the law does permit us to detain for crimes commited in our presence (on post) to hand over into police custody

As well as definitely use deadly force in case of a firearm drawn or mass shootings - as well as otber possible scenarios

So it's not as if armed guards are absolutely impotent in a retail setting, if that's what you're trying to insinuate

He specifically refrenced UNEMPLOYED Police Officers. If the cop is UNEMPLOYED he wouldn't be sworn.

Even if you put an active police officer on the post he's NOT going to stop ten or more shoplifters. He can't shoot them for squeezing the Charmin.

The only REAL solution here is to find a way to control access to the store.

Comment

Originally posted by The Night Rider View Post

He specifically refrenced UNEMPLOYED Police Officers. If the cop is UNEMPLOYED he wouldn't be sworn.

Even if you put an active police officer on the post he's NOT going to stop ten or more shoplifters. He can't shoot them for squeezing the Charmin.

The only REAL solution here is to find a way to control access to the store.
              In that case, if they don't hold any commission whatsoever, I guess they'd have better training with their policing background to deal with whatever circumstances could arise, compared to, say, a barely-experienced guard with a gun on his hip

But as far as what either party could LAWFULLY do in said circumstances - it's all the same

Comment

Originally posted by The Enforcer View Post

In that case, if they don't hold any commission whatsoever, I guess they'd have better training with their policing background to deal with whatever circumstances could arise, compared to, say, a barely-experienced guard with a gun on his hip

But as far as what either party could LAWFULLY do in said circumstances - it's all the same

The problem with using Ex-cops is their training assumes a duty to respond AND a commission. I've worked with a few Ex-cops that I had to spend the ENTIRE SHIFT reminding them that security is all about OBSERVE AND REPORT.

Comment

I have a lot of experience hiring ex-police officers into retail security. For the most part they didn't work out and I had to let them go, with a few exceptions. They found it very difficult to make the adjustment from the black and white world to now it's a gray world. I wrote about this very topic in a couple of publications.
                  Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                  Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                    I have a lot of experience hiring ex-police officers into retail security. For the most part they didn't work out and I had to let them go, with a few exceptions. They found it very difficult to make the adjustment from the black and white world to now it's a gray world. I wrote about this very topic in a couple of publications.
                    As always Curtis you are good BTW As I write this your Philadelphia Flyers are losing to my Boston Bruins hockey team Hold on CG Boston will be in Seattle soon enough
                    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post

As always Curtis you are good BTW As I write this your Philadelphia Flyers are losing to my Boston Bruins hockey team Hold on CG Boston will be in Seattle soon enough
                      Cope ... moved away from Philly a few years ago. We now live in Ohio along Lake Erie. Think Cedar Point. Our very last move for sure.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I will be watching the Eagles tomorrow.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X