Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much training do you get for "current events"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much training do you get for "current events"?

Seems very hit and miss, in my experience. Only one company I worked for would go over active shooter protocols when there was one in the news, bomb protocols if an incident was recent, etc. It may just be a Seattle thing (i.e. passive and complacent), which is kind of sad because we had a Jewish center shooting a couple of years ago, and an active shooter incident at Cafe Racer in 2012.

I know some of the bigger companies have a monthly newsletter where they might mention incidents and review their policies, but I'm curious how many do actual updated training in a timely manner.

When I was a security guard we were always told to "be more vigilant". I found this odd, because we were never told we could "be less vigilent" so it was basically just adding more and more every time.

"Recent worldwide events have put us at unspecified risk. Raise the threat situation to Double Red Plus Plus!"
    "Sir, we're already at Double Red Plus Plus"
    "Ok then, raise it to Double Red Plus Plus Plus!"

Comment

I don't get training, I give training.

Ok, its mostly just texting or notes on the sign in sheet about upcoming events that might impact the site. Like when there was a big planned protest in SF, but many of the dirtbags lived near our site and might start getting brave once returning home drunk and its dark. Nothing happened but better safe than sorry a couple times a year.

Then when the city cops just got an extra stupid new police chief appointed over them, and I figured they would be extra useless and salty.

On eve of big protest/riot (we were a "high" interest site for type of dirtbags that protest/riot) I suggest THIS would be the night to put on an extra guard or two since my Risk Assessment says tonight is about 20X more likely for a major breach/bum rush. And most of the time we got other people around in daytime and don't really need Security. Fell on deaf ears or more likely not in contract so didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
        I don't get training, I give training.
        Now that's the funniest thing I have read today

Comment

Notice the key point in squids story. He, using his vast knowledge of nothing, tried to tell Managers what was best. Of course they didn't listen, nor did the actions happen.

More Epic FAIL.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
            Notice the key point in squids story. He, using his vast knowledge of nothing, tried to tell Managers what was best. Of course they didn't listen, nor did the actions happen.

More Epic FAIL.
            you fail to grasp the whole idea of Security. like "the market" no one except maybe a few insiders pulling the strings can predict when it will strike, so you just have to try to be ready for most likely times.

Comment

Posting something reminding guards that this or that event is occurring nearby is pretty basic, but I have to admit it has not occurred on every site I've worked. There is a real complacency in this industry, which should be anything but.

What disappoints me is the lack of interest in both guards and management to properly prepare. On the guard's part, I realize this isn't everybody's career and most of them probably figure the 4 to 8 hours of training they got is all they need. (Why do any research to be a better guard, since this is just a temp gig until they land a spot at Amazon or become a rock star, right?)

Management's blindness seems to be that if an event has never occurred on or near the site, why train for it? Granted, some scenarios are more likely than others, so you pick what is relevant. But look at the mass shooter and terrorist attacks that have taken place here in the U.S. and in Europe - the softer targets especially probably had no history of any trouble prior to the day they got attacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                Posting something reminding guards that this or that event is occurring nearby is pretty basic, but I have to admit it has not occurred on every site I've worked. There is a real complacency in this industry, which should be anything but.

What disappoints me is the lack of interest in both guards and management to properly prepare. On the guard's part, I realize this isn't everybody's career and most of them probably figure the 4 to 8 hours of training they got is all they need. (Why do any research to be a better guard, since this is just a temp gig until they land a spot at Amazon or become a rock star, right?)

Management's blindness seems to be that if an event has never occurred on or near the site, why train for it? Granted, some scenarios are more likely than others, so you pick what is relevant. But look at the mass shooter and terrorist attacks that have taken place here in the U.S. and in Europe - the softer targets especially probably had no history of any trouble prior to the day they got attacked.
                I've had good luck getting additional training accepted because I always make it relevant and interesting to "use at home". For instance, motion detectors(drive way alarms) and Train Cams. Almost everyone has someone or some situation they sorta wanna spy on, and lots of people don't even know Trail Cams exist. Likewise simple tricks like sticking a blade of grass across a door with spit to be able to see if anyone has opened the door. I always tell people "we aren't guarding, we are HUNTING".

Most clients just figure "my insurance bill is lower when I hire Security that meets State regs, and if something DOES happen that is what the insurance is for". Then again, I couldn't even get a major "grow" operation interested in their own Security beyond having a warm body, and I doubt their multi-million dollar rather fragile operation would be covered by insurance.

Not much to do about random mass shooters, and statistically not really an issue. Better to find out which local gangs etc are around, and what crime patterns exist. Had one "guarding dirt" site but it was parking lot of fancy silicon valley giant full of Porsche and Ferrari. Noticed a stream of dirtbags walking through on semi-reg basis but not in group or anything. Little google mapping showed we were between some Re-Hab Check-In office and major transit hub, which then seemed less of an issue.

Another prob management sees is "if I've got high turnover why invest in training?" Much of high turnover is out of their hands and has to do with personnel's personal lives. Just try to hire guards with stuff on resumes or from big official sites you figure must have decent training, like bank or refinery.
                Last edited by Squid; 11-02-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X