Guards who can't dress themselves...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guards who can't dress themselves...

Saw both extremes in an hour. Guard #1 had a decent jacket on, but an old, wrinkled ball cap and blue jeans. (Hopefully he was off duty and forgot his regular jacket?) Guard #2 was wearing an external vest over khakis & a polo shirt. Polo shirt had a grey flag with the blue line, velcro-ed on the sleeve. I'm not even sure if the vest was actually bullet resistant or just a utility-type.

I've worked for companies that don't provide a full uniform; if you can't afford to order your own or go to a store that sells work clothing you can hit the thrift shops - that's where I got uniform pants for $5.00 a pair that were used but in good shape. (I wasn't going to pay $40.00 a pair for a company paying $12.00 an hour...)

Best one I've seen was the guy from a private company that used naval ranks (I guess), since he had the word "Admiral" on the back of his black bomber jacket.

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    Saw both extremes in an hour. Guard #1 had a decent jacket on, but an old, wrinkled ball cap and blue jeans. (Hopefully he was off duty and forgot his regular jacket?) Guard #2 was wearing an external vest over khakis & a polo shirt. Polo shirt had a grey flag with the blue line, velcro-ed on the sleeve. I'm not even sure if the vest was actually bullet resistant or just a utility-type.

I've worked for companies that don't provide a full uniform; if you can't afford to order your own or go to a store that sells work clothing you can hit the thrift shops - that's where I got uniform pants for $5.00 a pair that were used but in good shape. (I wasn't going to pay $40.00 a pair for a company paying $12.00 an hour...)

Best one I've seen was the guy from a private company that used naval ranks (I guess), since he had the word "Admiral" on the back of his black bomber jacket.
    I never liked the "thin blue line" stuff on security guards; it comes off as a little "wannabe-ish" to me, but having a vest over a polo shirt and khaki pants doesn't sound half bad as a uniform in a less formal environment.

Comment

https://www.mercurynews.com/2011/11/...-up-residents/

I interviewed with Bruce of Admiralty Security down at the Santee hell-hole. Didn't get the job (no doubt due to my lack of Spanish) but he CC emailed me his recommendation not to hire for THAT site, but maybe for another site. Classy, most places will just leave you hanging.

That interview is another tale. My question is why don't the judge ORDER the SJPD to do their job, if he is ordering "more security", being as the STATE the judge works for says "private security is pretty much OBSERVE AND REPORT and NOT THE POLICE".

Anyways, IMO its strictly on the firm to have their guards looking how they want unless they are paying over $30/hr.

Don't mind buying good stuff for myself even for security gigs, just because good stuff is more comfy and looks better and never know when you gonna bump into some chick and want to look non-bummy.

But I've been known to wear camo external plate carrier over uniform shirt at non-public armed gigs. Its OK for stylish police detectives on TV to don big external body armor over street clothes.
      Last edited by Squid; 08-04-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I've seen an external vest with polo shirt on LE on raids or warrant service. For security, the polo and khakis is the "friendly" look; the vest kind of cancels that out. I've seen emblems silk screened on polos but I've never seen military-style velcro system on the sleeves.

I understand that security is taking over more dangerous jobs so they have to start using the equipment LE does (like external vests), but the whole wanna be thing is in full force up here in Seattle. And I'm sorry, but if faded blue jeans and your old fishing ball cap are allowed for your uniform, I don't want to see you anywhere other than a construction site or guarding a hole in the ground.

Comment

"bullet proof style vest". I guess that is what you wear if your felony conviction makes it illegal to wear body armor (CA).

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
            I've seen an external vest with polo shirt on LE on raids or warrant service. For security, the polo and khakis is the "friendly" look; the vest kind of cancels that out. I've seen emblems silk screened on polos but I've never seen military-style velcro system on the sleeves.

I understand that security is taking over more dangerous jobs so they have to start using the equipment LE does (like external vests), but the whole wanna be thing is in full force up here in Seattle. And I'm sorry, but if faded blue jeans and your old fishing ball cap are allowed for your uniform, I don't want to see you anywhere other than a construction site or guarding a hole in the ground.
            I guess I'm looking at it from a Canadian perspective, where both security and law enforcement uniforms tend to be more casual than in the US. Here in Canada, when security does wear bulletproof vests, they tend to be worn externally, even with the large companies.

Comment

Now that I think about it, Console, you're right. I guess I'm just used to seeing externals only on military and SWAT down here.
              It was still odd looking for a shopping center, but the guy might have been called from (or going to ) another site and was just there for fill-in coverage. (The store he was at had some recent vandalism, so they hired their own temporary security.)

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X