Loading dock blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loading dock blues

Trying to find the simplest solution to what I hear is a problem that's been going on for long before I arrived. So, our loading bays are not monitored in real time, i.e. we have cameras but nobody is watching them all the time. They are "self serve." We get called when we've got more drivers arriving than bays, or when the compactors & dumpsters in the the back are blocked and the garbage guy shows up for pick up.

Easiest solution I can think of is just tell the shops their drivers have to have a contact # or the name of the store posted in the windshield, and if there is a problem and we can't find the driver, the store gets a charge or a fine. Other solutions, like calling Security to check in or some kind automated parking pass (like at the parking garage) wouldn't work for a variety of reasons. Towing the trucks won't work - size, time involved and push back from the stores would all factor in.

Its been awhile since I've worked commercial security, so I figure I'd toss it out here just to see if I'm missing an obvious solution. I personally don't like the whole "self serve" loading dock arrangement, but I guess that's the way they've always done it.

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    Trying to find the simplest solution to what I hear is a problem that's been going on for long before I arrived. So, our loading bays are not monitored in real time, i.e. we have cameras but nobody is watching them all the time. They are "self serve." We get called when we've got more drivers arriving than bays, or when the compactors & dumpsters in the the back are blocked and the garbage guy shows up for pick up.

Easiest solution I can think of is just tell the shops their drivers have to have a contact # or the name of the store posted in the windshield, and if there is a problem and we can't find the driver, the store gets a charge or a fine. Other solutions, like calling Security to check in or some kind automated parking pass (like at the parking garage) wouldn't work for a variety of reasons. Towing the trucks won't work - size, time involved and push back from the stores would all factor in.

Its been awhile since I've worked commercial security, so I figure I'd toss it out here just to see if I'm missing an obvious solution. I personally don't like the whole "self serve" loading dock arrangement, but I guess that's the way they've always done it.
    Only 2 solutions I can come up with is either limit access in and out of the bays by controlling the physical access or find a way to make the shops responsible for the trucks. Regardless of what solution you use there is going to be push back from the shops. A possible compromise would be to keep the trash truck to a constant schedule (1-hour window and set day) and just control the access for one hour before the truck is supposed to arrive and end the control when the trash gets emptied
    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
    Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines. Trouble is, the trash co. can show up anytime in a 6 hour window. Posting a sign would be OK, but we've got lots of signs already, and half these guys don't (or can't) read signs. It's a new one for me - I've always worked at facilities where you checked in with Security or you had a clearly marked truck and you were already vetted. A little extra work but it did cut down on blocking problems.

Comment

A random idea here.

Have a policy stated that the trash truck needs to notify security one hour before arrival or they will be denied access. This will give you time to get vehicles moved or the trash will start to back up. I would guess that the trucks come on a set day so overlapping coverage for that one day would not be too much of a strain on the payroll. All you would really need is the clients backing and management who will not throw you under the bus.
        Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
        Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X