Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What equipment do you have (or want) in your patrol car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What equipment do you have (or want) in your patrol car?

Ours is pretty well equipped, but since I don't drive much, I'm curious. What do you carry that maybe isn't required but makes the job easier? We have the basic stuff like a road kit (flares, traffic cones), first aid kit, chalk for marking tires, etc. When I do drive I always make sure there's a phone charger in the car and blank forms in the clipboard, so I don't have to go back to the office because the phone is at 10% and we're out of checklists.

Some of us walk on patrol
    http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Yeah, I do too - I can actually get to a call faster on foot than trying to get around in the shopping center with a bunch of soccer moms in their SUVs screaming at each other for the closest parking place. Part of my job is to make sure night shift has everything they need, and they do vehicle patrols to cover more ground and respond faster to alarms, etc. They have to remove homeless people periodically, so I promised them rubber gloves and hand santizer.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        Ours is pretty well equipped, but since I don't drive much, I'm curious. What do you carry that maybe isn't required but makes the job easier? We have the basic stuff like a road kit (flares, traffic cones), first aid kit, chalk for marking tires, etc. When I do drive I always make sure there's a phone charger in the car and blank forms in the clipboard, so I don't have to go back to the office because the phone is at 10% and we're out of checklists.
        Battery "brick" for cell phone in addition to charger. Only $10. Also doubles as weak flashlight. Some better flashlights (or headlights) with 18630 batteries also have USB out.

$12 Bullhorn from Ebay.

Basic survival stuff. WATER (several sizes, at least 3 gallons total). Food, blanket, extra uniform.

Tire Plug Kit (worms) and Fix-A-Flat infiltrator. Can of gas, quart of motor oil, jumper cables.

Any patrol car should have spotlight. You don't need crash bars or light bar, you need spotlight.

Depending on site, Orange Cones and red tape for "area off limits". Maybe some "rave" glow-light sticks. Also, a reflective Traffic Control vest and a STOP/SLOW sign.

Last but not least, a dedicated Site/Car smart phone so employer can have all his tracking and other apps, and no excuses about "mah phone died" and employer can go full video conference etc.

GO-Pro camera probably a good investment. about 1/2 motorcycle riders around SF got 'em on helmets, just because 9/10 its car's fault, but 9/10 the INITIAL ruling by police is that it is motorcycle's fault.

I've gotten good at setting my smart phone on dash for watching movies when driving.

I carry one of these with blank carbonless carbon paperhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Saunders-Blue-SlimMate-Plastic-Storage-Clipboard-Letter-Size-00559/173221114067?hash=item2854c870d3%3Am%3AmoXrQ00RupW ekfGC2Df70Mg&var=471936955552, and regular paper, etc. Clipboard is one of my fave "props" I'll carry even with no reason. It seems to draw people in on semi-friendly terms. Everyone assumes they should let you know who they are and they are "on the list" and boss wants them to "check in". One of these days I'm gonna install Bullet Proof Plate in the old clip board.
        Last edited by Squid; 06-23-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

You don’t need any of that guarding dirt piles and sleeping. Only thing you should be asking for is integrity, which you lack.

Comment

Yeah, I do too - I can actually get to a call faster on foot than trying to get around in the shopping center with a bunch of soccer moms in their SUVs

Consider Bike Patrol. Not only get around traffic faster but better view that from car or even SUV.

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post
              Some of us walk on patrol
              use a bike. do NOT ask boss, just start doing it.

from a bike you will be able to see your supervisor's car before he IDs you, so ride around nearest corner and come out walking.

Comment

should carry foldable bike in Patrol Car trunk.

Comment

I look at my POV as my makeshift office and my resupply depot. My methodology of gear placement is I have my EDC kit, a rugged bookbag sized pack with what I know I might need during my shift and enough items to get me back to my car. From there I will either hold up there, or leave . In the truck I have a 3 MRE's 100 rounds of 40S&W JHP or EFMJ rounds depending on how close to NJ I am 4 loaded mags for my FNP 40 and some ultralight camping gear with some civilian clothing in case I have to bug out. Having come across MS13 and some other gangs I want a fighting chance to make it out alive. Sometimes I would have an AR-15 pistol in 300blk loaded with subsonic rounds disassembled in a bag when things looked like they would get nasty. Would of loved to have a can but that would have been a 6 month + wait.
                  Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                  Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

