Arctic Winter Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arctic Winter Games

In less than a week from now in my town, and the next town we will be having an international sporting event, the event will last a week. The event is the Arctic Winter Games, there will be teams from Canada, Denmark (Greenland), Russia, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and the USA (Alaska). Security for the event will be mainly Volunteer. There will be a contract security company only working the night shift while the day, and evening will be volunteer. The medical team for the event will also be all volunteer.
    Last edited by fortsmithman; 03-12-2018, 10:36 AM.

I'm curious - are the volunteers people with security experience, or are they general volunteers that will be trained for access control, fire watch, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
      I'm curious - are the volunteers people with security experience, or are they general volunteers that will be trained for access control, fire watch, etc.?
      Myself and a few other security volunteers do have prior security experience, as well a few of the volunteers are territorial corrections officers. The rest have no prior experience. Each security shift is only 4 hours long. My security shifts are from 1900 to 2300. After I am done my shift I have half an hour to make it to my hotel job at which point I will take off my Games uniform, and put on my hotel uniform, and go to work. Luckily my house is in between where I am Assigned to, and the hotel I work at. my uniform for the games will be a yellow long sleeve t shirt with the games logo on the chest as well as a black vest with yellow highlights and a yellow winter coat with the logo on the from and volunteer on the back. Security volunteers will be wearing yellow, medical volunteers will be in red, and general volunteers will be in blue.
      Last edited by fortsmithman; 03-15-2018, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Security at the games will in all likelihood be a warm body type of assignment as it will just be access control at the entry, no other security duties such as patrolling the area.

Comment

Here is the uniform for volunteer security for the Arctic Winter Games. The back of the coat has VOLUNTEER on the back. The shirt is a long sleeve t shirt that is yellow, and has the games logo on the left chest. There is also a black vest with yellow zippers.
          Last edited by fortsmithman; 03-17-2018, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post
            Here is the uniform for volunteer security for the Arctic Winter Games. The back of the coat has VOLUNTEER on the back. The shirt is a long sleeve t shirt that is yellow, and has the games logo on the left chest. There is also a black vest with yellow zippers.
            That's a nice jacket. I notice though that the uniform doesn't actually say "security" on it (I'm assuming the hat is your and not issued). Seems like how some organizations want departments that are security in all but name ("We're security guards, but don't tell anyone. We want to blend in as standard company employees....)

Comment

Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post
              The event is the Arctic Winter Games, there will be teams from Canada, Denmark (Greenland), Russia, Norway, Sweden, Finland, and the USA (Alaska). Security for the event will be mainly Volunteer. There will be a contract security company only working the night shift while the day, and evening will be volunteer. The medical team for the event will also be all volunteer.
              No worries, A. Whats to secure, some snow and ice?

Search and Rescue of news crews?

I did similar "volunteer" (give us like $13(for about 6 hours and free beer after) as a race track Corner Station or whatever at Sears Point for amateur motorcycle races. Pretty cool way to spend a day once or twice. Most people will be related to the contestants and event in some manner and will know more about the real safety aspects than any contracted paid security goons, and will be generally very high caliber people. My corner partner was an engineer at Lockheed and thats about all he could say about that. He was there because his two sons were racing.

In fact, the caliber of attendees/volunteers should be so high it might attract some smoking hot "gold diggers".
              Did I ever tell you about the time I was just changed out of my uniform after a security gig at SF yacht event and was spotted by a tag-team of Playboy Playmate tier gold diggers chatting with actual yacht owners like I was one of the boys? Stupid as I am I let it slip I wasn't a yacht owner and they dropped me like a hot potato, or in my case maybe a small turd.
              Last edited by Squid; 03-18-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post

That's a nice jacket. I notice though that the uniform doesn't actually say "security" on it (I'm assuming the hat is your and not issued). Seems like how some organizations want departments that are security in all but name ("We're security guards, but don't tell anyone. We want to blend in as standard company employees....)
                The hat is from my hotel uniform the job that pays me ok, not great but OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post

No worries, A. Whats to secure, some snow and ice?

Search and Rescue of news crews?

I did similar "volunteer" (give us like $13(for about 6 hours and free beer after) as a race track Corner Station or whatever at Sears Point for amateur motorcycle races. Pretty cool way to spend a day once or twice. Most people will be related to the contestants and event in some manner and will know more about the real safety aspects than any contracted paid security goons, and will be generally very high caliber people. My corner partner was an engineer at Lockheed and thats about all he could say about that. He was there because his two sons were racing.

In fact, the caliber of attendees/volunteers should be so high it might attract some smoking hot "gold diggers".
                  Did I ever tell you about the time I was just changed out of my uniform after a security gig at SF yacht event and was spotted by a tag-team of Playboy Playmate tier gold diggers chatting with actual yacht owners like I was one of the boys? Stupid as I am I let it slip I wasn't a yacht owner and they dropped me like a hot potato, or in my case maybe a small turd.
                  Are your eyes brown by chance?
                  A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X