• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c0187
    replied
    Originally posted by Squid View Post

Could you elaborate on that?

Got vague recollection of some big change in police police IIRC around 1986 when I was out of Security biz, something about staying "one force level ahead" of a subject. Sounded problematic because your average American figures "First person to physically attack is in the wrong".

Is it "when the LEO thinks the other guy is thinking about attack/resisting"?

Are non-police guards allowed to play by those rules in your state and what State?
    Meaning, if I have done everything to de-escalate the situation and it’s pretty clear this individual means to do me or others harm, physically, I can choose to attempt a take-down or restraint. You don’t have to wait to get assaulted to defend yourself. And yes, for the most part, we are allowed to play by those rules, HOWEVER, since we are not sworn officers, it can get dicey playing by those rules. We’re not trained nearly as well as sworn officers, so it’s usually in our best interests to de-escalate, do whatever is necessary to avoid a physical altercation. Sometimes however, we don’t have that option.

Leave a comment:

• Squid
    replied
    Originally posted by c0187 View Post
    one thing they taught us was that we never need to wait to be assaulted to fight back.
    Could you elaborate on that?

Got vague recollection of some big change in police police IIRC around 1986 when I was out of Security biz, something about staying "one force level ahead" of a subject. Sounded problematic because your average American figures "First person to physically attack is in the wrong".

Is it "when the LEO thinks the other guy is thinking about attack/resisting"?

Are non-police guards allowed to play by those rules in your state and what State?

Leave a comment:

• c0187
    replied
    I was taught something very valuable where I work:de-escalation. This guard should have kept his distance, called PD and done whatever he could to de-escalate the situation. Instead, he decided to grab the guy and in turn, had his a$$ handed to him. Had I not de-escalated every situation I was in, I would have been in ten times the amount of physical confrontations. In the near 9 years I have been working security for the city, I can count 7, MAYBE 8, physical confrontations I have been involved in. We were trained by the police department at the academy, and one thing they taught us was that we never need to wait to be assaulted to fight back. But, you must practice every form of de-escalation first, if all else fails, physical confrontation is the absolute last resort. This guard should have backed up and called PD.

Leave a comment:

• Squid
    replied
    Originally posted by TOII View Post
    He also removed his firearm and left it out while doing so. I wouldn't hire this guy.
    maybe he was symbolically disarming himself, thus signaling to the thug "Yes, I will fight you man to man".

I coulda sworn the original story was that he left the gun in a brief case on his car's roof and forgot and drove off. At any rate, CA State Law says gun must be in LOCKED CONTAINER and UNLOADED when transporting. I don't think being a cop with CCW means you are allowed to leave unlocked loaded guns laying around in your car.

Nice that Rangers bring their whole families along for "official Govt Biz trip" to high priced SF. I'm guessing that is at least two day hotel suite at about $800/night....not including meals for whole family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...vestigationThe gun used in the shooting was confirmed by forensic crime laboratory technicians to be the same one stolen from a federal agent's car. The .40-caliber handgun had been taken from a U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) ranger's car that was parked in downtown San Francisco, on June 27, 2015.[61] The ranger was in San Francisco for an official government business trip. He testified at trial that he had left the weapon holstered and unsecured in a backpack under the front seat of his personal vehicle while he went to dinner with his family.[12] The ranger immediately reported the theft to San Francisco police
    Last edited by Squid; 11-24-2018, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TOII
    replied
    He also removed his firearm and left it out while doing so. I wouldn't hire this guy.

Leave a comment:

• Squid
    replied
    IMO the guard is good.

When I attended an all White upscale grammar school the rules were "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me", not that there ever was a single actual fight AFAIK. Sometimes a teacher would freak out if we were playing a little too hard.

Then, when I went to a diverse not so upscale Jr HS I was amazed to hear (this was in USA!) that there was a concept of "fighting words" (among supposedly ADULT people no less). "fighting words" meant it was OK to hit someone if you didn't like what they were saying, so you really had to watch what you said around kids that had flunked a few times and were bigger than you.

I put this guard in roughly same class as that little middle aged Indian grocer who tangled with the massive Michael Brown over a pack of cheap cigars. True American hero all the way. If not for men like these, "disadvantaged communities" wouldn't have ANY stores.

