Security Theater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Theater

The client that I work for is a national chain. Apparently, at one of their locations across the fruited plain somebody stole some freight out of one of their warehouses. They suspect it was a third-party delivery driver and now they want us to log each third-party delivery driver that delivers to this site in and out.

I don't have a problem with that, it makes sense to me and I understand why they're doing it. What I don't understand is if they think this is an issue wouldn't it make sense to have me open the trailer before any third-party contractor leaves the site?

The way it works now is the TPC brings a loaded trailer, drops it, picks up an empty trailer and leaves. There's no variation. With the exception of shelving that is a part of the trailer, they should never be leaving with anything in the back of the truck.

So it wouldn't be a case where I would have to go over their bill of lading and know what was in the truck or anything like that. Literally all they have to do is open the back of the truck and show that it's empty and they're done. However, the client doesn't want to do that. They feel like it's too strict of an approach and they just want us to log the TPCs in and out so that if something does come up missing they can track who was here.

So the client doesn't want to do anything to actually prevent the thefts, they just want to give the appearance that they're doing something.

It is either a time issue or a union issue. Time, as in they don't want to slow down the operation, even though the time it takes to sign out a guy is pretty much the same as looking into an empty container.

If even some of the TPCs are union drivers, that may be the real issue. I worked on the docks years ago, and (some) of the union truck drivers and most of the longshoremen were the worst when it came to dealing with security measures - the excuse was always "You're wasting my valuable time!"

Comment

Might be a legal issue. Even if if it a company trailer on company property it COULD still be considered search THEM(TPC driver) as in an illegal search of his "person".

You can ASK them for their names or paperworks, but not 'search' them.

IIRC someone in my training asked "Can't employer just have employees sign something that says they agree to searches at work?" and answer was "mostly not really because the employee can always change their mind".

Fact that its a TPC would mean you got less rights to search a company 'container' that is under their physical control.

Its a funny thing but I guess logging them in and out is non-accusatory and could be "Just to make sure YOU are gonna get paid" or "in case something bad happens and you don't show up we'd want to know ASAP to send help". But checking they aren't stealing stuff, every time, is kinda unfriendly, and will lead to "push back" in some weird way. Formerly happy employees are gonna invent ways to miss times and say "If they wanted it on time they could stop making me get out and open the trailer every time".

Sounds like your boss has read "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Its a little dated and not sure some of it would work today, especially the salesman stuff, in today's biz environment, but even that would likely work in the SECURITY sales biz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCcv7PP-37s&t=24s
      Last edited by Squid; 03-01-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        It is either a time issue or a union issue. Time, as in they don't want to slow down the operation, even though the time it takes to sign out a guy is pretty much the same as looking into an empty container.

If even some of the TPCs are union drivers, that may be the real issue. I worked on the docks years ago, and (some) of the union truck drivers and most of the longshoremen were the worst when it came to dealing with security measures - the excuse was always "You're wasting my valuable time!"
        kinda goofy guy I worked with at Union construction site. He try to sell everyone bottles of booze (regular major label stuff) out the trunk of his car (but at regular or near regular prices AKAIK) because "my uncle is a Teamster".

Talked to a guy who said his job was tailing trucks, just regular stuff like dept stores. He was 'under cover' and never checked loads, driver etc. He was just supposed to call if the truck veered from route and stopped at any liquor store, private home, etc. He didn't like it because it was racking up big mileage on his personal car, and was messing up his home life with kid's schedules, etc.

Comment

This just in.

I got to work tonight I relieved the swing shift guy he went to great lengths to explain this new form we're supposed to fill out and why we're supposed to fill it out and specifically who we're supposed to fill it out for.

the whole time he's telling me there's a TPC trailer sitting behind the "patrol car".

It showed up during his shift and I checked that with one of the client employees. He explicitly explained the requirements of the new policy to me so there's no justification of he didn't understand and I looked at the form after he left and there was no entry.

Stuff like this is why I mind my own business at work. If it didn't happen on my shift I'm not accountable for it and I don't care about it.

I don't start non work-related conversations with client employees or my co-workers. If they start talking to me that's one thing but as a general rule I mind my own business and I confine myself strictly my duties. Most of the client employees don't even know my name I'm perfectly fine with that.
          Last edited by Lunch Meat; 03-02-2019, 05:30 AM.

Comment

You realize that once you became aware of the mistake and allowed it to continue YOU become responsible for that mistake too.

If I was the supervisor you would be getting written up. Te other guard would get it worse though

Comment

Originally posted by v859 View Post
              You realize that once you became aware of the mistake and allowed it to continue YOU become responsible for that mistake too.
              I'm not sure what "mistake" you're referring to, there was no "mistake". The guy knew do supposed to do and deliberately chose not to do it.

If I was the supervisor you would be getting written up. The other guard would get it worse though
              Knock yourself out. By the time I got there there was nothing there but a trailer. I couldn't note what time it got there, I couldn't note the license plate number on the cab of the truck, I couldn't note the driver's name because the driver was gone. All I could have done was write down that there was a trailer sitting in the lot from XYZ shipping and we knew that.
              Last edited by Lunch Meat; 03-06-2019, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Did you document the trailer ? I know you said everyone knows but most post orders say any unusual condition must be documented. If you do that no problem. If not then there is an issue

Comment

Did you document the trailer ? I know you said everyone knows but most post orders say any unusual condition must be documented. If you do that no problem. If not then there is an issue
                  Nope. Told the supervisor at the end of the shift and went about my business

Comment

Well you notified a supervisor so I would say that counts. Under that fact patten then no you didn't do anything wrong

Comment

Well you notified a supervisor so I would say that counts. Under that fact patten then no you didn't do anything wrong
                      I'm sorry but I'm really not concerned with what you think of my performance.

Last edited by Lunch Meat; 03-06-2019, 11:36 PM.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X