Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contract Security Vs. Private Sector In-House Security Vs. Public Sector Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Security Vs. Private Sector In-House Security Vs. Public Sector Security

I think we may have had this, or a similar, discussion in the past. Anyway. are you currently working contract security, private sector in-house security or public sector in-house security?

Which do you prefer and why? Are you planning on staying where you are right now or are you looking to make a move?

I can only speak to my end of the U.S. (Pacific NW). I am currently working in-house, which I've always preferred. I've worked for one or two contract security companies that were decent, but I like having consistent hours and just working in one place - you get to know the site, the people, etc.

Public sector in house is probably the best paying, but there seems to be a lot of politics. One of the hospitals in Seattle is notorious for its dysfunctional security department (I've worked at two places that regularly hired good guards from them). The county guards at the courthouse are under paid and under equipped, due to the progressive politics here.
    Last edited by Condo Guard; 12-18-2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I've never worked anything but contract security. Apparently I've been lucky in that most of my assignments have been long term OR I knew it was a temporary assignment from the beginning.

The downside has been that I have occasionally been transfered from MY post to replace a guard who had been removed from THIEIR post. THEY screwed up and I lost an assignment I really liked because of it.

Comment

I will be going back to campus security in two weeks for a technical college. I did campus security for a community college, part time, for 2 1/2 years. An opportunity came up for an okay full time job that was not campus security about a year ago, so I took it. I did find it to be quite boring, routine and monotonous.

Then, the first part of November the campus security officer job was announced. It is about 4 miles from my farm, so I can drive there in less than 10 minutes. At first, I sort of blew it off, but after thinking about it I thought, "Oh, what the Hell. It is just an application." So, I applied.

Shortly after the closing, I received an invitation for a virtual interview. Again, I thought I would simply see where it goes. As it turns out, it went very well. I really seemed to connect with all four people on the interview panel. The shift would have been 1430-2300 M-F and a ten hour shift W-Sa.

A short time later, I was invited for an in-person interview. I went to that a matter of days later and it also went very well. They mentioned that they were reconfiguring shifts and asked if Monday through Friday, 0630 to 1500 would interest me. I agreed to that, of course.

The boss also mentioned that the patrol vehicle is a brand new UTV that was ordered a while back, but is just getting set up for campus patrol. My wife and I ATV as a hobby, so patrolling in a UTV should be kind of fun.

Since I was also working in that level of government, my vacation and sick time just carry over. The health insurance and defined benefit pension plan also come over with me.

The other nice thing is in less than two years I will be eligible for post-retirement health insurance. Health insurance is a big deal these days, so I plan to stay at least until I am eligible for that benefit!
        Last edited by Jim1348; 12-24-2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Night Rider View Post
          I've never worked anything but contract security. Apparently I've been lucky in that most of my assignments have been long term OR I knew it was a temporary assignment from the beginning.

The downside has been that I have occasionally been transfered from MY post to replace a guard who had been removed from THIEIR post. THEY screwed up and I lost an assignment I really liked because of it.
          Yes I work contract security Two weeks before Christmas day of 2020 my assignment at my work place cut back on Guards I was transferred to another
          account by my contract security I was not pleased I had to work Christmas morning but at least I had $$$ for Christmas gifts for my grandkids
          http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X