Gee, lots of people, if nothing else Fed GibsMint gives you $300/month food stamps....why wont any supermarket open? I can tell you from my brief career in supermarkets that the Holy Grail of the biz is to open a branch in an area without lots of competition. When managers meet to bust balls about store performance the level of competition or lack of, is always a major point. https://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakla...t?oid=14130481

"We at that store employ security 24 hours a day, and we also employ off-duty law enforcement there to supplement the security," he added. 24/7/365 ARMED GUARDS for the Squishy Machine and stale Ding-Dongs AND off-duty LEOs because often just an ARMED GUARD not enough???

Guess who PAYS for all that? Baby's Mommas of big dumb guys that trash talk just because a guard left his piece on a counter.

PS-As a Security Professional, I don't like all this talk about "de-escalation" training for LEOs, security or other people managers. IMO these trained professionals should try to "escalate" people they suspect are on the edge, so that the problem can be dealt with by them, rather than kicking the can down the road and having the Problem Person "go off" on some unsuspecting person later, and probably have the Problem Person lie his way out of it. Problem People are always gonna be the ones who know exactly how to lie their way out of an unprovoked attack on random innocent person.

Its like if an aircraft mechanic sees a possible problem and says "better not check it out. might find other stuff wrong, who needs to open a can of worms. once it leaves this airport its someone else's problem"
    Last edited by Squid; 11-22-2018, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• VIDEO: Security Guard Shoves Much Larger Customer Inside Tulsa QuikTrip

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmat...0OS-E90p4hTpA/

Cell phone video captured the moment when a heated argument between a security guard and a customer turned into a brawl.Tulsa, OK – An Oklahoma activist group is calling for a criminal investigation after video surfaced that showed a physical altercation between a QuikTrip security guard and a customer (video below).

We the People Oklahoma has demanded that police determine whether or not the private security guard who appeared in the video is also a sworn law enforcement officer, Tulsa World reported.

"If it is found that the security officer has [Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training] certification, we call for a review and possible revocation of his certification due to alleged recklessness leaving his firearm unattended followed by unnecessary use of force with an apparently unarmed black man," the activist group said, according to Tulsa World.

The incident occurred on Sunday night at a QuikTrip store on Garnett and 11th, KOTV reported.

Jasmine Cooper, who recorded the fight with her cell phone, said that she was inside the store when she heard the security guard and a customer yelling at each other.

“We were getting a drink and I started hearing yelling and we look over and this guy is just yelling at the security guard,” she told KOTV.

It was unclear what transpired prior to the argument.

The video showed the security guard and a man in a black tank top arguing at the front counter of the store.

“I will have your job, and your son’s job, and your b---h be suckin’ my d--k,” the customer told the guard.

“You took your weapon off, dislodged your firearm, then you left it sittin’ on the f--king ground, stupid!” the customer yelled.

The security guard took a step towards the man and told him to “back the f--k off,” at which point the customer invited him to call the police to the scene.

The customer told him that his brother is a law enforcement officer, and that he was sitting right outside.

The security guard then stepped forward and shoved the man backwards into a display case, the video showed.

“Don’t get in my f--king face, b---h!” the guard told him.

“I ain’t in your face,” the man replied, just before he punched the security guard in his head.

The men continued to tussle and delivered several blows as multiple other customers jumped in and tried to pull them apart.

A second video showed the customer walking towards the store exit, when the security guard suddenly deployed an expandable baton.

Other customers stood in between the men as the video ended.

Police responded to the store, but did not release details regarding what transpired, Tulsa World reported.

QuikTrip Spokesman Mike Thornbrugh said that the company is looking into the altercation.

“We don’t like to have any disturbance in our store, period,” Thornbrugh told KOTV. “We would rather wait for all the facts, but, obviously, what we saw we don’t like.”

The security guard is a part-time employee of Diamond Security, he said.

"We are in communication with the private security company to discuss the incident, and once we get all the facts, we will further those conversations with them," Thornbrugh told Tulsa World on Monday.

"We at that store employ security 24 hours a day, and we also employ off-duty law enforcement there to supplement the security," he added.

We the People Oklahoma has demanded that QuikTrip release the security guard’s name, as well as store surveillance footage of the incident, KOKIreported.

The activist group has also asked police and the district attorney’s office to launch an investigation into the altercation.

You can watch cell phone footage of the incident in the videos below:

Comments (10) Sort: NewestNo. 1-10

BlueLM101
    4 hrs
    I'm not making any assumptions about what precipitated this altercation because none of us know at this point.
    ReplyQuote

Blue_lives_Matter
    1 day
    Last edited by Jim1348; 11-22-2018, 02:45 PM. Reason: Update

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X