Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota law is weird...what can I carry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota law is weird...what can I carry?

So...because I've been cooped up during corona, I've been researching Minnesota's laws governing security companies. There are some (imo) that are rather dumb like the one regarding vehicle colors (MN statute 169.98). And, according to MN statute 326.32, unarmed officers can't even carry handcuffs. Tasers are classified as "dangerous weapons", so they're out of the picture. What CAN unarmed guards even carry? Everyone who I talk to has a different answer. A can of pepper spray is great, but only at closed distances! Also, what happens when the guard needs to detain someone? Not handcuffs! The other options are often expensive (e.g. pepperball TCP, etc). Any leads or interpretations of the law welcome, as I am at the end of my sanity!

You may not like this answer, but you carry what you authorized to carry and have been trained on by your employer. In these litigious, challenging times I simply would not carry anything more or anything less. My personal opinion is that it would be very foolish to arrest someone, if you are unarmed.

There are lots of less-lethal choices out there. Everything from ASP batons to OC spray. For security, they should be used to defend yourself, when absolutely necessary.

Imagine, if you will, if you are working as a security guard somewhere for a contract company. You get in a fight and hit someone over the head with an ASP. Then, the person you struck, contacts an attorney and he finds out the following:

1) You were carrying a weapon that they did NOT authorize you to carry.

2) You have NO training in the use of that weapon from a certified trainer.

Can you imagine where things go from there?

I can tell you that I ahve been named in a lawsuit. I did everything by the number. The plaintiff did NOT prevail, but giving a deposition and dealing with it is NOT very fun.

I realize that you are young and bored. Give some thought to joining the Police Reserves or Police Explorers.

Comment

^Yep. +10000000^

Comment

I am an active police explorer, have been for 3 going on 4 years, so I am familiar with deescalation, as well as handcuffing, approaches on vehicles, etc. I am not saying this qualifies me for anything, just that I have knowledge of these subjects. I will be applying for police reserve officer in 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by OfficerD View Post
          I am an active police explorer, have been for 3 going on 4 years, so I am familiar with deescalation, as well as handcuffing, approaches on vehicles, etc. I am not saying this qualifies me for anything, just that I have knowledge of these subjects. I will be applying for police reserve officer in 3 months.
          No. You have an INTRO to those subjects. In a supervised and non tactical training environment. That’s all.

Get rid of the police car.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X