no references ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no references ?

been looking at security companys here in my town.

they wanting references.

i havent worked since 2005 and have no body left alive or anyone for personal references, really, no bs.

was thinking just to show up starched and spit shined with all my gear ready for guard mount.

any tips?

Unless you've lived in a shack in the woods for the past 17 years, you can come up with three references, you just have to work at it. For work references, you can check Linkedin or just do a name search. For personal references, sit down and right down everyone you know, even casually. Generally you can't use immediate family, but if you have a cousin you've kept in touch with and knows you fairly well, you have a reference.

References aren't a make or break condition, but no references is a red flag.
    Last edited by Condo Guard; 05-15-2017, 09:38 AM.

Comment

LandLord and/or neighbor?

IMO that is almost a REQUIRED personal ref. Any clown can get "personal refs" from former cell mates, fellow bar-flys, etc.

Go ahead and put down a dead person. Chances are they wont check anyways

Comment

i had the same problem with references when i signed up as a 17 year old for the marines in the early 70s

i had to use my recruiter for my next of kin.

Comment

Use a landlord, a neighbor, a previous employer, a rep from the military. There have to be people you can use that will refer you.

For example, I usually use my former captain, my old police explorer advisor, and one old supervisor or coworker.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
            Unless you've lived in a shack in the woods for the past 17 years, you can come up with three references, you just have to work at it. For work references, you can check Linkedin or just do a name search. For personal references, sit down and right down everyone you know, even casually. Generally you can't use immediate family, but if you have a cousin you've kept in touch with and knows you fairly well, you have a reference.

References aren't a make or break condition, but no references is a red flag.
            Neighbor, friends, old classmates, ex military buddies
            http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Originally posted by copelandamuffy View Post

Neighbor, friends, old classmates, ex military buddies
              well, as for neighbors...i got good ones...just wave. they dont like me

old classmates....i dont do facebook and no reunions..i wasnt liked in school

ex military.....i only keep up with one, and he's proby **** faced right now and he dont like me

the way i look at it...i grew up here and served in my community for 25 years.

once i meet with the peeps who do the hiring, and they need a body...i am sure i would be hired, that is if i think i can fit there.

can pass drug and physical tests. gunna put that in big bold letters

Comment

Originally posted by wascaptain View Post

well, as for neighbors...i got good ones...just wave. they dont like me

old classmates....i dont do facebook and no reunions..i wasnt liked in school

ex military.....i only keep up with one, and he's proby **** faced right now and he dont like me

the way i look at it...i grew up here and served in my community for 25 years.

once i meet with the peeps who do the hiring, and they need a body...i am sure i would be hired, that is if i think i can fit there.

can pass drug and physical tests. gunna put that in big bold letters
                Show up with your DD214, the deed or copies of your prior rental agreements to your house/apartment showing your stability and a free copy of your TRW/Equifax credit report, in addition to your other idea of showing up looking squared away.
                "Lo Que Sea, Cuando Sea, Donde Sea"

"Veni, Vidi, Vici!"

"Whatcha gonna do now, PL?"

"Strategy is the craft of the warrior. Commanders must enact the craft, and troopers should know this Way. There is no warrior in the world today who really understands the Way of strategy." Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin

http://sentinelsofflorida.com/ is where I go for all of my Florida security info.

Comment

Surely you have neighbors? They can be great references even if you aren't personally friends with them. When I did LE backgrounds, we always talked with the applicant's neighbors because they know a lot about your lifestyle just from living next to you - loud parties, domestic disturbances, police being called to your house, how long you've lived there, how you keep up the property, etc. They often even have a fairly good idea how much you drink...to excess, at least.

I remember one toothless old guy spitting tobacco juice off the porch before saying, "He's a pretty queer feller. He likes to sit on the stump out behind his house in his skivvies and take pot shots at the neighborhood cats." I said "Really? Doesn't that make some of you people mad?" He said "Oh, he never hits 'em. He's too drunk."

There would have been no way on God's earth that I'd have found that out except from a neighbor.

When I got back to the station I checked and there'd never been a call about this from his neghbors (most of whom were "pretty queer fellers" themselves).

Even if the only thing a neighbor can say is "I don't know him very well, but he's lived here about 5 years, I guess. He seems nice enough. I see him out mowing the lawn or walking his dog, and there's never been any trouble over there that I know of." - well, that's a reference and a pretty good one, actually, as far as it goes. It's a totally disinterested person giving you a different perspective on a candidate than you would get from friends, work associates, etc.

Incidentally, another group of possibilities would be former teachers, coaches, etc. People at the school you attended or the board of education will often know where they can be located even after retirement because of ongoing business such as where their pension checks are mailed, etc.

