Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I heard July 4 is #1 numero-uno night for police calls, so, for private security....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard July 4 is #1 numero-uno night for police calls, so, for private security....

Lots of cranky old folks calling in about "gun shots" and actual illegal fireworks. Also lots of 911 calls about dogs and cats running away. Calls about fires that are just backyard bon fires. Missing children.

I'm thinking the bad guys (commercial profit motivated criminals) might figure "best night to pull a heist" since police will be all busy chasing down calls that kinda sorta relate to "life safety" rather than non-life threatening property crimes.

I always tell my boss/client "IMO, there are gonna be a few days (only a few HOURS actually) a year when risk spikes, so call in extra manpower during those few hours a year and you'd probably double your cost effectiveness. If you need to, make up for it by leaving the post uncovered in certain low risk times, or when a trusted employee is on site and able to act as Security".

Depends on the nature of the site, obviously, but main high risk hours IMO are 8pm-4am on holidays like July 4, May 5, Thanksgiving, Xtmas, NewYears. Also, local HS Homecoming football game.

Any evenings on days of big political events/protests, and of course high profile emotional political criminal case verdicts.

And of course politically charged police shootings of "unarmed children".

One and only time I was "removed from post" (and reassigned) was because Condo owner complained I wasn't arresting the Section 8 guys for their illegal fireworks on July 4.

Police aren't busy "chasing down" illegal fireworks. Those calls are low priority. But then again, since all your "knowledge" of police work comes from the inside of your mind, you can be excused your continued lack of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
      ...One and only time I was "removed from post" (and reassigned) was because Condo owner complained I wasn't arresting the Section 8 guys for their illegal fireworks on July 4.
      Wow, it is wild how some employers will "cave in" on some bogus complaints.

It does remind me of a story, too. I was working off-duty years ago at the local Target retail store. I was passing time by standing outside and both watching and listening to people coming and going. Standing near me was a uniformed Target Loss Prevention Officer. Coincidentally, she also worked full time, during the day, for the police department in the city that this Target was located in. She was a records technician and non-sworn.

Anyway, we both observed an SUV park in the handicapped parking nearby. A guy gets out and uses crutches to get into the store. The LP gal asks me if I am going to issue a citation. I, of course, replied, "For what?" She said that the vehicle had no handicapped license plates. I concurred, but explained to her that a handicapped placard is also recognized in our area. Plus, I told her that ANY of our District Court Judges would dismiss a citation, if they knew I saw the driver exit the vehicle using crutches, even if it didn't have a handicapped placard.

She was quite miffed. While I never found out for sure, I suspect that she may have complained on me. If she had, I suspect that the Target Asset Protection guy, who I knew to be a good guy, or the sheriff's office would have told he to go pound sand.

And , speaking, of stories, I have another one. I was working off-duty at the county fair in uniform. We were a smallish agency with 75-ish sworn. The Chief Deputy, who normally flew a desk and was all about the financial aspects of the SO, was working with me. He was a good guy and I never had any reason to fear him like some. (Let's face it, some guys and gals are intimidated by higher ranking staff.)

Anyway, some kids are doing something stupid and Rich tells them to break it up and move along. Pretty mundane stuff. On of the smart-asses tells Rich, "You can't talk to us like that. I will make a complaint against officer against you." Rich tells them, "Go ahead. I am the Chief Deputy and I tell with all of the complaints against deputies." The kid just sort of hangs his head and moves along. This is way before all of the Fergadishu crap. I must say, I respected Rich when he hired ma and I respected him more after working with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1348 View Post

Wow, it is wild how some employers will "cave in" on some bogus complaints.

It does remind me of a story, too. I was working off-duty years ago at the local Target retail store. I was passing time by standing outside and both watching and listening to people coming and going. Standing near me was a uniformed Target Loss Prevention Officer. Coincidentally, she also worked full time, during the day, for the police department in the city that this Target was located in. She was a records technician and non-sworn.

