Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non 24 hr Security Jobs?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Non 24 hr Security Jobs?

    Do these even exist? In my opinion, the absolute worst part about the industry is the scheduling. The worst schedules are the types where you are constantly switching every week. Going from 1st to 3rd or 3rd to 1st to 2nd with non consecutive days off is soul crushing and just not good for anyone's health. Insomnia is a real problem that gets swept under the rug too much.

  • #2
    Yes. Many companies hire for a designated shift. Choose your employer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Its a bit tricky - I've found that in house security (which tends to have much lower turnover) are more agreeable. When they ask you about shifts, you can give your preference, but at least agree to help out on other shifts if something comes up.

      I will give my current employer an A+ on scheduling - I've had the same shift and days off for a year. I worked one night shift and that really was an emergency and I was fine with it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes. Ive seen places that o nly do business hour security. The big name companies do it for the money, not out of necessity.

        One gig I did before leaving security there were only two of us. One guy did mon to fri 11-7 pm and I did 7-3am. I got to pick my days off. They "didnt want anyone to know our schedule" .

        Comment


        • #5
          I wouldn't mind doing what's called the Pitman shift. I heard that some places do this shift. It's a fixed rotation. You do 12 hr days. You do ON - ON - OFF - OFF - ON - ON - ON - OFF - OFF - ON - ON - OFF - OFF - OFF. That schedule just repeats. Every other week, you get Fri - Sun off. As far as security goes, that's not a bad schedule. Even if you do nights, like 1800 - 0600, it's still good because of the way they schedule your days off.

          I was also thinking about high school campus security. Those wouldn't be 24 hr would they? My only concern with that would be pay. For some reason I feel like it would pay less.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sure, and fairly good pay too.

            Around SF Bay Area G4S has guys standing out in front of Bank of Americas during day. $20/hr plus benefits, and always hiring.

            Worked with a guy that was a big ex-G4S supervisor, always having to cover shifts, always overtime.

            Look for any retail or Loss Prevention, or office lobby.


            There are some valid tactikool reasons for screwed up schedule. You don't want the bad guys to know when the "easy" guy is working, and you don't want a bad guard to know when he can have is buddies boost the joint. To that I say "fine, but not for me" unless I'm truly free to work any hours. Only good reason for a guard to accept a bad schedule is you will get to visit and learn about all sorts of odd-ball operations and maybe get a foot in the door for a real job.

            Comment


            • #7
              Rotating guard shifts isn't done for tactical reasons. Why do you make things up?

              Comment


              • #8
                @ Bubbles: we did something similar years ago, so everybody would get a real weekend off every couple of weeks. The biggest problem we had was certain guards either couldn't or wouldn't read the schedule, so we constantly had to call people and ask them to come in for their shift.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
                  @ Bubbles: we did something similar years ago, so everybody would get a real weekend off every couple of weeks. The biggest problem we had was certain guards either couldn't or wouldn't read the schedule, so we constantly had to call people and ask them to come in for their shift.
                  Well that's very unfortunate. I hope you were able to go down a guard for a shift. We would do that every once and a while at my old account. We would have 3 on shift and every once and a while we would go down to 2 if someone was already on a double and couldn't stay and we couldn't get a hold of anyone if someone didn't show up. Our bosses didn't like it, but what could you do? If people want to call off for whatever reason, they will call off. Thankfully it was very lax at my old account. I can't really say the same for my current account.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ColePhelps1247 View Post
                    Yes. Ive seen places that o nly do business hour security. The big name companies do it for the money, not out of necessity.

                    One gig I did before leaving security there were only two of us. One guy did mon to fri 11-7 pm and I did 7-3am. I got to pick my days off. They "didnt want anyone to know our schedule" .
                    I forgot about banks. A lot of banks do business hours only. As long as you don't mind standing for 8 hours with only 1 half an hour break, which I might be able to do because I'm still young.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Soper View Post
                      Rotating guard shifts isn't done for tactical reasons. Why do you make things up?
                      obviously you lack the depth and breadth of exp I've had, and I only do this stuff part time here and there, and I've never even been an official "manager" or even "supervisor" (just been asked to train newbies to the site etc).

                      But.....I have kept my ears open and been confided to by various owners and managers, and I say with confidence that about 1/3 the "screwed up schedule" in companies that otherwise seem to have their act together and long term clients is "tactical reasons" which often translates into "we DON'T want this guard at that post at that time" for various reasons.

                      I could write a short book on this factor you are completely ignorant of.

                      Reasons are manifold and diverse.

                      1)He is a great friendly personable guy with client's employees, but he lacks the "killer instinct" to watch out for bad guys.

