Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do small crimes lead to larger offenses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoCalGuard View Post
    I can tell you that, in general, people who commit violent offenses have history of committing petty offensives first. Correlation is not causation, and in my 4-years of study in criminology, no criminological theory was presented which proved definitively why people commit violent crimes. (There always seems to be exceptions to every rule.)
    First thing I'd look at is quality of data. Are they counting "violent actions" or "arrests for violence" or "convictions for crimes of violence" and even in the latter you will see lots of "just boys being boys" convicted of same offense as nasty attacks on innocent victims. A lot of THAT comes from "good people" who know they are sorta guilty pleading GUILTY at their first ARRAIGNMENT. On the other side, lots of "professionally" violent people (and dedicated passionate amateurs LOL) commit 100s or 1000s of serious acts of violence for decades and never even get cops called.

And don't look to any Psych PhD types to improve data via confidential research/questioning. My Psych 101 prof was telling us that Indian and Chinese women had a high age for first sexual activity of late 20s. (this was supposed to mean they were better people than Americans, of course). I quick look at the age (minus 9 months lol) of average first child birth didn't match his claim. I asked "how do the Western researchers know these women aren't fibbing, especially about SEX?" He said they have training and can tell.

IIRC there are some DNA markers that correlate to violence. I'm predicting two similar probs with using the data: 1) It will be non-PC. 2)It will also be "Legally Incorrect" in that many if not most cops will be shown to be genetically predisposed to turning non-violent situations violent, and this will be an EXACT match for diffs in well documented "work history" of diff cops in same towns, same beats.
    Last edited by Squid; 10-27-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks SoCal. I don't think petty crimes are a "gateway" to violent crimes; the violent criminal is a different kind of person than the petty thief. But I wonder if a lot of petty thieves "graduate" to bigger and better crimes (auto theft, burglary, etc.) because they get away with it.

As far as violent crime goes, all I can say is that the shoplifters and "grab and go" types in Seattle are getting more aggressive - whether that's due to drugs, the weather getting colder or a lack of police presence, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        Thanks SoCal. I don't think petty crimes are a "gateway" to violent crimes; the violent criminal is a different kind of person than the petty thief. But I wonder if a lot of petty thieves "graduate" to bigger and better crimes (auto theft, burglary, etc.) because they get away with it.

As far as violent crime goes, all I can say is that the shoplifters and "grab and go" types in Seattle are getting more aggressive - whether that's due to drugs, the weather getting colder or a lack of police presence, I don't know.
        reason Mob, Drug Dealers, Pimps, etc are always killing people is they can't take their disputes to court, and they can't really be imprisoning people for minor offenses, except maybe the Pimps. lol.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X