Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

consumer quality drones being used in Afghan War.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• consumer quality drones being used in Afghan War.....

by the Taliban to monitor USAF base.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...ghanistan-24-7

Two questions:

1)Why haven't you jumped on the Drone bandwagon, unless you are strictly inside receptionist "security"? Haven't tried it myself but heard it works wonders running dirtbags out of vast parking lot. You can walk near a dirtbag and he figures "he'll be gone soon" but if same dirtbag sees a drone stop and hover, and obviously focus on him, then flyoff he figures "this place is too hot, best to move on". OK, I can think of one reason...liability. Some things you are just better off not asking permission to do, like adding Bike Patrol to a site.

2)I'm pretty sure both locating and jamming consumer tier drone control signals is Boy Scout merit badge/Ham radio hobbyist level project, with personal hobby level budget. You telling me the USAF can't triangulate a consumer grade radio transmission, and hand off the coordinates to mortar crew? Because I have heard that today's mortars can be "one shot, one kill" if you can tell the crew the right spot to target. Hard to believe ROE preclude lethal force on a Drone controller.

Originally posted by Squid View Post
    You telling me the USAF can't triangulate a consumer grade radio transmission, and hand off the coordinates to mortar crew? Because I have heard that today's mortars can be "one shot, one kill" if you can tell the crew the right spot to target.
    The Air Force doesn't have mortars and mortars don't have smart technology, that would be the artillery

Comment

by the Taliban to monitor USAF base.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...ghanistan-24-7

Two questions:

1)Why haven't you jumped on the Drone bandwagon, unless you are strictly inside receptionist "security"? Haven't tried it myself but heard it works wonders running dirtbags out of vast parking lot. You can walk near a dirtbag and he figures "he'll be gone soon" but if same dirtbag sees a drone stop and hover, and obviously focus on him, then flyoff he figures "this place is too hot, best to move on". OK, I can think of one reason...liability. Some things you are just better off not asking permission to do, like adding Bike Patrol to a site.

2)I'm pretty sure both locating and jamming consumer tier drone control signals is Boy Scout merit badge/Ham radio hobbyist level project, with personal hobby level budget. You telling me the USAF can't triangulate a consumer grade radio transmission, and hand off the coordinates to mortar crew? Because I have heard that today's mortars can be "one shot, one kill" if you can tell the crew the right spot to target. Hard to believe ROE preclude lethal force on a Drone controller.
      I’m pretty sure that the .MIL doesn’t need, nor want, your opinions on ANYTHING. They are way ahead of the curve.

If you took the time to remove your head from your fourth point of contact, and stop fantasizing about your security guard skills, you might actually have time to really research a topic, instead of blathering away as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunch Meat View Post

The Air Force doesn't have mortars and mortars don't have smart technology, that would be the artillery
        thats why I said "hand off to mortar crew", but I bet the USAF does have mortars. Did you know the M-16 was designed for USAF 'base security' troops. Not guards but guys who would fight enemy troops. USAF also has Special Forces type guys that go behind enemy lines to direct bombing. My US Army officer bro was mostly mortars in W Germany. Sounded like mortars was the perfect weapon for small force to defend against ground advance, which is what USAF security would be about.

Remember what Col Jack Ripper ordered the base sealed and it required Col Bat Guano's elite US Army force to overwhelm them with tanks, etc?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrrlQc4xvmE

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post

I’m pretty sure that the .MIL doesn’t need, nor want, your opinions on ANYTHING. They are way ahead of the curve.
          https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=103130

17yrs and no end in sight in Afghanistan. When we started we had smart bombs and they only had goats and RPGs. Now they have Drones that our guys don't know how to deal with. I lived in Fremont, CA (which is biggest group of Afghans outside of Afghanistan) for few years directly after start of Afghan War. Everything I heard from Afghans has come true, and its 180' from all US military predictions and plans.

If the US military is "ahead of the curve" I'd hate to see confused bumbling, failure on institutional level, and constantly trying to play technological catch-up with 3rd world shepherds who belong in the Bible more than the 21st century.

Comment

thats why I said "hand off to mortar crew", but I bet the USAF does have mortars. Did you know the M-16 was designed for USAF 'base security' troops. Not guards but guys who would fight enemy troops. USAF also has Special Forces type guys that go behind enemy lines to direct bombing. My US Army officer bro was mostly mortars in W Germany. Sounded like mortars was the perfect weapon for small force to defend against ground advance, which is what USAF security would be about.

