Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't boxers and other fighters have beards?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't boxers and other fighters have beards?

haven't shaved in a few days and it seems like my budding short beard would provide advantage in a fight, mostly by the way it reduces friction of any object smooshing across the affected area.

Originally posted by Squid View Post
    haven't shaved in a few days and it seems like my budding short beard would provide advantage in a fight, mostly by the way it reduces friction of any object smooshing across the affected area.
    Very interesting post. I'm going to reply, just cuz no one else has yet.

Some fighters do have beards. It just depends on the contracts that are put on the table. In Olympics and amateurs however, you must be clean shaven.

The argument against beards as far as fighting is concerned, is that the beards can agitate potential cuts and if the beard is large enough, it is hard to distinguish the jaw line. Small beards are allowed in pro fighting. Large beards that would hide the jaw line, however, are not.

A beard wouldn't give you any sort of cushion against a blow the same way a full head of hair wouldn't cushion you against any type of blow. If beards did protect you, every fighter would be sporting a thick, lumberjack beard.

Comment

I could think of a few good reasons a fighter would not want to have a beard. The first thing is that it will become something to grab on to in a fight. This is something I am discovering about my own beard. 2nd would have to be potential cuts. Beards tend to trap particles of crap in them. Food, dust, and sweat all make a beard a potentially filthy fashion accessory. This combined with the possibility of cuts not only allows for infection but matted blood and facial hair do not make a great combination.
      Confronted with the choice, the American people would choose the policeman's truncheon over the anarchist's bomb.
      Spiro Agnew

Why yes I am a glorified babysitter , I am here to politely ask you to follow the rules , if not daddy comes to spank you and put you in time out its your choice - Me

Luck is a red hair woman , if you ever dated one you know there remarkably dangerous , my personal preference is to be competent and let luck join the ride if she so chooses .- Clint Smith

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X