Tips for newbie Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for newbie Guards

Tips for newbie Guards., and yes Veteran guards Most important Guard who are employed by contract security

{ Securitas, Allied Universal}

Do your job

Mind your own business

Shut the f*ck up

It is not your concern, and then it has nothing to do with you

Be friendly, not friends

Respect others privacy, if you hear something do not repeat it

Keep all personal views, and most important political at home

Yes follow Post Orders, and the Contract Guard’s Handbook
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

General: Carry extra batteries for your flashlight. Keep a pair of spare socks. Pack extra snacks - if someone calls off, your 8 hr. shift might become 12 hrs. Make sure your uniform is clean, in good shape and properly worn - it not only presents a better image, but the day you're wearing old sneakers and your neon red t-shirt under under your white uniform shirt, the VP of the company will show up.

Tactical: I check stairwells top down - if I find someone I have the high ground. 60/40 stance is your friend - learn it. Write up lights out - dark spaces attract rats - 4 legged and 2 legged. Keep your area clean - bottles, 2x4s and bricks can all become weapons in the hands of suspects.

Career: every job is training for the next job - even if you are just there as an insurance break, you can still bring value to the client and your employer. You always want your last employer to say, "Did a great job, sorry to lose him / her." And do a good job for the rest of us - we fight against stereotypes daily.

Comment

I forgot about bringing extra munchie. I worked a construction site about 10 years ago on a weekend, 0800-1600
      NO relieif. I was fortunate, construction site 5 miles from my home My wife brought me a BK whopper and cup of Java

Agree never know when VIP gonna show

And write informative DAR's

Comment

Equal Respect for all
        Treat Man and Woman equally.
        All races equally All religions equally
        No matter what their sexual beliiefs are Respect
        Whether Janitor, or VIP it is Yes Sir, Yes Mai'am
        Last edited by copelandamuffy; 04-13-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Excellent Federal Security

Be inquisiative, BUT know the fine line of what is your busineess to know, and not know
          If unsure, best to MYOB

And a warm smile helps
          Some employees of where you are contracted to work, never smile, never talk
          That is their business, not yours. As long as they comply and obey the rules that is all you can ask

And please be on TIME. Arrive at your post 10/15 minutes early
          Nothing drives the Guard you are relieving NUTTY if you are late
          Yes things do happen. Traffic, alarm failed to go off to wake you

BUT how many flat tires can you have on your Chevy Malibu?
          How many times is your baby sitter going to be late
          And come to work already dressed in your uniform
          Last edited by copelandamuffy; 04-26-2019, 11:56 PM.

Comment

If you actually enjoy working in the security field and want to make it a career, you can make it a comfortable and

successful
            life-long journey. No matter what type of security position you're in now, you can make a long-term plan

from where you're
            at now to where you want to end up. You may be in a night watchman job that pays $10.50 per

hour now, but keep looking
            around in (and out of) your area for the next position you want to try. If you don't have

the qualifications for the next job yet,
            arrange things so you can take the necessary training. It will all pay off in the

end. Make short-term goals, and then make
            long-term ambitions...and then put them all on a "vision board". Your

vision board could be a chalkboard and a piece of
            chalk. Your vision board might be a whiteboard with a couple of

erasable markers. Mine was a corkboard, several
            thumbtacks, and various computer print-outs. Plan out where

you want to be in five years. Next, plan out where you want
            to be in ten years. Where do you want to be in fifteen

years? Twenty years? What AND who do you want to be surrounded by w
            hen you plan to retire? Do you want to

buy a house? Do you want to pay off your current house? Do you want to
            purchase property in the wilderness and

put an A-frame or log cabin on it? Maybe you want to buy a car or truck. Maybe you
            want a wakeboarding or fishing

boat.

Will your vehicles, houses, and property be paid off by the time you retire? It will be a
            more enjoyable retirement if

everything IS paid off by the time you retire. That way you can think about where you want to
            take your vacations and

road trips, instead of worrying about how the mortgage or the insurance deductibles will be paid.
            Last edited by FederalSecurity; 04-27-2019, 02:24 AM.
            "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
            - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
            — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

Thank you, Cope. It's good to hear from you again after all these years. You and Condo. I hope the years have been

kind to both of you.
              Last edited by FederalSecurity; 04-27-2019, 02:38 AM.
              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."
              - Thomas Jefferson

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.”
              — Vince Lombardi

