Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robot begins patrolling San Francisco gas station

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5810428451001/

For those who believe "observe and report" is security's only function, here is your replacement.
    http://firearmsnerd.com/

Originally posted by SoCalGuard View Post
    http://video.foxnews.com/v/5810428451001/

For those who believe "observe and report" is security's only function, here is your replacement.
    Wonder how the robot will work in snow, ice, cold,, torrential rains, and thunderstorms
    Yes Robot try patrolling in 6-9 inches of heavy wet snow

And moves at 3 MPH? Even an old fart like me can move faster than 3 MPH
    Oh yes you can bet the farm somebody gonna steal this

And does this robot write a detailed Incident Report?

No I am not dismissing this, but gonna be interesting
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post

Wonder how the robot will work in snow, ice, cold,, torrential rains, and thunderstorms
      Yes Robot try patrolling in 6-9 inches of heavy wet snow

And moves at 3 MPH? Even an old fart like me can move faster than 3 MPH
      Oh yes you can bet the farm somebody gonna steal this

And does this robot write a detailed Incident Report?

No I am not dismissing this, but gonna be interesting
      Fair enough, but how many (human) security guards will patrol in the snow, ice, cold and torrential rains? The robot will (except maybe the snow part, though I assume in San Francisco that's not an issue).

Also, it may be a slow 3 mph, but it's a constant one (as opposed to a security guard who will do his 5mph patrol once an hour, and then go back to his car/guard post).

I've said it before, but I'll trust a good security guard over most robots or technology. However, I'll trust a good robot/technology over most security guards.

Comment

So its basically a mobile camera platform. I'll be curious in a year as to whether it actually deterred crime or not. So what if it can record license plates? If the police and the courts don't take any action when there's a crime, its better than nothing, but hardly Robo Cop.

I agree with Console about the average guard - I'd take the robot over the guy I have to work with on the weekend shift - the robot moves around, and doesn't hide in a storage area texting its girlfriend and watching videos...
        Last edited by Condo Guard; 07-19-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

I've said it before, but I'll trust a good security guard over most robots or technology. However, I'll trust a good robot/technology over most security guards.
          I agree with Console about the average guard - I'd take the robot over the guy I have to work with on the weekend shift - the robot moves around, and doesn't hide in a storage area texting its girlfriend and watching videos..

Fair enough, but how many (human) security guards will patrol in the snow, ice, cold and torrential rains?

if you are at a site/account that requires patrols of buildings with a Detex wand. then you have to
          do patrols whether rain, snow sleet, cold, or dark of night. And add many sites have cameras and the
          client could be watching from their home

Both of you have valid points. Excellent ! I'd rather work by my lonesome and no matter how hectic, and how busy then work with a useless Guard
          who can't even get out of their own way

And yes curious whether Roberta the Robot can deters crime. Roberta the Robot she ain't no Robo Cop
          Last edited by copelandamuffy; 07-19-2018, 05:41 PM.
          http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Here is my problem with the robot, all it can do is observe and report. With some exceptions, security guards are paid to observe, act, and report. If a woman is getting raped in the parking lot, the robot can take great pictures and video of the rape, however a good security officer can summon aid, sound an alarm, or take physical intervention measures. I think the woman getting raped would much rather have a security guard taking some action vs. a robot taking quality video of her defilement.
            Cameras, even cameras mounted on a robot, are only a deterrent to the criminal who is afraid of getting filmed. There are many criminals, especially in today’s society, who have no fear of getting recorded on video. A real security guard can take action during a criminal event where a robot can only record it as it happens.
            http://firearmsnerd.com/

Comment

I'm in that crappy part of 'Frisco daily. Its not far from "the projects". Maybe me and the boys will introduce ourselves and give that sorry ass bucket of bolts a guided tour of Housing Authority and see if it makes it back home in one piece.

3mph? I bet it will go much faster on its side rolling down them famously steep 'Frisco hills. Most of 'Frisco, chances are whatever it "contacts" at the end of an epic downhill roll it will be "taking a bite out of crime" (or at least public defecation)
              Last edited by Squid; 07-20-2018, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
                I agree with Console about the average guard - I'd take the robot over the guy I have to work with on the weekend shift - the robot moves around, and doesn't hide in a storage area texting its girlfriend and watching videos..