Remember what Col Jack Ripper ordered the base sealed and it required Col Bat Guano's elite US Army force to overwhelm them with tanks, etc?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrrlQc4xvmE

The AR 15/ AKA Colt Sporter was designed by Eugene Stoner as a hunting rifle and picked up by the Air Force.

The MOS code for motors is 11C it's an infantry MOS. There may be mortars on an Airforce base but they belong to the Army.

Comment

https://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=103130

17yrs and no end in sight in Afghanistan. When we started we had smart bombs and they only had goats and RPGs. Now they have Drones that our guys don't know how to deal with. I lived in Fremont, CA (which is biggest group of Afghans outside of Afghanistan) for few years directly after start of Afghan War. Everything I heard from Afghans has come true, and its 180' from all US military predictions and plans.

If the US military is "ahead of the curve" I'd hate to see confused bumbling, failure on institutional level, and constantly trying to play technological catch-up with 3rd world shepherds who belong in the Bible more than the 21st century.
              Lots of money being made off this war. Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by Lunch Meat View Post

Lots of money being made off this war. Just sayin'
                even our own propaganda for recruitment etc often shows our troops guarding opium fields.

when money is being spent on other side of world there isn't any of common sense public oversight you'd get when millions disappear into thin air building schools etc in USA. sure there is waste but if a 30 million dollar gym building is just plain not there parents are gonna notice.

Comment

USAF Security Force commander not allowed access to his rifle for qualification, throws tantrum, gets fired.

Yes, this is who is guarding our nuke ICBMs. https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...lying-abusive/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrrlQc4xvmE

Comment

Afghanistan is a complex situation - it has no intrinsic value to us (i.e. no oil). It's value is geographic, which is why the Russians tried and failed to hold that country.

Part of the current drug crisis is due to cheap heroin provided by this "ally." But, no president wants to be the one to pull out or start a drug war, let it become a Taliban training camp again, and risk another terrorist attack that their administration would get blamed for. Factor in war profiteering (Haliburton, all the mercenaries that work for State, etc.) and you have Orwell's perpetual war.

The USAF nuclear forces have had issues since 2007. Part of it was a command restructure, part of it is this is a big, expensive deterrent left over from the Cold War that is needed in some form, but needs an upgrade and probably downsizing. If you're interested, the link below is a from a study that pointed out some of the issues...

https://fas.org/programs/ssp/nukes/n...ns/DSB2011.pdf

Comment

One of reasons (besides a good place to create US Govt fraud) was Lithium. Back in 2000, when electric cars were just getting started, lots of people thought Lithium would suddenly be a world commodity on par with oil. Turns out most claims of Afghan Lithium are simply lies dating from some Soviet era stooge, and the world has enough Lithium anyways.

Wanna know the real big Secret to the Atomic Bomb that will get any American physics professor quickly changing the subject???

In a contest between shielding and detection of "fissionable materials" of the amount and type needed for a A-bomb, shielding wins so bad it ain't funny. Thus, all the fancy "delivery systems" are just bright shiny objects with no real military value. Shielding works so good that in trying to locate shielded "material" you'd end up looking for 'dark spots' of heavy shielding, rather than emissions of the Material itself. Shielding means Lead (Pb) which is also commonly found in large deposits of old paint cans, fishing sinkers, bullets, yacht keels, toy soldiers, and batteries of all sizes. In addition, while getting the Material is a challenge, designing and building The Bomb once you have Material is trivial, AND you don't need to bring the Material together in any one spot until ready for the "event", making it even easier to shield (and move around with less Lead needed.

https://gutenberg.ca/ebooks/flemingi...tml#chapter101
                      he gave a wry smile, "it will make Vallance's security job, and mine for the matter of that, just a little bit easier in the future. These politicians can't see that the atomic age has created the most deadly saboteur in the history of the world--the little man with the heavy suitcase."