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

IX. Strive to attain professional competence.

Comment

Originally posted by FederalSecurity View Post
                Thank you, Cope. It's good to hear from you again after all these years. You and Condo. I hope the years have been

kind to both of you.
                Yes those were the days my friend Too many Good people have left this forum
                Some have left because a few knuckleheads made over the top comments

Integrator 97 From Arkansas. His political views 180 degrees opposite mine
                Obama supporter, Me McCain
                But we remained civil

Hotel Security Cool Cat

And a day did not go by some new and interesting topic
                General and Off topic

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post

Yes those were the days my friend Too many Good people have left this forum
                  Some have left because a few knuckleheads made over the top comments

Integrator 97 From Arkansas. His political views 180 degrees opposite mine
                  Obama supporter, Me McCain
                  But we remained civil

Hotel Security Cool Cat

And a day did not go by some new and interesting topic
                  General and Off topic
                  Sadly, there's also those who probably are now in that great big guard shack in the sky.
                  Some younger people probably went into law enforcement and are now spending their time in the LE forums....

Comment

Many are the reasons..some of the knuckleheads...and the reaction of 1 to those knuckleheads wasn't helpful. perhaps now we can get good questions again.

Comment

Another tip for newbie guards (and supervisors): do a good debriefing after big incidents. It is a great way to hone skills, vent and learn. For guards, be respectful, even if you didn't agree with a a supervisor's decision. Ask questions - what should be done better next time? For supervisors, explain decisions, and address mistakes (even your own - we all make them in the heat of the moment). If everyone did great, praise them - positive reinforcement works.

The only thing I ask on incidents is don't question me in the moment unless I clearly need information (i.e. if I tell you to go south and you just saw the suspect run north, let me know - I'll change the order). Afterwards is fine. And just understand that I don't make policy, I just carry it out.

On a side note, I am happy to see the forum getting back on track. Thanks to all those who participate or even just read - knowledge is power.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                        Another tip for newbie guards (and supervisors): do a good debriefing after big incidents. It is a great way to hone skills, vent and learn. For guards, be respectful, even if you didn't agree with a a supervisor's decision. Ask questions - what should be done better next time? For supervisors, explain decisions, and address mistakes (even your own - we all make them in the heat of the moment). If everyone did great, praise them - positive reinforcement works.

The only thing I ask on incidents is don't question me in the moment unless I clearly need information (i.e. if I tell you to go south and you just saw the suspect run north, let me know - I'll change the order). Afterwards is fine. And just understand that I don't make policy, I just carry it out.

On a side note, I am happy to see the forum getting back on track. Thanks to all those who participate or even just read - knowledge is power.
                        Good CG: And write in your DAR, or do an Incident Report as soon as reasonably possible
                        What maybe diddly-poop to you could be critical to the client to read

Comment

1) Know the address of the building you're working at.
                          2) Have a general idea of what direction is north.
                          3) If you are issued a pair of keys or a pass, don't carry them in a jacket. You'll forget them in the jacket when you need them.
                          4) There are post orders, but the things you need to know about a site are generally found in three places: a) Post orders, b) Memos, c) Standard operating procedures that no one ever bothered to write down.
                          5) Depending on the site/contract, there are people who can get you fired if they make a complaint. In theory, following policy 100% of the time is a good idea, but sometimes you need to make exceptions.
                          6) The client is not interested in hearing about suggestions for improving security from guards. Don't mention things unless they ask.
                          7) Most clients don't want the guards to call the police without checking with them first, unless the matter is very urgent.
                          8) Bring extra food (and water, if it's an isolated site).
                          9) Find the right type of site for you. When you're starting with a company, you need to go where you're needed, but you should eventually try to find a site that suits you.
                          10) If you're working at a post where you get replaced by someone at the end of your shift, never assume that you'll be replaced on time (or at all) by the person unless you know them and know they're reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by TOII View Post
                            Many are the reasons..some of the knuckleheads...and the reaction of 1 to those knuckleheads wasn't helpful. perhaps now we can get good questions again.
                            Perhaps you now see the work that went in to shut down those knuckleheads and how nice the forums are.

You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post

Perhaps you now see the work that went in to shut down those knuckleheads and how nice the forums are.

You're welcome.
                              I have no problem with someone who does not share my views
                              As long as we are civil to one another

If the post orders are not stringent how patrols are done, as long as they are done, maybe you do patrols different than "I"
                              We have had members of this forum who were good people but did not see eye to eye with some of others on the forum
                              NO problem. Yes keep nice about this

Those knuckleheads? The empty barrel makes the most noise

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X