Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

consumer quality drones being used in Afghan War.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/uk/ga...ntl/index.html

Looks like a consulting job for Squid. I guess for the first 24 hrs. the authorities did nothing, because apparently they didn't have a plan or response procedure for this. (Maybe Brexit distracted them from safety planning.)
    UK police didn't have "a plan or response procedure for this"? UK "authorities" is like a Monty Python skit.

You can't make this stuff up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlNAecgJbro

If I was a casting directer looking for this part I'd say this Chief of Police is over playing it.

Comment

https://www.rt.com/uk/448324-heathro...artures-drone/
      https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/uk/ga...ntl/index.html

Looks like a consulting job for Squid. I guess for the first 24 hrs. the authorities did nothing, because apparently they didn't have a plan or response procedure for this. (Maybe Brexit distracted them from safety planning.)
      Drones back at Heathrow Airport.

https://www.rt.com/uk/448324-heathro...artures-drone/

If the authorities REALLY wanted this to end they would've called me by now, but they haven't. So screw'em. Sooner or later it will have to come out just how incompetent they are. I've done construction at SF airport and talked to others at other MAJOR airports and can confirm that typical brass are complete buffoons that just haven't been exposed due to nothing really ever happening.

All I'd have to do is find a about 3 moderately skilled "fox hunter"(its a radio thing) guys (or gals) and we hang at the airport with gear and wait for someone to report an illegal drone, they locate the transmitter.

Of course, if they were MY sort of evil genius, they be using a remote "transmitter to a transmitter", but what are chances of finding someone on my level???

Comment

This is the type of thing where a savvy private security firm could step up and make a difference. I realize the problems involved - you can't shoot it down, too much liability. Jamming the signal has technical issues and you don't want to interfere with legitimate signals at the airport.

You did hit on an issue - airport managers are used to logistical issues involving travel, not "airport defense" (for lack of a better term). This is something where you might actually consult people who have dealt with the issue (or similar scenarios) and come up with a solution before it happens again. Every technology has a vulnerability - there has to be a solution that would work in a civilian setting.

Comment

This is the type of thing where a savvy private security firm could step up and make a difference. I realize the problems involved - you can't shoot it down, too much liability. Jamming the signal has technical issues and you don't want to interfere with legitimate signals at the airport.

You did hit on an issue - airport managers are used to logistical issues involving travel, not "airport defense" (for lack of a better term). This is something where you might actually consult people who have dealt with the issue (or similar scenarios) and come up with a solution before it happens again. Every technology has a vulnerability - there has to be a solution that would work in a civilian setting.
          store bought drone is gonna have only very specific non-aviation weak radio control system. You can use a store bought walkie talkie or cell at the airport, so you can jam any standard drone.

also, for more fun, you can deploy a bigger faster tough drone against any pirate drone.

few diff ways to do THAT.

1)take out the offending drone with net or simply ram it. remember, "we" are an International Airport so guess who is gonna run out of funds for new drones first. Also...."we" get to recover both drones so ours is likely flying again, while you are "sweating blood" that some of your (or extended family, or "friends" who will rat you out with Scotland Yard comes calling) DNA didn't somehow get left on drone we just captured. Did the wing brush against the sofa where your mom sits??? Did you take it to some Drone Guru for mods, and did you get all his DNA out of under where he electro-taped the wire connections? Hint: you didn't, and he will talk.

2) most fun and kinda James Bond Have higher grade "Spy Drone" follow your drone at a distance, with agents brought into general area in grid covering Drone Range, then closing in assisted by Spy Drone pics of you recovering your drone.

3)once Pirate Drone Control is triangulated, send a Spy Drone to take pics of who is controlling. Might be tricky to dispatch agents, but should be easy to send good drone. PS-how to tell which frequency is controlling drone? Just jam for a second and see if pirate drone affected. Do that about 3 times. Yeah, they COULD be switching freqs, but again how many can play at my level?

PS-Its my belief that the next big war will be the Drone War. It will be as big a diff from prior wars as WW1 and WW2 were from prior wars. It will be like heavy machine guns against cavalierly charges or strategic fire bombing VS cities or Blitz VS trenches. Who will win: Quantity or Quality? Magic 8-ball says "unknown at this time".

Maybe I'll fill out one of these forms for SFO. It where you can 'pitch' a contract that they admit they don't even know SHOULD exist.
          https://www.flysfo.com/business-at-sfo/upitch

"Most of our business alliances and contracts are awarded to companies through a Request for Proposal (RFP) process or competitive bid process; however being at the forefront of innovation means recognizing we don't know it all. Have an idea that could help us serve the needs of our guests and stakeholders? Let us know!

That's where the uPITCH (unsolicited Proposals to Initiate Transformation and CHange) program comes in. Fill out the application and it will get sent to the correct agents here at SFO to review it for a possible partnership."

yeah, right

did I mention the Water and Walnut robber barons of Southern CA got their start when awarded a "highly lucrative" Security Contract for LAX, then used that to flood CA with smack?
          Last edited by Squid; 01-09-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

You DO realize that there were no actual verified sightings, correct? It was a case of Chicken Little.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
              You DO realize that there were no actual verified sightings, correct? It was a case of Chicken Little.
              The incident nevertheless demonstrated a critical security failure, and a need for effective anti-drone strategies in some environments.

Comment

You know not everybody on the other side is an uneducated goat herder. I don't find it the slightest bit implausible that they're using commercially available drones for H&I

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X