Fair enough, but how many (human) security guards will patrol in the snow, ice, cold and torrential rains?

if you are at a site/account that requires patrols of buildings with a Detex wand. then you have to
                do patrols whether rain, snow sleet, cold, or dark of night. And add many sites have cameras and the
                client could be watching from their home

Both of you have valid points. Excellent ! I'd rather work by my lonesome and no matter how hectic, and how busy then work with a useless Guard
                who can't even get out of their own way

And yes curious whether Roberta the Robot can deters crime. Roberta the Robot she ain't no Robo Cop
                One of my back-burner projects is to combine a kid's size battery powered ATV, some RC controls, and a smart phone with video-chat, maybe drone-TV, for a budget Radio Controled Robo-Guard. Should be possible for well under $500 and able to cruise a mile away, all weather, and post up to let you see and even TALK TO people you can't see behind buildings and up gullys, etc, as well as deliver keys, packages, sign in sheets, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalGuard View Post
                  Here is my problem with the robot, all it can do is observe and report. With some exceptions, security guards are paid to observe, act, and report.
                  [..]
                  I'd say that you have it in reverse. With some exceptions, security guards are paid to observe and report and NOT act.

Comment

Squid may be on the right track - a lot of the new home security systems are tied into the smart phone. When the doorbell rings or the motion sensor goes off, you get a live camera feed an an option to talk / listen to the perp at your house. I think you'd need something a bit more rugged than just a regular rc car chassis, but it wouldn't have to be the Mars Rover.

With less and less police response and wacky places like Seattle and SF that seem to think property crime is OK, people are going to have to start investing in their own security. Not everybody has $3000 to have a B-movie version of R2-D2 on their site - low cost but effective security devices are the wave of the future for the common folk. And anything that's a "force multiplier" for the average, under equipped guard is a plus.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                      Squid may be on the right track - a lot of the new home security systems are tied into the smart phone. When the doorbell rings or the motion sensor goes off, you get a live camera feed an an option to talk / listen to the perp at your house. I think you'd need something a bit more rugged than just a regular rc car chassis, but it wouldn't have to be the Mars Rover.

With less and less police response and wacky places like Seattle and SF that seem to think property crime is OK, people are going to have to start investing in their own security. Not everybody has $3000 to have a B-movie version of R2-D2 on their site - low cost but effective security devices are the wave of the future for the common folk. And anything that's a "force multiplier" for the average, under equipped guard is a plus.
                      "kid's size battery powered ATV," like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pulse-Per...&wl13=&veh=sem $300 at Walmart, $200 here (probably open box returns) https://credomarket.com/products/pul...xoC77IQAvD_BwE

24volt battery and real rubber air-filled tires, 8mph top speed (I can assure you that top speed is due to regulator, not lack of "balls")

Fairly cheap and proven, and most importantly, pre-safety approved even for little kids. The kid's ATV is already lawyer approved to run over your 16month old kid sister. The low-pres pneumatic tires spread the weight over her still linking skull plates, for safety. Unlike a certain poster here I wont name, I've got a mind like a steel trap, and I remember this same type of robot crushed a kid at Stanford Mall, CA recently. https://gizmodo.com/security-robot-p...ort-1783519433

Main mod will be steering and brakes, and maybe a reverse. All that should be child's play for a guy with right skills. RC "monster trucks" already got it, just needs power boost to scale up steering and braking control forces. Attach a raised mast for standing height two way phone chat and visibility, and lights (safety and spot-light).

IMO, at a $500-1000 price point, such a unit would be a no-brainer cost effective "Force Multiplier" for any security post, given cost of warm bodies. IMO it could also greatly improve GUARD SAFETY, and decrease CLIENT LIABILITY.

We all know that "warm fuzzy feeling" we get when we need to approach and deal with some unknown person (nearly always an unpredictable dirtbag/drug fiend). Personally, when ever I'm working alone and need to do so, I call dispatch and keep them live on the phone during the encounter, in case things go south and I'm unable to call 911, cause things can go bad before you can do that.

PS-I may have mentioned before, but a kid's ATV could also be great platform for a caged small dog. The dog will sense and "alert" (bark) at any hiding dirtbags, and the cage will keep him safe from marauding pitbulls (and dog thieves), and muddy or toxic terrain. Nothing makes dirtbag want to "move along" better than a dog they can't get to 10yrds away that starts yapping at their every move, all night long.
                      Last edited by Squid; 07-21-2018, 04:04 PM.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X