                      2)He has skills, patrols like a USMC grunt, but we think he is having his buddies heist the joint.

                      3)We think the shoplifters have "made" him, need fresh face.

                      4)We think client may want to "steal" him and go in-house.

                      5)Is too predictable on his rounds, he just don't get the "tactical" factor, he is locked into thinking he is like the Queen's Guard.

                      6)We want this guard to gain exp in diff types of posts.

                      7)But mostly, we don't want the bad guys to know who is at the post any given day. EVERYONE gets into habits that can be tracked.

                      8)We think guard work harder and better before they get bored with the site. Old broom gets the corners but a new broom sweeps clean.

                      Its SOP to tell guards its a 'scheduling emergency'.
                      Last edited by Squid; 05-12-2018, 03:06 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bubbles View Post

                        I forgot about banks. A lot of banks do business hours only. As long as you don't mind standing for 8 hours with only 1 half an hour break, which I might be able to do because I'm still young.
                        most banks got those big concrete garbage cans that no one ever uses.

                        what you do is make an "S" shaped little hook&seat with a hook that hangs off the lip and just enough seat to take a load off feet. When supervisor comes around you flip the rig into the can and act natural.

                        Knew a guy who was working a rig that would hang from a nice big tree, with clear fishing line to the back of his duty belt and elastic that would snap up out of sight in flash if needed. The idea was that he could still move around a bit, just be about 50lbs light-in-the-loafers. LOL. "Moonwalking". LOL I got to try out the prototype and it was promising.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Squid View Post
                          But.....I have kept my ears open and been confided to by various owners and managers,
                          No you haven't.




                          Originally posted by Squid View Post
                          Knew a guy who was working a rig that would hang from a nice big tree, with clear fishing line to the back of his duty belt and elastic that would snap up out of sight in flash if needed.
                          Where do you come up with this garbage?
                          A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

                          "My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Squid View Post

                            obviously you lack the depth and breadth of exp I've had, and I only do this stuff part time here and there, and I've never even been an official "manager" or even "supervisor" (just been asked to train newbies to the site etc).

                            But.....I have kept my ears open and been confided to by various owners and managers, and I say with confidence that about 1/3 the "screwed up schedule" in companies that otherwise seem to have their act together and long term clients is "tactical reasons" which often translates into "we DON'T want this guard at that post at that time" for various reasons.

                            I could write a short book on this factor you are completely ignorant of.

                            Reasons are manifold and diverse.

                            1)He is a great friendly personable guy with client's employees, but he lacks the "killer instinct" to watch out for bad guys.

                            2)He has skills, patrols like a USMC grunt, but we think he is having his buddies heist the joint.

                            3)We think the shoplifters have "made" him, need fresh face.

                            4)We think client may want to "steal" him and go in-house.

                            5)Is too predictable on his rounds, he just don't get the "tactical" factor, he is locked into thinking he is like the Queen's Guard.

                            6)We want this guard to gain exp in diff types of posts.

                            7)But mostly, we don't want the bad guys to know who is at the post any given day. EVERYONE gets into habits that can be tracked.

                            8)We think guard work harder and better before they get bored with the site. Old broom gets the corners but a new broom sweeps clean.

                            Its SOP to tell guards its a 'scheduling emergency'.
                            No. It's just more BS made up by you to try and make others think you know better. You don't. Each post you make shows a stunning LACK of truth, reasonableness, ability, veracity, and maturity.

                            You ARE the poster child of everything NOT to do. I'm betting the reason you work at night, besides so you can sleep the shift away, is because every guard you've been paired with has filed complaints about you. You are a bigoted, biased male who has no business being responsible for anything, including that pile of dirt they pay you to guard.

                            Were you to actually have to work, I highly doubt you would finish out an eight hour shift. You, by your OWN admission, are a lazy, incompetent goof off who is one of the main reasons this industry will NEVER reach any higher.

                            Keep doing what your going, at least your coworkers will be able to do their jobs because ANYTHING they do compared to your "work" looks like a stellar employee.

                            You live in a fantasy world.

                            ANYONE THAT TAKES ADVICE FROM SQUID IS AN IDIOT.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              You (Squid) are placing far too much faith in so called schedulers and ops managers to actually think about client's and guard's concerns. Most of the time its a variation of "3 guard monte," where you rotate bodies to fill the spots that are open a half hour from now, and try to wake some people up and get them on a site in the next four hours.

                              You do have a point about some of this - i never figured out why the last. co. I worked for just rotated guards off a construction site where metal thieves would walk up to you at 3:00am and offer you cash to look the other way. In my book they should have been canned at the least, and prosecuted if they allowed felony level losses.

                              Comment

                              Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X