If you think someone is a member of a professional association or other organization, they may be able to put you in touch, or they may even have an online membership database you can search.

When trying to chase down someone you've lost touch with, one fairly reliable free online source of people lookup wth phone numbers, current and previous addresses, relatives, and even sometimes where they work is True People Search (link below). The nice thing about TPS is that if you only know what city they used to live in, but not where they are now, you'll still get a hit on that previous location, giving you their current information.

https://www.truepeoplesearch.com/

On one person, I only had Seaside OR, which was some years ago. The person had then moved to Seattle for a year, and then to Spokane but he still showed up based on my Seaside search, with their Seattle address/phone, and then their current Spokane address and phone...along with their relatives and acquaintances.
                  Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM.
                  "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

heres a pic of the uniform i reported to work wearing on my last day.

still holding starch 10 years later..

at apx 0400 hrs i fell off a roof at a commercial structure fire....ending a 25 year career.

i am 60 years old, i am not gunna ask someone to vouch for me.

i am also a ahole, and not liked by anyone but my dog.

thanks for the info and ideas thou fellows.

i want to work but dont need to, guess i aint hungry enough to hunt down references

Comment

I'm begining to detect the delicate odor of bovine excrement

Comment

what you mean ingio? call me out if you have any questions?

i am a over the top type of guy, must be my pedigree

Comment

Originally posted by wascaptain View Post
                          heres a pic of the uniform i reported to work wearing on my last day.

still holding starch 10 years later..

at apx 0400 hrs i fell off a roof at a commercial structure fire....ending a 25 year career.

i am 60 years old, i am not gunna ask someone to vouch for me.

i am also a ahole, and not liked by anyone but my dog.

thanks for the info and ideas thou fellows.

i want to work but dont need to, guess i aint hungry enough to hunt down references
                          You are "60" I am "68" in September
                          &&&
                          I can count on at least "12" friends, neighbors, old school chums, co-workers
                          I know. Most employers ask for "3'

&&&
                          Pretty sad you believe you consider yourself an a*** hole and know one likes you but your dog
                          There are 8 billion people on this planet, I don't expect all 8 billion to like me, but if I can
                          have 12 people like me, including family I have the world by the b*lls

I am sorry that you don't have at least "3" friends. ex-workers, school chums you know who
                          can speak good words about you
                          &&&
                          My cat likes me. I gave her a can of cat food this morning she better like me
                          &&&
                          My friends wascaptain? Some I have known 60 plus years
                          &&&
                          http://www.laurel-and-hardy.com/ Greatest Comedy team ever!

Comment

Not sure what Ingio is referring to but sometimes people overlook or discount people as "references" either because they're not sure how to locate them, or because they think a reference has to be someone who has intimate knowledge about every aspect of their life.

If you lived in a high-rise in New York, the door man could be a reference. No, he doesn't know where you were born or whether you prefer strawberry or grape jelly, but he's seen you come and go every day for X years, knows something about who comes to visit you, etc.

A reference can be ANYONE who's had acquaintance with you over a period of time and can shed light on one or more aspects of your lifestyle, character - or who can confirm information in your resume/application. You say you lived at a building on 42nd St in Manhattan for 3 years - that's something that the door man could confirm, among other thngs.

A teacher or college instructor might not know much more about you than that you turned in assignments on time and attended class regularly - important bits of information about you, even though they would have no idea that line dancing is your hobby or that you have no criminal record.

Bottom line: A reference doesn't have to be able to comment on every aspect of your life. What makes someone a good reference is that they've had the opportunity to observe you over a period of time and have formed impressions of you that they can share with a background investigator.
                            Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-20-2017, 10:29 AM.
                            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Wait. I'm smelling bovine as well on this, honestly, are those CAPTAIN BARS on that uniform? So you actually were a 'captain'. You were a fire captain but you don't know how to get basic BASIC references for a job or what employers look for with references when hiring? Wasn't part of your job at the very least training or even interviewing newcomers? Hell if you were really a fireman that means you would have a metric **** TON of references within the community.

In that case I should change my name to 'waslieutenantPhantom'. Hell, even I interviewed people as LT and I can call any of my former guards up to get a reference if I need one.

It really feels like you're trying to get someone here to give you a job or something. Like SecTrainer said, there has to be SOMEONE in this world that who knows who you are. Hell, if you were really a captain, get a part time gig with your old company. There has to be some sort of job that you'd be able to do, and they already have your references, they are them.

Also, that uniform is disgusting and ruined, ironed improperly or too much by the looks of it. Maybe lay off the 'starched' look. Name badge is crooked as well. Sorry I did uniform inspections.
                              Last edited by PhantomX0990; 05-22-2017, 05:44 AM.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X