No announcement yet.

California now requires psych test for armed security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're right, Steve, in that up to now armed was always a smaller portion of the contracts. Every contract company I worked for only had a couple of armed guys, and they usually had to take other stuff when times were slow (unarmed or bail enforcement, for example).

I think it is changing slowly. Just from anecdotal evidence in Seattle, I've seen more armed security guards in the last two years than I saw in the last decade. I would imagine other cities that are dealing with homeless, gangs or high levels of violent crime are probably seeing a higher demand for armed guards. (See the link below for changes in campus security.)

The MMPI, like any other test, is just one tool. I'm sure a clever sociopath could get his score in the "pass" range. You can pretty much figure out the methodology of it if you've got a couple of psych credits from a university. But a test, along with a backround check and an interview, would certainly weed out bad actors better than just the usual "screening" process for unarmed guards. (And I use the term screening in quotes for a reason.)

https://www.campussafetymagazine.com...s-u-s-schools/

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
      You're right, Steve, in that up to now armed was always a smaller portion of the contracts. Every contract company I worked for only had a couple of armed guys, and they usually had to take other stuff when times were slow (unarmed or bail enforcement, for example).

I think it is changing slowly. Just from anecdotal evidence in Seattle, I've seen more armed security guards in the last two years than I saw in the last decade. I would imagine other cities that are dealing with homeless, gangs or high levels of violent crime are probably seeing a higher demand for armed guards. (See the link below for changes in campus security.)

The MMPI, like any other test, is just one tool. I'm sure a clever sociopath could get his score in the "pass" range. You can pretty much figure out the methodology of it if you've got a couple of psych credits from a university. But a test, along with a backround check and an interview, would certainly weed out bad actors better than just the usual "screening" process for unarmed guards. (And I use the term screening in quotes for a reason.)

https://www.campussafetymagazine.com...s-u-s-schools/
      That article tracked unarmed security guards and armed law enforcement officers. It didn't suggest any rise in armed non-sworn security guards.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

That article tracked unarmed security guards and armed law enforcement officers. It didn't suggest any rise in armed non-sworn security guards.
        I would say that the rise in armed security is not being noticed as a national trend but being noticed in select localities. Due to the esculatting violence from rioting and the hands off approach of the police many businesses who never considered having security are going armed. When Iwas working in Baltimore after the Freddy Gray riots I saw more shop owners armed and more armed security then I ever saw before. Now with the antifa violence and the attacks on Trump supporters something is going to jump off. The things I have been reading on the net have led me to this conclusion. Armed antifa groups are actively training and recruiting to engage in domestic terrorism. those with their ears to the ground know things are going to get really bad. If I am right the levels of violence that will occur will make the violence of the 60's and 70's look like childs play. The bombings and assassinations will be all over the news.
        Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
        Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X