Thus, the whole premise of the novel, that a super-villian (or anyone else) would include a complex and fragile large liquid fueled rocket in a plot to hit a city with an A-bomb is just as silly as all the complex and overwrought methods they always use to try to kill James Bond that always fail.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoQwKe0lggw

Reminds me when I was lone Security graves at S.P.E.C.T.R.A.-Physics back during Reagan's Star Wars program. Unlike Mr Bond, I still bare scars today from when I just had to see what a high powered laser would do to human flesh.
                      Last edited by Squid; 12-13-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

The US government is really good at fighting wars, and they have the skills, experience and technology to do so quickly and with minimal casualties (if you look at Gulf War 1 and 2, and the invasion of Afghanistan, they defeated the countries' armies with incredible skill.

The problem that comes after the "war" part is "nation-building" part, where the US tries to protect a country's democratically-elected leaders from various groups that would try to undermine it. That is the part where the US has a lot of difficulty and is not adequately prepared for.

A classic example is the US spending billions of dollars developing and maintaining stealth equipment for their aircraft, when they're being used against insurgents who don't even have radar systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post
                          The US government is really good at fighting wars, and they have the skills, experience and technology to do so quickly and with minimal casualties (if you look at Gulf War 1 and 2, and the invasion of Afghanistan, they defeated the countries' armies with incredible skill.

The problem that comes after the "war" part is "nation-building" part, where the US tries to protect a country's democratically-elected leaders from various groups that would try to undermine it. That is the part where the US has a lot of difficulty and is not adequately prepared for.

A classic example is the US spending billions of dollars developing and maintaining stealth equipment for their aircraft, when they're being used against insurgents who don't even have radar systems.
                          thats because the people charged with winning the war by defeating the opposing armed force and the "nation builders" charged with taking control of civilian population for some agenda are two diff tribes of US Govt.

Dick Cheney was mostly right that in Iraq we'd be greeted with flowers. We pretty much were, and there was a lull when all sorts of Iraq "elders" and community leaders and prominent businessmen were saying "Thank you for freeing us from Saddam, but now please leave", but instead State Dept started an occupation that strangled all sorts of basic service creating ill will towards US Forces.

I remember hearing about default post-victory plan from MILITARY that was to leave population centers as quickly as possible and post up in un-populated badlands until shipped back to USA. Local language skills not a priority.

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/uk/ga...ntl/index.html

Looks like a consulting job for Squid. I guess for the first 24 hrs. the authorities did nothing, because apparently they didn't have a plan or response procedure for this. (Maybe Brexit distracted them from safety planning.)

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                              https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/uk/ga...ntl/index.html

Looks like a consulting job for Squid. I guess for the first 24 hrs. the authorities did nothing, because apparently they didn't have a plan or response procedure for this. (Maybe Brexit distracted them from safety planning.)
                              Sure, I'll take the case. I can give them all the info and direction they need to solve the problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van

https://www.theguardian.com/notesand...-22440,00.html
                              "TV detector vans exist, but they do not detect anything. They are just for show. TVL have a database of addresses in the UK with or without a licence. It is just assumed that anyone without a TV licence is guilty, and so a campaign of harrassment begins by letters and visits to intimidate people into buying a licence."

I guess gas (sorry "petrol") costs so much Brits can't afford to drive to get harassed so the "Home Office" provides house calls, for Brits to do the same stuff Americans do with our cops. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4mwOebOJI

Sounds kinda proto-Homeland Security. Its literally exactly the same as when Mob goons stop by your newly opened coffee shop and want to sell "Insurance" or membership in the "Neighborhood Safety Association".

I know LOTS of people (including myself, and including people who COULD share or split a Cable TV bill) who have completely stopped even wanting to watch any TV, now that we have WWW. Prob in England is they are stuck with massive offices full of Govt people whose job is TV licenses.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw

Probably just a fellow amateur wannabe movie maker trying to get a few cool and edgy shots of airliners taking off and landing for his project. When making a movie and plot includes someone taking a flight, you can't just use stock footage or ask airline or airport for some recent footage. When I was working at SFO I heard about how some movie studio was filming. They had to "charter" a whole empty airliner (and block out runway time$$$$) to get a few (boring, nothing else going on) shots of an airliner taking off.

I'll talk to him if it keeps up. But I bet the shots he is getting are unprecedented. I imagine the idea is to get shot (from higher and closer than a crane) of plane closing then whip around keeping it in picture and get shot of it going away.

Last edited by Squid; 12-23-2018, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X