florida licensed security officer bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Investigation
    Right, it may state it in the manual, but that does not give private security any legal statutory authority to perform a Citizens Arrest. This is probably why companies purport observe and report. If there were such powers, they would be listed under the Revised Code of Washington or the Washington Administrative Code. These can be searched at: http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/default.asp#RCW
    Not really. There is also case law to consider, and common law. All states allow a citizen to arrest for a felony in presence. Some states allow for felony arrest based on probable cause. Most states allow for a citizen to arrest for a breach of the peace in presence.

There are no laws on the books for these arrest powers, because they are inherited from the English Common Law. Some states codify such law.

When people say, "If its not in the statute book, it doesn't exist," the quickly find themselves on the wrong end of a civil rights violation suit.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Just to add to what N.A. Corbier said, the "manual" is put out by the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission, so I assume it stands for a little sum'n sum'n.
      "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
      "The Curve" 1998

Comment

A new law should be enacted, stating that anyone initiating policies and procedures of security personnel should have no less than five years experience as a security officer in that said state.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X