Originally posted by psycosteve View Post
                    I look at my POV as my makeshift office and my resupply depot. My methodology of gear placement is I have my EDC kit, a rugged bookbag sized pack with what I know I might need during my shift and enough items to get me back to my car. From there I will either hold up there, or leave . In the truck I have a 3 MRE's 100 rounds of 40S&W JHP or EFMJ rounds depending on how close to NJ I am 4 loaded mags for my FNP 40 and some ultralight camping gear with some civilian clothing in case I have to bug out. Having come across MS13 and some other gangs I want a fighting chance to make it out alive. Sometimes I would have an AR-15 pistol in 300blk loaded with subsonic rounds disassembled in a bag when things looked like they would get nasty. Would of loved to have a can but that would have been a 6 month + wait.
                    I'm thinking several colored smoke grenades. One of my biggest concerns is if gunplay starts, or if I even pull my gun when stuff gets dicey, THEN the cops come in "hot" and Ready To Rock. They are gonna draw a bead on first thing they see who might be holding a gun. It also likely I wont be in a clearly marked Crown Vic, and might myself be on the move and hard to ID as Security VS Bad Guy. SO.....might be handy to tell 911 "I'll be popping orange smoke when Five-0 shows, I'm the security guard".

Plus, a big cloud of orange or green smoke will make any bad guys go "What the.....????" and think about something besides killing me, and that is good enough. Plus of course use as smoke screen.

IIRC Smoke Grenades are legal just about anywhere. Not sure if they are even considered Fireworks, but who'd care in tactical situation.

Comment

OK, ok, you guys have made your point. Steve, I will only say that yes, when I used my personal vehicle as my patrol rig I did carry enough stuff to make the front seat my office and the back seat my kitchen. An emergency kit (for earthquakes, or even getting stuck in traffic for four hours like I did one time after a bad accident shut the freeway down) is a must.

When I was armed, I carried 6 rounds in my sidearm and two back up mags - that was what was required, and that's all I carried. Most real life lethal force situations actually don't go that long. If I don't get the job done in six shots or less, I'm already in tactical retreat mode. Maybe its just me. But hey, if you're from the Church of Gecko 45, so be it...

Comment

[QUOTE=Condo Guard;n246061]Yeah, I do too - I can actually get to a call faster on foot
                        /QUOTE]

I purchased my shoes from Target...Blue Light Special.

http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

OK, ok, you guys have made your point. Steve, I will only say that yes, when I used my personal vehicle as my patrol rig I did carry enough stuff to make the front seat my office and the back seat my kitchen. An emergency kit (for earthquakes, or even getting stuck in traffic for four hours like I did one time after a bad accident shut the freeway down) is a must.

When I was armed, I carried 6 rounds in my sidearm and two back up mags - that was what was required, and that's all I carried. Most real life lethal force situations actually don't go that long. If I don't get the job done in six shots or less, I'm already in tactical retreat mode. Maybe its just me. But hey, if you're from the Church of Gecko 45, so be it...
                          When I lived in frederick md I had a site that was a beer, wine and deli in Takoma Park. I caught 2 shoplifters who were 18 steeling bottles of wine. 3 days later I after I got off work there was a severed dog head and something in spanish scrawled in blood on the door. The sherifs were not too useful, and the threat was not enough for me to get an unrestricted wear and carry. What finally settled everything was me getting on some gangster type stuff and talking to the local gang leader about the futility of going to war with me. Some people only respect violence and the power that comes with it. When dealing with these type of people I would like to have the proper tools for the job.
                          Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                          Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

The first thing I look for when checking a vehicle out from fleet is a working A/C and a good radio that I can plug my phone into. Comfort and good tunes make or break a shift.
                            http://firearmsnerd.com/

Comment

Originally posted by psycosteve View Post

When I lived in frederick md I had a site that was a beer, wine and deli in Takoma Park. I caught 2 shoplifters who were 18 steeling bottles of wine. 3 days later I after I got off work there was a severed dog head and something in spanish scrawled in blood on the door. The sherifs were not too useful, and the threat was not enough for me to get an unrestricted wear and carry. What finally settled everything was me getting on some gangster type stuff and talking to the local gang leader about the futility of going to war with me. Some people only respect violence and the power that comes with it. When dealing with these type of people I would like to have the proper tools for the job.
                              We are seeing the last times of America where crooks are more afraid of cops that cops are afraid of crooks.

You see the signs of the transition everywhere, and all public figures are afraid to mention it.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X