Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analysis of the El Paso Walmart incident

https://www.securitymagazine.com/blo...curity-failure

Curious about opinions on this. I think in general his analysis is correct, but I see some issues. An automatic lock down system sounds good, but I'm curious if it would violate fire code, as well as having to make sure there are no accidental triggers.

Yes, a guard at the door is always a good idea, but retail is always so concerned about their image. With shrinking profit margins, security may be one of those expenses that short sighted managers forego to save a buck. Not sure how you get past those two resistance points.

The walmart in my city just redid its "loss prevention/security " into a plainclothes, unarmed force whose main job is to observe a crime and report it to the pd. We used to have uniformed security guards that could detain people. Prices have skyrocketed due to the dramatic increase in theft, as well as most people (that I've talked to lol) feeling generally less safe. Our pd has stepped up patrols but I feel like walmart should either contract armed security or at least bring back their old uniformed officers.

As for your original questions, I think that they should sit down with the local pd and hash out a plan that will fit both agencies guidelines.

Comment

The author of the article is making sweeping assumptions. He isn’t as great as he thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        https://www.securitymagazine.com/blo...curity-failure

Curious about opinions on this. I think in general his analysis is correct, but I see some issues. An automatic lock down system sounds good, but I'm curious if it would violate fire code, as well as having to make sure there are no accidental triggers.

Yes, a guard at the door is always a good idea, but retail is always so concerned about their image. With shrinking profit margins, security may be one of those expenses that short sighted managers forego to save a buck. Not sure how you get past those two resistance points.
        This guy is a CLOWN! He's obviously never been in or managed a crisis of this magnitude (none of us has) based on his unrealistic expectations. I will point out my favorites.

First, his assertion that there should be a "expertly trained, well paid security with law enforcement level training" What he is suggesting is a SWAT Operator, Special Forces Operator or James Bond LOL! Someone of that caliber would be cost prohibitive for ALL retail businesses. Not to mention there would have to be more than one of these super security guards to cover all shifts and days off.

As we all know security contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder at the time and when the contract is up, the original company is often undercut by the next company which in turn makes the pay for security guards shrink each time. Do you think a security company who is low-balling a contract is going to pay top dollar to these highly trained security guards?

Next I want to address the "security control room" what does he think Walmart is? A top secret military installation? or a prison? Walmart's don't have "security rooms" that are manned by a team of high speed control room operators. They have a flat screen or 2 in the managers office or the Lost Prevention office that are being manned by minimum wage workers who are most like playing on their phones instead of vigilantly watching the screens for shoplifters much less armed gunmen! Give me a break!

Lastly, but not least is his ridiculous idea about ballistic glass doors being locked so that no one can get in or out. This guy is smoking crack. To prevent people from escaping out of harms way would be effectively like shooting fish in a barrel. Imagine the scene after a mass shooting in a building where corpses are piled up in front of the locked ballistic doors, raising the death toll simply because people couldn't escape! Think of the money nightclubs have paid after a fire and people died because they couldn't get out of chained doors.

Common sense has to prevail sometime, we cannot prevent these kinds of attacks. You can come up with all the gun laws and turn every public space into a fortress but at the end of the day all someone needs it the motivation, means and opportunity to kill.

The only thing all of us can do is be vigilant by keeping your head on a swivel, being prepared by being armed, properly trained and plan ahead for what your going to do if you are confronted with a deadly force assault whether you are on the job or shopping with your family.

Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X