Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Have You Done To Advance Your Career Lately?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Have You Done To Advance Your Career Lately?

    As posted above, what have you done to advance your careers lately?

  • #2
    Completed my Practical And Tactical Handcuffing (P.A.T.H.) training. Currently researching the pros and cons of doing armed security in WA. The license isn't that much more expensive than unarmed, I've been armed before, and the opportunities appear to be increasing as crime goes up and the number of police officers retiring and not being replaced continues.

    Comment


    • #3
      I was recently (a few months ago) promoted to senior officer (FTO lead) and I'm currently one of the workplace violence prevention trainers and role players. Other than that, doing my job, making friends with staff, getting recognized. There isn't a lot of chance for movement around here, so this is probably the only promotion I'll get save for becoming a shift lead, otherwise our supervising staff are all lifers. I haven't even been here two years yet.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
        Completed my Practical And Tactical Handcuffing (P.A.T.H.) training. Currently researching the pros and cons of doing armed security in WA. The license isn't that much more expensive than unarmed, I've been armed before, and the opportunities appear to be increasing as crime goes up and the number of police officers retiring and not being replaced continues.
        EVERYTHING is going armed in CA it seems. Better get the permit before some anti-gun Commie makes it tougher.

        Comment


        • #5
          Currently, I only work weekend shifts. Twelve hours gets long, so, in between patrols, I have been taking any and all training I can through FEMA, TEEX, DHS, and any other acronym that offers security, rescue, anti/counter terror, crisis mitigation/intervention, or anything else I can imagine being useful in security.
          A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

          "My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

          Comment


          • #6
            Bought myself a Seek Compact Pro Thermal Imagining attachment for my Android. Emailed boss a couple pics of people lurking in dark no man's land next to post as well as hot spots created by people sitting up against fence. He was impressed and wanted me to come over and use somewhere else. I loaned it to him. He was amazed it would work on any old phone.

            My Psych 101 prof had a PhD in "workplace psych" and his main recommendation was that when layoffs come the main selector is "do they know the new tech?" in whatever field. NOT "do they have good attitude" or "good attendance" or "work hard" etc.

            I'm normally WAY behind the curve on consumer electronics. No Smart Phone till 2013, and I was last of my peers to go online, and I never play any video games.

            We got a guy who ALWAYS shows up 15+mins early, ALWAYS in perfect uniform (when he shows up, not getting around to putting on a dirty wrinkled shirt 20 min into shift after I hit the head and generally settle in). And he ALWAYS follows post orders to the letter....but he also never thinks outside the box. He is the stereotypical predicable security guard who bad guys could work around.
            Last edited by Squid; 03-29-2018, 11:08 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              What I did to advance my career was to leave the security industry. I know that I was unhappy doing this work in general. I traded in my duty gear for a tool belt and my FNP 40 for a Milwaukee M12 hammer drill. It was time for me to rejoin the rest of civilization. I am a daywalker once again, free from client mission creep and managers who are scrambling for coverage because of people calling out. When my shift ends I am not required to be relieved and my extra efforts are not only valued but are compensated by management. The way I see the state of the average line guard is that security is either where you build work experience or end your working career. The sites that pay a decent wage are few and far between. Not to say that they are not out there, but in most cases it is unobtainium.
              Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
              Spiro Agnew

              Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

              Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by psycosteve View Post
                What I did to advance my career was to leave the security industry. I know that I was unhappy doing this work in general. I traded in my duty gear for a tool belt and my FNP 40 for a Milwaukee M12 hammer drill. It was time for me to rejoin the rest of civilization. I am a daywalker once again, free from client mission creep and managers who are scrambling for coverage because of people calling out. When my shift ends I am not required to be relieved and my extra efforts are not only valued but are compensated by management. The way I see the state of the average line guard is that security is either where you build work experience or end your working career. The sites that pay a decent wage are few and far between. Not to say that they are not out there, but in most cases it is unobtainium.
                me too, pretty much exactly word for word. Construction is booming and there are actual Union jobs now actually paying correct Union pay and benefits without funny business (still lots of "dayworkers" on street corners all day, which can only mean a YUGE and increasing oversupply).

