Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another security death.

http://ktla.com/2018/05/25/security-...ource=facebook

I always try and not get caught out in open on the job, mostly for cover from gunfire, but also cars. One thing I'll refuse to do is approach any occupied car in a alley in a uniform. You never know if they are doing drugs etc and they will see a badge and gun and think they are gonna get their parole violated and back to prison, etc, and the drugs will make them "brave".

If in path of a car I can't dodge I'd take my chances going over rather than under.

This is another reason I like wearing a hard hat. I'm guessing the head injury in this case would've been non-fatal if he'd been wearing a hard hat for the first big contact.

Comment

Wrong again. Keep guessing. There aren't any alleys on construction sites. Just dirt. And since you are asleep most of the time, the only worry you have is falling out of the chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
        Wrong again. Keep guessing. There aren't any alleys on construction sites. Just dirt. And since you are asleep most of the time, the only worry you have is falling out of the chair.
        Squid's said some questionable things, but I don't understand why you seem to call him out on every little thing and suggest it's a lie. If he said the sky at his workplace was blue you'd say "No it's not. How would you know? You sleep all the time".

Yes, some construction sites do have alleys, especially if it's work being done to existing buildings or additions to existing buildings. And he's not wrong about the dangers of approaching a car when the occupants might think that you're a police officer.

Comment

They don't even have to think you're a cop - I got hit by a guy that knew I was just a guard but saw me calling PD. Turned out he had an active warrant out of another county. What was so stupid is if the guy had just cooperated with me I probably would have bought his story and not thought twice about it. Because he had to be a jerk, i asked him more questions and it all didn't add up.

As we've said here before, cars are 1500 lb. weapons. Prayers for the S/O's family.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

Squid's said some questionable things, but I don't understand why you seem to call him out on every little thing and suggest it's a lie. If he said the sky at his workplace was blue you'd say "No it's not. How would you know? You sleep all the time".

Yes, some construction sites do have alleys, especially if it's work being done to existing buildings or additions to existing buildings. And he's not wrong about the dangers of approaching a car when the occupants might think that you're a police officer.
            Soper isn't the most cagey poster. Last two construction gigs I worked we had to wear "booties". No danger falling out of chair, I was rocking a XL size Zero Gravity unit. I got one with the top shade cover and hung a nice tablet in front of my face. Comfy. Pizza delivered every shift, which did get a bit monotonous, but I didn't let on since they seemed to want it appreciated.

Another reason why I like to wear a hard hat and safety vest ANYTIME I might be approaching "subjects" is so they know I'm not a cop and most I'm gonna do is ask them to leave.

I have worked at construction sites where "visual deterrent" was the mission but we had all black uniforms, and basically no lights at night. You would literally need to call out to find the guy you are relieving. Site had been going about a year when I got there. First night I worked with my standard setup (lounge chair, laptop, folding table, hardhat with light, etc) someone CALLED THE COPS lol to report "someone in the building".

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post
              Squid's said some questionable things
              99-110% of what he says is garbage.

A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

I personally think that appearing to be a construction worker would be a far bigger deterrence than appearing to be a security guard. Consider:

1) The average construction worker is in better shape than the average security guard.
                2) Construction workers usually have tools that could easily be used as improvised weapons.
                3) Construction workers tend to be "alpha males" who are not afraid to fight.
                4) If one construction worker is present, it means that others are also present or will be arriving soon. If a security guard is present, they're usually alone

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X