Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chucky
    replied
    I fully believe that would be a good thing although how many armed guards have you ever heard of doing this same type of thing? When I filled out the forms for my cert the only question close in nature to the subject was "Have you ever been committed against your will for a period of more than 3 days to a funny farm? (To early to look up proper spelling) I said to myself are you kidding that's all they require?
    I would think that guys dad would have intervened and had his guns taken away long before this shooting happened.

Leave a comment:

• T202
    replied
    Unless the testing is done one on one by a true professional, it would be a waste of time. And doing it this way would cost too much so I don't think you will ever see it.
    Edit-After I typed this I found a case where a company did evaluate their security employees and did find one of their security officers not fit to carry a firearm, "aggressive tendencies. It ended up in court.
    http://www.courts.state.me.us/opinio.../06me130le.pdf

I knew a cop that was involved in a lot of shootings. The Dept had him evaluated and ended up giving him a early retirement. Just what he wanted.
    He bought a boat and named it " Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't".
    Last edited by T202; 02-24-2007, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    It would be a good idea, yes, but there are three strikes against it.

1. Companies do not want to take the expense to do background checks, let alone full blown psychological assessments.
    2. The Security and PI Regulation Association has no position on this, which means that the industry position is all the government will listen to.
    3. For unarmed positions (where the ability to end human life is low), the company would have problems demonstrating why they must lawfully violate the Americans With Disabilities Act and discriminate against the mentally ill in employment matters. Remember, there are states where felons may work security if the conviction was not related to the industry.

Number 1 means the companies don't want the expense.
    Number 2 means the people who make the laws, the IASIR, has no position on psych tests for security guards, so the industry is the 'expert testimony'
    Number 3 means that it takes even more money to have corporate counsel write up why your company is lawfully violating federal anti-discrimination laws.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by GCMC Security
    FL does require it for armed....well the MMPI which I don't think is a good judge of it but it's something at least
    This is actually untrue. You are only required to take a "written assessment or psychological interview" for the temporary Class G license. The only requirement is a background investigation for the G license.

If you do not get your Temp G, you are not required to undergo a psychological assessment under Florida Law.

I did not take the MMPI II for my Temp G. I took a "Security Guard Assessment" by some company in New York, that was about 20 questions and included, "Do you feel like killing yourself" and "If a man steals from your store, will you shoot him?"

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    There should be BI's and psychological testing of all guards regardless of status, armed or unarmed. If the wind is not favorable for such measures, then at least for the armed category.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Yes they should be tested, especially if armed.

Regarding this guy; he would have done it whether he was a security guard or not. He was already a ticking time bomb.

Leave a comment:

• GCMC Security
    replied
    FL does require it for armed....well the MMPI which I don't think is a good judge of it but it's something at least

Leave a comment:

• tlangsr
    started a topic psych eval?

psych eval?

On tuesday three LEO's were shot by a S/O in fresno, CA. His parents admit that he was mentally ill.(Three Officers Shot ) Given what just happened I have a question.

Should the states require Security Officers to take Psych Evals in order to gain employment in this industry.

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X