Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allied universal acquires u.s. Security associates

http://www.aus.com/media-center/pres...rvice-offering
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

The anecdotal evidence would suggest this improves nothing, contrary to the usual fluff PR announcements. Allied Barton (from what I was told) was a good company (or better than most); once it became Allied Universal it went downhill. It doesn't surprise me USSA got sold; they've had issues for several years. Securitas won't improve - they've got their niches and now they have one less competitor.

Guards and middle managers will suffer - guards will continue to get low (or lower) pay; expect layoffs to be in the supervisory and middle management levels.

Comment

Condo Guard:

20 years ago you could pick up the Boston telephone pages and flip to “Security Guards”

1st Security on New England
      Allied Barton if my memory serves me well.. Allied and Barton were two different businesses
      Pinkerton, now Securitas
      Wackenhut..now G4S
      Guarsmark….now Allied Universal
      Apollo..biggie in Metro Boston… ….now Allied Universal
      Watts Security
      South Shore Security
      U.S. Security Associates
      Universal..now Allied Universal
      And a whole list of regional of Guard companies

2018, and many are gone. Purchased/bought out by Securitas, and Allied Universal

&&&
      Not so sure what will go down with this merger of U.S. Security Associates, and Allied Universal

Probable the boots on the ground, the security guard at a trucking terminal, or mall, or gated community…is safe as his/her site supervisor. if they are U.S. Security Associates, they will probably have a new Allied Universal uniform

I worked for Andrews International. purchased by U.S. Security Associates,
      We changed uniforms and nothing else new

I am assuming the Field Service/road supervisor is safe…Even of the merger of U.S. Security Associates,, and Allied Universal maybe too much for one road supervisor to care for

&&&
      It is the regional managers that need to be concerned
      Middle manger.
      Operations managers
      Branch offices? Some may close. The cost $$$ to rent office space in Boston and no doubt Seattle must be in the Ionosphere
      Layoffs at H/R
      Many moons ago a dozen Guard Companies bidding for a contract
      Now just a few

Comment

big Security firms mostly pay the lowest and will not hire anyone with any history of higher pay for entry level gig.

I've only worked for one firm with more than 200 guards and that was just out of High School.

All guards I've met from large firms are Warm Body Only types.

Smaller firms will survive and even prosper because with a large firm you can't get anyone with half a brain, much less half a care, on the phone in less than 72hrs.

Seems like 1/2 the gigs I've worked there has been a "client got pissed because when stuff popped off there was no one at the big firm to deal with anything" story.

Comment

I think it depends on the region. There are still a couple of smaller companies in the Seattle metro area, but they tend to be niche companies or get by on lots and lots of temporary contracts that they can fill faster than the big boys. The big companies have the budget for sales and marketing, and can low ball bids because, as you said, they're paying minimum wage for mouth breathers.

I've worked for big and small companies - and I have to admit, I never lasted at the big ones because I was too busy looking for a better job.

Comment

All guards I've met from large firms are Warm Body Only types.
            I work for a large firm, I was not aware I have a warm body only

Smaller firms will survive and even prosper because with a large firm you can't get anyone with half a brain, much less half a care, on the phone in less than 72hrs…I will be seeing my Doctor today. I am worried as you have written I have a half a brain. Thanks for making me aware of this Squid

Comment

Squid...still making unsubstantiated statements, one at a time. I'm simply amazed he actually has a job.

Comment

Here is my experience with Allied Universal: I used to be a patrol supervisor for a small locally owned security company. We made sure that we took good care of the front line guys. We had health benefits and paid vacation time. All supervisors conducted site checks regularly. Patrol supervisors were armed and responded quickly to the sites when the stationary posts needed help handling a problem. When Universal bought the company, things went downhill quickly. The clients that we had kept for years started dropping us. One of our 80 year old clients got beat up by a transient while the guard provided by Universal was nowhere to be found. One of our guards had a medical problem and fell face first, bleeding heavily from his face. It took the on duty Universal supervisor two hours to get to the site. Prior to the "acquisition" the response time for supervisors would be less than 10 minutes. They replaced our well equipped patrol vehicles (Lightbar with alley lights and takedowns, Spotlight, Air horn & PA, Radio, Fire extinguisher. etc) with some of their crappy fleet. I left the job after they decided to disarm us completely. All I can say is good luck to USSA and their Officers.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Security Officer View Post
                  Here is my experience with Allied Universal: I used to be a patrol supervisor for a small locally owned
                  are you SF as in 'Frisco? Thats my area, too. But I'm not in Security at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post

are you SF as in 'Frisco? Thats my area, too. But I'm not in Security at the moment.
                    Yes SF as in San Francisco not Special Forces lol.

Comment

From working with them, they deserve nothing but bankruptcy.
                      securitas was crappy, but USSA was even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by ColePhelps1247 View Post
                        From working with them, they deserve nothing but bankruptcy.
                        securitas was crappy, but USSA was even worse.
                        what were the issues?

I've never worked for a big outfit in last 25yrs, partly because my former higher paying career in Construction had them asking "So if you get another construction job paying 3X what we can you will just quit?"

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Security Officer View Post
                          Here is my experience with Allied Universal: I used to be a patrol supervisor for a small locally owned security company. We made sure that we took good care of the front line guys. We had health benefits and paid vacation time. All supervisors conducted site checks regularly. Patrol supervisors were armed and responded quickly to the sites when the stationary posts needed help handling a problem. When Universal bought the company, things went downhill quickly. The clients that we had kept for years started dropping us. One of our 80 year old clients got beat up by a transient while the guard provided by Universal was nowhere to be found. One of our guards had a medical problem and fell face first, bleeding heavily from his face. It took the on duty Universal supervisor two hours to get to the site. Prior to the "acquisition" the response time for supervisors would be less than 10 minutes. They replaced our well equipped patrol vehicles (Lightbar with alley lights and takedowns, Spotlight, Air horn & PA, Radio, Fire extinguisher. etc) with some of their crappy fleet. I left the job after they decided to disarm us completely. All I can say is good luck to USSA and their Officers.
                          As a security guard, if I need armed support or extra "muscle" I'm calling the police to come take care of it, not my security supervisor. Similarly if I as a guard have a medical problem and fall face first, I expect the paramedics to get there quickly. I don't expect my supervisor to get there quickly.

Comment

Depends on the site. The supervisor might get there before the deputy on the other side of the county. Likewise, if the call isn't ranked high but there's still a danger, an armed officer arriving tends to settle everybody down by his mere presence rather than me with just a flashlight and a note pad.

Same on a remote industrial site if there's a medical issue - I'm calling both, and whoever gets there first can at least start or continue first aid. All of this assumes the sup or the patrol officer received more training and is properly equipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

As a security guard, if I need armed support or extra "muscle" I'm calling the police to come take care of it, not my security supervisor. Similarly if I as a guard have a medical problem and fall face first, I expect the paramedics to get there quickly. I don't expect my supervisor to get there quickly.
                              It sounds good in theory until you end up working at a place like Oakland where you get put on hold while calling 911. Or San Francisco where they take their time responding to calls if they are not life threatening emergencies.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X