Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

automakers still clueless about Smart Phones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automakers still clueless about Smart Phones?

I'm waiting for some "genius" to realize cars made after 1990 should all come with well thought out system for holding (and charging) a user's EXISTING personal phone. Go nuts and even make a wide range of tablets easy to use in cars.

Everyone wants to have some near useless built in video screen, that you have to figure out for each car.

As Security, we are always getting issued a car, a phone or both, and need to use them in the car as part of main task.

I've not yet found an aftermarket phone holder that works well enough to bother with. Not a fan of windshield mount due to excess police attention they seem to draw. (had a stolen car returned supposedly because he was busted for texting while driving, left mount behind).

Maybe some dumb legal thing about car makers not wanting to get sued everytime someone crashes while texting.

i have a plain jane 4x4 2014 chey truck, it came with a phone charger and blue tooth. dont have a back up camera, thou. the hands free phone is nice. and i like listening to Pandora thru it also

Comment

Originally posted by wascaptain View Post
      i have a plain jane 4x4 2014 chey truck, it came with a phone charger and blue tooth. dont have a back up camera, thou. the hands free phone is nice. and i like listening to Pandora thru it also
      but no 'factory' universal ergo-metric dash phone holder?

what these people don't understand is that in the real world everyone already has a phone they invested time and effort to learn

Comment

My 2016 F150 has a phone sized cutout in the center console. I have really no need for it because I can use most all the phones functions hands free thru Fords Sync system.
        Time to trade in your car on a new truck.
        Last edited by Tom Horn; 12-04-2017, 10:42 PM. Reason: Because I can

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Horn View Post
          My 2016 F150 has a phone sized cutout in the center console. I have really no need for it because I can use most all the phones functions hands free thru Fords Sync system.
          Time to trade in your car on a new truck.
          still sounds 1/2 assed. should have a nicely designed method for holding TWO phones in a variety of positions, and able to keep sunglare off the screens, etc.

Then again, I can't understand why they didnt make drink holders with extra concentrated HVAC outlet (but also so no liquid would spill down) like 2yrs after cars got heaters. They should've had Gloves/food heater for a 100+years by now. Just route heater to glove compartment and include a removable tray.

I'm gonna try the rubberband method at 1:30 mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMKhi1R22w0

Lots of other Security smart hack in this 5 min video. I think the cat crystals could help keep windows clear on extended sits without running the heater.

Comment

Are you driving a model T?
            In my truck I have so many storage spots I could put a lap top in it.
            You don't need to see the phones screen ,besides the fact its illegal in most states and dangerous to boot. Most newer cars mirror everything on the vehicles info screen(s) and/or voice activation. Even the cheap new sub compacts have all this tech.
            My wifes SUV like a lot of vehicles has the heated/cooled glove box.

Comment

dam a heated/cooled glove box! now that aint no plain jane!

Comment

Some of us do drive a Model T
                Or darn close....https://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/sonic/2012/

My Fred Flinstone car as my daughters call it ain't got nothing
                No Pandora
                Nothing except for a steering wheel, motor { run by two mice},an AM/FM radio {remember those?}, and I have A/C
                I got my antique A.T.&T cell phone

BUT my front wheel drive 2012 Chevrolet Sonic can go through snow lots better than other cars on the road

http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Are you driving a model T?
                  In my truck I have so many storage spots I could put a lap top in it.
                  You don't need to see the phones screen ,besides the fact its illegal in most states and dangerous to boot. Most newer cars mirror everything on the vehicles info screen(s) and/or voice activation. Even the cheap new sub compacts have all this tech.
                  My wifes SUV like a lot of vehicles has the heated/cooled glove box.
                  If its OK to have a GPS nav screen then its even more OK to use a phone's GPS nav screen.

these days people keep their whole lives on their phones.

I want to learn one device and use it for everything. I know where the buttons are on the phone to find Email, etc.

Even if I CAN use the truck's speakers with phone, I want to keep listening when I exit and would KEEP my music on the phone, downloaded from PC/WWW etc.

Is there a way to send video and youtube, and PDFs to a Ford screen? I don't care, I just want to physically have my or anyone's phone in right spot for easy use. When I use Google Maps with phone plugged into PC at home it sends that info to phone for GPS nav.

Don't want to put my banking on my Ford Screen, even if that didn't mean some extra Wifi fee after 24 months or whatever.

