Black band for badges protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black band for badges protocol

Thankfully have not had to deal with this recently, but curious for future reference. I know security is not required to wear the black band over the badge when a police officer is slain; it appears to be a company by company policy. Two companies I worked for passed them out when a local officer was killed; we wore them until the funeral or for 30 days, if I remember right. Is there an "official" policy on this?

I've also seen the new mourning bands have a blue stripe - is that just for law enforcement? Thanks in advance for any info.

Security wearing black bands to mourn the respect of a police officer seems a little "wannabe-ish" to me, to be honest.

Comment

Agreed. In the one case we had guys working for us that had family members in the affected department; in the other case it was just the guards that worked in the city where it happened. I would never personally wear a blue stripe one ( for the same reason I don't have a blue stripe American flag) - I'm not a cop and I don't have any family currently in law enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        Agreed. In the one case we had guys working for us that had family members in the affected department; in the other case it was just the guards that worked in the city where it happened. I would never personally wear a blue stripe one ( for the same reason I don't have a blue stripe American flag) - I'm not a cop and I don't have any family currently in law enforcement.
        Yeah, I recognize that there are situations in which security guards (as individuals or as a company/department) might want to honour police officers. To be honest, I don't really think that it's wannabe-ish in itself, but it can give that impression to outsiders.

I know there's no central authority with the "thin X line" icons that distinguish various groups, but maybe there could be some sort of honourary-type, such as a dotted line instead of a solid line. It could be intended to show support with X group without suggesting that you are a part of that group.

Comment

I think the unofficial protocol for "mourning bands" is for folks in the same community to wear them while the flags are half-staffed. I know in California your badge number or name must be visible at all times; so if you don't have your name on your uniform your mourning band can't cover your badge number.

I think wearing of morning bands (called draping the badge) would be appropriate if it was someone who had ties to your department.
          http://firearmsnerd.com/

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X