Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between Canada and the USA for security and police.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between Canada and the USA for security and police.

I thought that I would post what is the norm in Canadian security with a bit in policing. In Canada for the most metal badges are out with the exception of Alberta, and the Northwest Territories since the NWT has no legislation for the most part covering security. Alberta allows only one design for a metal badge which is only carried in a wallet with the security licence, and not to be worn on the uniform. Not all provinces allow handcuffs, or batons. Alberta allows them whereas the province next door does not. Also only security guard and security agent are allowed titles, but officer or security enforcement officer are prohibited. Alberta prohibits flashlights longer than 18 inches. The use of firearms are for the most part prohibited for security. As well bodyguard or executive protection cannot use pistols, or revolvers, they have to be unarmed.

The big difference is police in Canada can only carry the sidearm issued to them by their agency. Most if not all police may not carry off duty. They may carry off duty if they are on call, or if their life is treated and only then with the approval of either their commander or chief. When the former chief in Toronto resigned to take a seat he had won in parliament the Toronto police association asked if he would allow off duty members of the Toronto Police Service to carry off duty he turned them down. Also back up firearms are not allowed unless they are issued by the agency otherwise the member could face weapons charges.
    Last edited by fortsmithman; 02-07-2018, 11:50 PM.

Originally posted by fortsmithman View Post
    I thought that I would post what is the norm in Canadian security with a bit in policing. In Canada for the most metal badges are out with the exception of Alberta, and the Northwest Territories since the NWT has no legislation for the most part covering security. Alberta allows only one design for a metal badge which is only carried in a wallet with the security licence, and not to be worn on the uniform. Not all provinces allow handcuffs, or batons. Alberta allows them whereas the province next door does not. Also only security guard and security agent are allowed titles, but officer or security enforcement officer are prohibited. Alberta prohibits flashlights longer than 18 inches. The use of firearms are for the most part prohibited for security. As well bodyguard or executive protection cannot use pistols, or revolvers, they have to be unarmed.

The big difference is police in Canada can only carry the sidearm issued to them by their agency. Most if not all police may not carry off duty. They may carry off duty if they are on call, or if their life is treated and only then with the approval of either their commander of chief. When the former chief in Toronto resigned to take a seat he had won in parliament the Toronto police association asked if he would allow off duty members of the Toronto Police Service to carry off duty he turned them down. Also back up firearms are not allowed unless they are issued by the agency otherwise the member could face weapons charges.
    That's Canada for you. So if you get attacked, your bodyguard is going do what? Observe and report the incident? Call the police? Are they at least permitted batons and cuffs?

Comment

EP are mostly unarmed in the US also. The training incorporates use of other things to protect. The picture of gunfights, a la Man on Fire is just Hollywood. As a matter of fact, EP personnel in Mexico who are NOT Mexican nationals cannot carry firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
        EP are mostly unarmed in the US also. The training incorporates use of other things to protect. The picture of gunfights, a la Man on Fire is just Hollywood. As a matter of fact, EP personnel in Mexico who are NOT Mexican nationals cannot carry firearms.
        I would have to disagree with you on that one. I've played bodyguard many times and always armed.

Comment

You need to look at the statistical information out there, not your own experience. Around 80% of EP are not armed. You also need to look at each states laws regarding carrying of firearms. And no, "bodyguards" don't drive around with MP5s and full auto in the car.

BTW, Bodyguard is an out of date term and is not used if one is trying to project a professional image. Again, that's a Hollywood/WWF/NFL "I'm a pro bodyguard" thing.

Comment

You need to look at the statistical information out there, not your own experience. Around 80% of EP are not armed. You also need to look at each states laws regarding carrying of firearms. And no, "bodyguards" don't drive around with MP5s and full auto in the car.

BTW, Bodyguard is an out of date term and is not used if one is trying to project a professional image. Again, that's a Hollywood/WWF/NFL "I'm a pro bodyguard" thing.
            Well damn you need to spread the google wisdom some more, guess on all my side gigs we should have all dumped our pistols because you say so. Also it may say executive protection in the job ad but to Richie Rich you're still his bodyguard or just plain old guard. You must watch too many movies, who was saying anything about automatic weapons. Looks like someone didn't go to PSD training.

Comment

Hey Tom,

I've been doing this much longer than you. Perhaps if you read up on it and paid attention to what I said, you might have understood. It's clear that you lack an ability to comprehend. I did not say ALL. Yes, there are armed gigs. They are way below the amount of gigs out there.

If you want to call and refer to yourself as a "Bodyguard" , go right ahead. It indicates to all how untrained and behind the times you are. Perhaps you should take an EP class instead of just relying on whatever limited self induced training you've done.

Comment

Hey Tom,

I've been doing this much longer than you. Perhaps if you read up on it and paid attention to what I said, you might have understood. It's clear that you lack an ability to comprehend. I did not say ALL. Yes, there are armed gigs. They are way below the amount of gigs out there.

If you want to call and refer to yourself as a "Bodyguard" , go right ahead. It indicates to all how untrained and behind the times you are. Perhaps you should take an EP class instead of just relying on whatever limited self induced training you've done.
                "Executive Protection" may be the preferred or "official" title; but it's still common within the industry to use "bodyguard" as an informal title.

To me, using the term "Executive Protection" also seems how companies are trying to make their guards more professional by using the term "Security Officer" without making any substantive changes.

Maybe when the average bodyguard is equipped with more than a week's training (and a flimsy excuse on why they didn't go into law enforcement) then we can start changing the title as a whole. Don't get me wrong; there are some good, well trained EP/bodyguard people out there (and on this forum) but what I described seems to describe the majority of people who clamor for the "EP" title.

Comment

You guys are your own worst enemies. Use archaic titles, refuse to train, demand high wages.

EP is the standard.
                  Bodyguards are just untrained football players masquerading as protection professionals, usually for Rappers and other thugs.

Comment

You guys are your own worst enemies. Use archaic titles, refuse to train, demand high wages.

EP is the standard.
                    Bodyguards are just untrained football players masquerading as protection professionals, usually for Rappers and other thugs.
                    If bodyguards are going to push to getting a "professional" title, they need to improve their standards first. If you look, for example, at police officers (policemen), correctional officers (jail guards), registered nurses (nurses), chartered accountants (accountants) they have for the most part introduced new standards that befit the new title. They didn't just say "please call us this now"!

To be honest, if needed protection and did not have the ability to hire off-duty law enforcement, I'd rather hire a football player than a person who took a weeklong course and probably comes with "baggage" that kept them out of law enforcement jobs.

Comment

Hey Tom,

Doing what longer then me? Keyboard commando or key clock ninja guard? Well at least they wouldn't let you carry.

Comment

Yeah.... ok then.

Comment

Seriously, why is everyone on this forum so aggro?

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomX0990 View Post
                            Seriously, why is everyone on this forum so aggro?
                            Sometimes I think this forum is full of insecurity guards😄

Comment

Another difference is in Canada we have no bail bondsmen and bounty hunters.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X