Anyway, we both observed an SUV park in the handicapped parking nearby. A guy gets out and uses crutches to get into the store. The LP gal asks me if I am going to issue a citation. I, of course, replied, "For what?" She said that the vehicle had no handicapped license plates. I concurred, but explained to her that a handicapped placard is also recognized in our area. Plus, I told her that ANY of our District Court Judges would dismiss a citation, if they knew I saw the driver exit the vehicle using crutches, even if it didn't have a handicapped placard.

She was quite miffed. While I never found out for sure, I suspect that she may have complained on me. If she had, I suspect that the Target Asset Protection guy, who I knew to be a good guy, or the sheriff's office would have told he to go pound sand.

And , speaking, of stories, I have another one. I was working off-duty at the county fair in uniform. We were a smallish agency with 75-ish sworn. The Chief Deputy, who normally flew a desk and was all about the financial aspects of the SO, was working with me. He was a good guy and I never had any reason to fear him like some. (Let's face it, some guys and gals are intimidated by higher ranking staff.)

Anyway, some kids are doing something stupid and Rich tells them to break it up and move along. Pretty mundane stuff. On of the smart-asses tells Rich, "You can't talk to us like that. I will make a complaint against officer against you." Rich tells them, "Go ahead. I am the Chief Deputy and I tell with all of the complaints against deputies." The kid just sort of hangs his head and moves along. This is way before all of the Fergadishu crap. I must say, I respected Rich when he hired ma and I respected him more after working with him.
        No doubt the ease at which a security guard can get fired/replaced for doing their job or refusing to do something illegal/immoral/stupid is absolutely disgusting.

I've said it before, but part of the problem is that many security supervisors/managers come from a law enforcement/military/civil service background, wherw if you follow policy you'll (usually) be ok no matter who it effects/annoys. Compare this to many security positions, where if the wrong person doesn't like you , you can easily be kicked off the site or fired. My analogy that I use with former law enforcement is "imagine if most of the people who said they'd "have your badge" probably could."

Sadly, many clients don't realize that the power to have guards replaced at-will is a double-edged sword. It means that the guards, afraid of losing their jobs, are going to be hesitant to follow proper policies if they think it could piss off the wrong person.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
          Police aren't busy "chasing down" illegal fireworks. Those calls are low priority. But then again, since all your "knowledge" of police work comes from the inside of your mind, you can be excused your continued lack of sense.
          Again, while we might doubt a lot of what he says, he's not completely wrong. The police are busier on days like the Fourth of July, Halloween, New Years, etc. so it wouldn't take a master criminal to realize that it might be the ideal day to commit a break-and-enter since police response time would likely be lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
            560AM morning radio in SF reported "170 calls to police and 25 ARRESTS, 400lbs seized" and something about $1000 fines.

Didn't catch what jurisdiction that covered.

Oh, here it is, LOL.https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/...gal-fireworks/ I used to live there and they sold Fireworks at supermarket parking lot. Also where PG&E burned all those people alive with the gas main blowout.
            Last edited by Squid; 07-06-2018, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

No doubt the ease at which a security guard can get fired/replaced for doing their job or refusing to do something illegal/immoral/stupid is absolutely disgusting.

I've said it before, but part of the problem is that many security supervisors/managers come from a law enforcement/military/civil service background, wherw if you follow policy you'll (usually) be ok no matter who it effects/annoys. Compare this to many security positions, where if the wrong person doesn't like you , you can easily be kicked off the site or fired. My analogy that I use with former law enforcement is "imagine if most of the people who said they'd "have your badge" probably could."

Sadly, many clients don't realize that the power to have guards replaced at-will is a double-edged sword. It means that the guards, afraid of losing their jobs, are going to be hesitant to follow proper policies if they think it could piss off the wrong person.
              I've said it before and I'll say it again. In Security you are more likely to be fired for doing your job than not doing your job.

In my case, I called our dispatch to double check Post Orders with brass and followed their instructions. It was a set-up to fail situation. Now it all comes back, the "Site Lead"(cop trainee-wannbe with BA in Cop Studies from SJSU) had managed to get July 4 off knowing it was a yearly battle between one anal-retentive Condo owner and a nice PTA type group of parents who threw a G-rated "pool party" (ended at 8pm still light out).
              Last edited by Squid; 07-06-2018, 12:29 AM.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X