Seriously? do you know what a work ethic is

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously? do you know what a work ethic is

So this is the second Saturday in a row that the guy that I'm supposed to be working with didn't show up for work. Last week they were able to call him and wake him up and he got here about an hour late. This week no luck and I'm working with the supervisor.

This is also the guy that vanishes from our workstation for hours at a time and I find him in the back trying to get in the female client employee's pants. He never does rounds like he's supposed to, in fact the only reason I can see that he's still employed by this company is because he's black. We have a white employee who no called no-showed one time who is currently on a final written warning for it. If the guy I'm supposed to be working with doesn't get fired over this I think he (the guy who's on Final) should file a complaint with corporate

I think in general if the security company wants to improve its image they need to quit tolerating behavior like this.
    Last edited by Ingio Montoya; 04-15-2017, 10:29 AM.

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post
    So this is the second Saturday in a row that the guy that I'm supposed to be working with didn't show up for work. Last week they were able to call him and wake him up and he got here about an hour late. This week no luck and I'm working with the supervisor.

This is also the guy that vanishes from our workstation for hours at a time and I find him in the back trying to get in the female client employee's pants. He never does rounds like he's supposed to, in fact the only reason I can see that he's still employed by this company is because he's black. We have a white employee who no called no-showed one time who is currently on a final written warning for it. If the guy I'm supposed to be working with doesn't get fired over this I think he (the guy who's on Final) should file a complaint with corporate
    Should you file? My advice would be HELL NO.

You do not want to be on the wrong side of an Affirmative Action failure.

Maybe quietly document all this just to CYA.

I'm guessing Corp knows the sitch, and is just doing their own CYA hence taking their sweet time to get rid of him.

Corp maybe under the gun to hire certain types, maybe big tax break or to keep the contract, etc.

If it is a big corp and this is in house maybe they just figured pairing him up with another guard is the cheapest why to meet a AAction quota AND most importantly, keep him the hell away from WTF the corp actually does.

then again, a big part of Security is patrolling randomly, so the bad guys can't plan. sounds like this guy is an expert at that. $10 says give it a week and you will find out which employees are doing drugs at work from his hanging out with them.
    Last edited by Squid; 04-15-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

On the other hand, it very well could have nothing to do with the fact that he's black and nothing to do with affirmative action. I've unfortunately seen far too little action on the part of management over the years (to be fair, it has improved of late) that suggests it could just be that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
        On the other hand, it very well could have nothing to do with the fact that he's black and nothing to do with affirmative action. I've unfortunately seen far too little action on the part of management over the years (to be fair, it has improved of late) that suggests it could just be that.

FWIW the DAR I submitted Saturday that said he wasn't there and we had to call the supervisor in has disappeared from the Log Book

Comment

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post

FWIW the DAR I submitted Saturday that said he wasn't there and we had to call the supervisor in has disappeared from the Log Book
          It makes me wonder what they're trying to do. I somewhat doubt that affirmative action is worth falsifying or otherwise removing site documents.

Comment

He may know somebody, either in your company or the client's. Whoever has access to the logbook would be an indication of which one (security or the client) is protecting him.

Really depends on how far you want to go with this. If he's just dead weight but not putting people at risk you might just put up with it or ask for a transfer. The problem with stirring things up is you may get rid of him, but you may get a reputation as THAT guy with upper management - trust me, your chances of promotion will go down to zero real fast. (Old Japanese saying: the nail that sticks up will be the first to be hammered down.)

If you have access to a copy machine you could copy your DAL before turning it in and keep a copy for yourself, to CYA. If not, just keep detailed personal notes. That way if something serious happens, they can't claim they didn't know.

Comment

In house or contract? If its Contract I can tell you why a guard's screw up was pulled.

Kinda ditto for in house. How do you think all these big corps get themselves into trouble? By crapping on lower level employees who point out problems.

Condo Guard is right, and it goes back to my "More likely to get fired for doing your job than not doing it".

My advice, drop this as much as POSSIBLE and couch any NEEDED reports in the most diplomatic terms. Don't say he is AWOL, just say you were there and don't mention his 20 if you don't know.

But about that company copy machine.....

did you know any big copy machine keeps a RECORD of everything it copies? I'm not making that up. My guess is its also easy to check WTF is making AFTER HOURS copies and of what.

Yeah, that is exactly the sort of thing I'd be routinely giving the once over if I was Corp Spook. See who is printing out up dated resumes, WTF they are into off hours (church, gun show, biker club, sex club, pot club, RE agent, gardening flyers, etc), and least but not least, any "company confidential" stuff they plan to use AGAINST the company. That would be any DARs.

Like the that a REAL PERSON looks at every photo at the photomat to fine tune color etc, but many folks OBVIOUSLY don't realize that......but diff.

I'm guessing YOU are now the subject of Corp Spook's attentions.

Yeah, corps be wising up to employees who want to "document everything".

It ain't like you ain't EASILY replaceable.

YES, the Govt or even just "big data", etc can take a flyer you printed at Kinkos and more than likely connect it to video of you, if not your CCard etc info.

My advice, use personal cell to take photo, but that almost certainly against policy and a firing offense.

Better advice, what Condo Guard said about personal note book, but again put info in DIPLOMATIC terms. Maybe "two sets of books"?

"Hi, I'm with HR and we see you are a really good SO and keep a notebook like post orders say, could we see it?"
              Last edited by Squid; 04-18-2017, 03:55 PM.

Comment

I don't think anyone really cares. The guy's back at work like nothing happened. I had to put in my DAR that I relieved half of third shift on time and that so and so wasn't present. I put down that the supervisor arrived at 0800 and everything else was as normal.

I think they shred the DARs every thirty days anyway.

Comment

I feel for you, Ingio. The company I work for now has some dead weight, and good guys are scrambling for hours. I don't get it, except that corporate probably doesn't want any problems, the supervisors and managers are so swamped all the time they maybe don't have time to put together a formal termination packet - who knows.

The good guards are the ones that save and maintain contracts - they should be rewarded, not forced to do other people's jobs because nobody wants to confront a lazy snowflake or an oversensitive employee who happens to be in a protected class and can't take constructive criticism.

If they're shredding DARs after 30 days they really don't get it - it may vary by state, but I've never worked anywhere that didn't save them (on the computer or in a box in the back) for a least a year.

Comment

Since I last posted here I have been reassigned back to the city as a rover and given a buck an hour raise. So this guy and his habitual absenteeism are no longer my concern. I have no idea if the two incidents are related.

As for how long they keep the DARs, that's above my pay grade. I complete and submit them as directed by company policy what happens to them after that isn't my concern.

As for my new gig, I'm once again working alone. I don't have to worry about being stuck on patient watch for hours at a time while Mr. NoShow is in the back trying to get in the Clinician's pants.

I get to listen to the radio again so I have something to occupy my mind and I don't have to worry about the client watching Every. Move.I. Make.

So if they want to cover for Mr. NoShow, not my circus, not my monkeys

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X