Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what new regs should and CAN we lobby for to boost pay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a basic understanding of fire and life systems, and site specific training is a must. I understand Lunch Meat's point - we've all met "that guy," who thinks he's the expert on computers, alarm systems and elevators, and ends up mucking things up and bringing down the wrath of management. On the other hand, there's no reason to call the security director at 3:00am if you understand a certain trouble alarm is common to the system, is not putting anything at risk, and you are OK to silence it, log it, and have the tech come out during the day.

Higher end companies and industry associations need to do a better job raising client expectations too. I've worked too many places where sleeping guards, lazy guards and incompetent guards just get transferred - but the client keeps the same company, or hires another warm body co., expecting different results. Higher expectations and higher pay would eventually lead to change in all (hopefully).

Comment

I think that Squid's idea of guards learning about their alarm system, etc. is a good one, assuming that the company and client have given it prior approval.

I think that if security is going to grow as an industry, it needs to put less focus on things that are outside of its industry *cough* law enforcement *cough* and focus more on ensuring that its personnel are more skilled in the things that are part of the industry, such as alarm systems. I also think that if security guards want to be able to demand higher wages, they should focus on gaining the skills and experience in the "non-guarding" aspects of security.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post
        I
        I think that if security is going to grow as an industry, it needs to put less focus on things that are outside of its industry *cough* law enforcement *cough* and focus more on ensuring that its personnel are more skilled in the things that are part of the industry, such as alarm systems.
        Fact is Security is growing fast due to ever increasing demand for privatized AKA "do what client wants, not what some Sociologist policy wanker wants" Security that, if not actual Law Enforcement via Citizen Arrests for "quality of life" crimes (like smoking dope at bus stop outside the mall), is clearly doing the same job Police are SUPPOSED to be doing (handling real dirtbags that threaten normal people's daily lives).

I'm constantly seeing (mostly armed) guards were they didn't exist before. Gas station mini-stores, supermarkets, movie theaters, and last but not least Public Parks. Some of this seems to do more harm than good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn9YdML8PPw&t=76s

Other deployments doing much better. They've pushed hoods and thugs out of the neighborhood (and into surrounding cities lol). https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/03/...oakland-hills/

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X