                Construction is very much feast or famine. When economy dips and its cheaper to buy existing housing or commercial space construction almost completely shuts down, unlike stuff like auto repair.

                Had a couple of cozy gigs one at $25/hr for 3 12hr shifts a week.

                But feels good to be a daywalker again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Squid View Post

                  EVERYTHING is going armed in CA it seems. Better get the permit before some anti-gun Commie makes it tougher.
                  That’s a BS statement. Provide facts, not made up assumptions based on Craigslist ads.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Squid View Post

                    me too, pretty much exactly word for word. Construction is booming and there are actual Union jobs now actually paying correct Union pay and benefits without funny business (still lots of "dayworkers" on street corners all day, which can only mean a YUGE and increasing oversupply).

                    Construction is very much feast or famine. When economy dips and its cheaper to buy existing housing or commercial space construction almost completely shuts down, unlike stuff like auto repair.

                    Had a couple of cozy gigs one at $25/hr for 3 12hr shifts a week.

                    But feels good to be a daywalker again.
                    What I am doing is not really dependent on the economy as I am doing property preservation. Work actually slows down a bit when the economy is good but really picks up when the economy is down. Trash outs, general repairs, lock changes and bidding the work. I also do the office work but being flexible in both the office and the field has earned me a premium that I would never see doing security. I still get my 40 + hours a week in addition to travel time to and from the sites I am working.
                    Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                    Spiro Agnew

                    Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

                    Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by psycosteve View Post

                      What I am doing is not really dependent on the economy as I am doing property preservation. Work actually slows down a bit when the economy is good but really picks up when the economy is down. Trash outs, general repairs, lock changes and bidding the work. I also do the office work but being flexible in both the office and the field has earned me a premium that I would never see doing security. I still get my 40 + hours a week in addition to travel time to and from the sites I am working.
                      saw those ads back in last major bubble bust out. prob was they all had some 30+ day hold on pay, which seemed doubly iffy given the state of economy AND they wanted you using your own rickshaw and gas, and some even wanted you fronting plywood!

                      would seem a good op for a security guard/firm to "add value" by not just boarding up but also patrol checks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Squid View Post

                        saw those ads back in last major bubble bust out. prob was they all had some 30+ day hold on pay, which seemed doubly iffy given the state of economy AND they wanted you using your own rickshaw and gas, and some even wanted you fronting plywood!

                        would seem a good op for a security guard/firm to "add value" by not just boarding up but also patrol checks
                        I am not the owner of the company I am just an employee so things are quite different in regards to how I get paid. My boss is on a 30 days pay but I get paid weekly with one week held back. I use the company truck, the company tools and the company gas card. The secret to this business is knowing what photos to take and what trash is valuable to sell and scrap . My boss makes $50 a cubic yard in removing trash, the trailer holds 30 and with a crew of 4 we have removed 3 trailers in one day. That is 4500 in one day - dump fees and gas. The metal, the electronics other items can be scrapped or sold to people who deal in used goods. Retro gaming is huge, and some of the old gaming systems and games can fetch a premium to the right buyers. The old 8 bit and 16 bit systems are going for insane prices . The games are high up there as well as people looking for the old CRT TV's to hook them up to . The money is there to be made if you know how to see the potential .
                        Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                        Spiro Agnew

                        Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

                        Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by psycosteve View Post
                          ...The games are high up there as well as people looking for the old CRT TV's to hook them up to...
                          Hah, I never thought that I would see the day that people actually wanted the old CRT televisions again!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jim1348 View Post

                            Hah, I never thought that I would see the day that people actually wanted the old CRT televisions again!
                            Considering that even an N64 with an HDMI output runs about 450 most retro gamers will opt to go with an older TV then to pay to alter their game systems or emulate them on a PC.
                            Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
                            Spiro Agnew

                            Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

                            Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ive been in the federal system for bearly 3 years...doing non security work. Considering my STATE canvass letters for various security/mental institution security officers, theres plenty available. But with my pay rate, OT availability and constant raising, including COLA...its hard to find anything comparable. Id rather be doing security type work, though.

                              Comment

                              300x250

                              Collapse

                              Mid 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Super Leaderboard

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X