What % of your Security Guard pay is required to support a brand new truck? Are you one of those guys who still basically lives at home so you can still afford new cars with entry level job? (not that there is anything wrong with that).
                  Last edited by Squid; 12-06-2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

i drove this 65 chevy from 1980 till i bought a new 98 chevy trk , drove that 1 till i bought my 2014 chevy.

i still have the 65 in one of my barns, one day i hope to put it back on the road, it was running when i parked it there

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
                      If its OK to have a GPS nav screen then its even more OK to use a phone's GPS nav screen.

these days people keep their whole lives on their phones.

I want to learn one device and use it for everything. I know where the buttons are on the phone to find Email, etc.

Even if I CAN use the truck's speakers with phone, I want to keep listening when I exit and would KEEP my music on the phone, downloaded from PC/WWW etc.

Is there a way to send video and youtube, and PDFs to a Ford screen? I don't care, I just want to physically have my or anyone's phone in right spot for easy use. When I use Google Maps with phone plugged into PC at home it sends that info to phone for GPS nav.

Don't want to put my banking on my Ford Screen, even if that didn't mean some extra Wifi fee after 24 months or whatever.

What % of your Security Guard pay is required to support a brand new truck? Are you one of those guys who still basically lives at home so you can still afford new cars with entry level job? (not that there is anything wrong with that).
                      Well apparently I make above average pay for this part time gig. Which I don't have to work since I have a police pension after twenty two years. Not only has that bought new vehicles for me and the wife, plus one new car for one kid, two used suvs for the other two. I also own two houses, with one being paid off. I can go on and on about the other toys, boats, snowmoblles, atvs etc.
                      But I worked my @ss of to get to that point. Back in the early 90's being a cop paid like crap, 15 bucks an hour or so. For years I worked 2-3 part time jobs to get by, finally got on a bigger suburban dept, six figures with OT easily.
                      Besides the pension I also did the 401k and 457. Plus a separate pension from my real early days.
                      By the way I moved out when I was 18 after graduating high school.
                      And I put over half down on the truck.
                      So hows your finances?
                      Last edited by Tom Horn; 12-06-2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wascaptain View Post
                        i drove this 65 chevy from 1980 till i bought a new 98 chevy trk , drove that 1 till i bought my 2014 chevy.

i still have the 65 in one of my barns, one day i hope to put it back on the road, it was running when i parked it there
                        Love the old trucks. Had Chevy's for years, then Ram and now a Ford.

Comment

Love the old trucks. Had Chevy's for years, then Ram and now a Ford.
                          We are a Chevrolet Family
                          Learned to drive on a 1960 Chevrolet Impala
                          Manual shift
                          Got license Spring of 1966
                          In Massachusetts before summer of 1966 you had to know how to drive Manual or stick shift, or no license Wife learned to drive on Chevy Nova

I have a Chevy Sonic, wife has a Equinox
                          Daughter and son have GMC trucks

Other daughter in West Virginia sadly drives a Dodge Ram truck. At least in ain't a Ford! Ford spell backwards Drive Returns on Foot
                          Last edited by copelandamuffy; 12-07-2017, 12:04 AM.
                          http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Apparently squid has no concept of the CA Vehicle Code regarding using devices while driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
                              Apparently squid has no concept of the CA Vehicle Code regarding using devices while driving.
                              Oh, I'm aware. Last time I was beating a ticket in court one of the cases was a BART repair worker who got a ticket for using his radio. IIRC he lost, because even if "gumint" he ain't 'authorized' to talk and drive like a highly trained LEO (lol), and it had obviously been a real pissing contest during the stop.

I've heard there is a major on going pissing contest between BART (especially) and a few non-BART railroad properties in the East Bay and the various local PDs.

But I don't care about CA VC. I straight up jaywalk. I'm like gansta and shnit.(grabs crotch).

The real reason (especially) cops (and similar emotionally needy small people) hate cell phones is the use of phones "steals them away"(emotionally) from some emotionally needy person in their presence.

Use to be it made cops special that only they (and rich doctors) had radios (or at least radio able to talk to someone besides HAM/CB nerds). Now instead of begging a cop to make a call you just make it yourself, and even worse likely get info that contradicts whatever game the cop is running on you.

That is why a certain sort of person thinks its "rude"(?) for you to talk to someone else on cell phone in their presence. They feel you have some emotional obligation to interact with them, as if you are seated next to them at a dinner party.

That is my official Security Related "How to deal with people" and "weird things people think" for the day.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X