Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does your site or department have a "DEFCON" system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your site or department have a "DEFCON" system?

Similar to the military's Defense Condition (DEFCON) system, or the old Homeland Security color-coded "Terror Alert Level" system. Our site has nothing formal, but with COVID-19 and an increase in crime (the police aren't even booking most non-violent suspects anymore) I've started thinking it might be a good thing. We do have a disaster and incident response manual, but no formal system when things start going south except telling the guards to increase patrols.

The only drawback I see is it could cause concern for non-security employees, and a lot of guards would just ignore it - minimum wagers are just going to punch in as usual, look busy, and clock out with no change in behavior.

Sounds like a good idea to have some type of system in regards to threats to the site. I can see some being alarmed and careful wording of the system could help minimize that.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Who would make that decision and be responsible for the fallout?

Comment

I've worked DHS contracts and currently work as a civilian police officer on a military installation. DEFCON has now been replaced by FPCON (force protection condition). That's how it is on all DoD sites but we never had that in the GSA-owned buildings I've worked at.

Comment

I work Government so we follow FPCON but I've never seen anything similar on "normal" sites I've worked.
          "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

I've never thought about it before this year. My thinking is that with all the unrest going on, the "threat level" against a facility might change rapidly. When we initially dealt with the protests it really was "on the fly," and we did well (with a lot of luck, for sure). I asked one of the S/Os who has worked there for almost 20 years - he said they had never had any threats close to what occurred this year.

My only recommendation is that if your site is in a major city close to city or federal buildings, you should at least have a page in the emergency manual titled, "civil unrest." Don't rely on the police to come - in Seattle they have deliberately targeted the precinct stations, which has slowed response all over the city.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X