Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

these Reward for Info (for in this case bank robber) need to be 20-50X higher.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squid
    replied
    Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

Yup, a bank robbery can have a financial impact far beyond what was actually taken.

What we have to remember is that the security guard doesn't have to deter anyone from robbing *a* bank. He just has to deter someone from robbing *that* bank. Even if the guard is only a minor deterrence, the robber might find it easier to rob the other bank down the street that doesn't have a security guard.
    Whats the diff between Private Security for poor people VS rich people?

When you work for rich clients OF COURSE you can huddle and pow-wow with neighboring guards from competing firms for mutual support and generally keep the 'hood totally locked down. "We are all on same 'team' at the end of the day".

With poor clients its "we just pay attention to our post, we don't worry about what other people do".

Banks tend to gather in clusters. I'd rather have two guards that try to "work as a team" keeping each other in sight etc among 4 banks than 4 guards all confined to their own bank, not knowing if its normal for a guard to be at other bank or not and no communication.

AFAIK, the purpose of the G4S guards (who are required to stay outside the bank at all times) is just that anyone robbing the bank will need an extra person to "handle" the guard and do so out in public. Just like shooting ranges have rules against lone single unknown persons without any existing guns renting guns, its a lot harder to get TWO people crazy enough to try to rob a bank.

If I didn't know better, G4S likes to hire guards who seem like they might not even fully understand "whats going on" if someone tells them in standard English "don't move, this is a stickup". Around SF Guard will probably think its another aggressive panhandler and regardless of post orders make it his business to evict the bum from premises. Not a good way to start a nice clean bank heist.

Leave a comment:

• Consolewatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Squid View Post

I'm thinking once the Reward goes up the frequency of losses will go way down. Reward only costs if paid, robberies that "don't happen" pay every time. We are in the business of Loss Prevention.

Around here every Bank of America has G4S guard outside full time at $20+/hr + benefits which works out to about $100,000 billable (7:30am-7:30pm 6days week) per year DEAD LOSS. Word from ex-G4S "Lieutenant" is the guards aren't not there to "keep order" or guard parking spaces, or even "protect employees" or anything else except....... "deter robbery".

The bank might only loss $7000 in cash but imagine how much they lose from the incident overall. Whole bank full of employees, lost business for at least a day, lots of work re-setting the accounts after robbery, damage to reputation, 6000+ hours of bank teller time when every customer for next 6 months has to ask about it, did they catch him, were you scared, was he cute, etc.
    Yup, a bank robbery can have a financial impact far beyond what was actually taken.

What we have to remember is that the security guard doesn't have to deter anyone from robbing *a* bank. He just has to deter someone from robbing *that* bank. Even if the guard is only a minor deterrence, the robber might find it easier to rob the other bank down the street that doesn't have a security guard.

Leave a comment:

• Squid
    replied
    Originally posted by Lunch Meat View Post
    The average bank robbery in 2016 netted right around $7,000.

I think I'm somewhat of an anomaly because I've known two bank robbers pretty well. One was my next door neighbor for about a year. He got caught the very first time he robbed bank within a week and he ended up with less than $800.

the other guy I went to church with for a couple years before he lost his mind and started robbing banks. He's going to be in jail for the rest of his life and I'm pretty sure his total take was $20,000 none of which he got to keep.

All that said why should I offer almost three times what was stolen in the robbery for information about it?
    I'm thinking once the Reward goes up the frequency of losses will go way down. Reward only costs if paid, robberies that "don't happen" pay every time. We are in the business of Loss Prevention.

Around here every Bank of America has G4S guard outside full time at $20+/hr + benefits which works out to about $100,000 billable (7:30am-7:30pm 6days week) per year DEAD LOSS. Word from ex-G4S "Lieutenant" is the guards aren't not there to "keep order" or guard parking spaces, or even "protect employees" or anything else except....... "deter robbery".

The bank might only loss $7000 in cash but imagine how much they lose from the incident overall. Whole bank full of employees, lost business for at least a day, lots of work re-setting the accounts after robbery, damage to reputation, 6000+ hours of bank teller time when every customer for next 6 months has to ask about it, did they catch him, were you scared, was he cute, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Lunch Meat
    replied
    The average bank robbery in 2016 netted right around $7,000.

I think I'm somewhat of an anomaly because I've known two bank robbers pretty well. One was my next door neighbor for about a year. He got caught the very first time he robbed bank within a week and he ended up with less than $800.

the other guy I went to church with for a couple years before he lost his mind and started robbing banks. He's going to be in jail for the rest of his life and I'm pretty sure his total take was $20,000 none of which he got to keep.

All that said why should I offer almost three times what was stolen in the robbery for information about it?

Leave a comment:

• Lone Wolf
    replied
    I couldn’t agree more. Make the reward big enough and guys like you and me will go out and do the cop’s jobs for them.

Leave a comment:

• these Reward for Info (for in this case bank robber) need to be 20-50X higher.

https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field...m-bank-robbery

$2500, big woop. Assuming he heisted a measly $20G that still leaves him plenty of cushion for hush money, AND a secret slush fund to go after anyone who takes hush money and still rats.

As a biz proposition, probably not a good idea for your average low life who would know who the robber was to rat him out for the $2500. $2500 ain't gonna get you out of town, and it wont last long.

How much does it cost "the system" to otherwise catch a bank robber once the trail goes cold??? I'm guessing well over $100,000 and likely more like a million or more. Not mention the real costs incurred by all sorts of entities due to increased threat of robber still at large, and costs for when he strikes again.

IMO Rewards should reflect the real value to society of Ratting Out A Bad Guy, and in a case like this should be at least $100,000 but more like $300,000.

If $100,000+ Rewards were being routinely offered for mundane bank robbery, robbers would be even more worried about their own "social circle" than the FBI. Everyone at the bar is gonna wanna know where everyone else was at 11:23am yesterday.

Large Rewards would attract smart PRIVATE SECURITY guys willing to work "on spec" and even pass out their own cash for tips.

Cracks me up when I see $25,000 Reward for some particularly heinous murder. $25G wont even buy a decent used Hyundai. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ctd...760878910.html https://www.ksbw.com/article/hollist...uspect/1340391
    Last edited by Squid; 12-19-2018, 01:48 PM.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X