Security Guard Indutry Wiki :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Guard Indutry Wiki :)

I have created an independant wiki for the Security Industry where i hope everyone can register and add articles which can be modified by everyone. Frequent users here will recieve sysop status.

Http://wiki.Midwest-Patrol.Com

(p.s the site name is not a company, i just liked the name )

My concern is that some will intentially post info that is incorrect, or they think it's correct and it's not that could lead others into trouble. How can this be 'locked' once factual info is found? Will Admin be able to make updates or select users who are truely trying to better the field?

Their are always new people coming into the field and seek out info on the web, my concern is some poor guy getting the info and then acting on it, and then as he is being charged with a crime he/she looks at the cop(s) and says; "What do you mean it's illegal? I read it on....."

An information pool is just like a gene pool, sometimes it needs a lot of chlorine.
    ~Super Ninja Sniper~
    Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Grammical and Spelling errors may occur form time to time. Yoov bin worned

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne
      My concern is that some will intentially post info that is incorrect, or they think it's correct and it's not that could lead others into trouble. How can this be 'locked' once factual info is found? Will Admin be able to make updates or select users who are truely trying to better the field?

Their are always new people coming into the field and seek out info on the web, my concern is some poor guy getting the info and then acting on it, and then as he is being charged with a crime he/she looks at the cop(s) and says; "What do you mean it's illegal? I read it on....."

An information pool is just like a gene pool, sometimes it needs a lot of chlorine.
      If a person believes everything they read on the internet, then they are a victim of their own foolishness.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by ValleyOne

If editors see a problem, be bold. Edit it out.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Having looked at the wiki, the tone and layout are strange to me. The "Safety & Protection" article is a general category, and has a bunch of which should be separate articles.

It has a general guideline about "routine traffic stops" which would be multiple articles themselves, and gives minimal information.

The Radio Codes section... formatting is horrible, grammatical errors, etc. if this wiki is going to be useful, it needs some structure. Its all over the place.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            Having looked at the wiki, the tone and layout are strange to me. The "Safety & Protection" article is a general category, and has a bunch of which should be separate articles.
            Agreed, There is a difference between safety and protection. Safety? Officer safety? Traffic Safety? Protection? Barrier protection? Personal Protection? Scene POrotection?

[qoute]It has a general guideline about "routine traffic stops" which would be multiple articles themselves, and gives minimal information.[/quote]
            I do not like the mention of the tgerm ROUTINE Traffic Stops. One, there is nothing routine there, and TWO Traffic stops are only done by the police, again I know that that depends on the locale and that some states allow s/o's to stop people in cars on priate property. But, anyhooo, the GG would have to be seperated, what about high risk stops? Are they to be in this section or the Safety & Protection Section????

The Radio Codes section... formatting is horrible, grammatical errors, etc. if this wiki is going to be useful, it needs some structure. Its all over the place.
            Not to mention that not everyone uses the same codes, regardless if they are eve in the same county. Scurity companies may even use totally different radio codes and be in the same city. I think this section should be dumped, as most companies will already tell their ppl what to say on the radio.

But, that's just my $0.02
            ~Super Ninja Sniper~
            Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Comment

Guys... it's a wiki, Edit how you think it should, you have the option to add new categories as much as you want! be brave and edit as for Moderation etc.. sysops if any Admin here or Moderator wants to be a site admin for the wiki they just have to pm me and tell me their username they used on the wiki and i will add it than they can decide who can be sysops etc... so so again the structure, edit it if you want

Comment

That's nice, but the issue I have is say I go through and take the time to put down good and CORRECT info. Can't ANYONE come along and screw it up? Is there a way to 'protect' the info provided?
                ~Super Ninja Sniper~
                Corbier's Commandos

Nemo me impune lacessit

Comment

yes there is a way but at any moment yes someone can change it, that why implemented in a wiki is reverting back to previous edits even minor edits of 1 letter can be reverted but this is only available to sysops, if you have registered i will make you a sysop also there is a way protecting the page but will hinder peoples ability to add information as adding and removing information will be disabled so thats why reverting is the best means

Comment

Originally posted by Central
                    yes there is a way but at any moment yes someone can change it, that why implemented in a wiki is reverting back to previous edits even minor edits of 1 letter can be reverted but this is only available to sysops, if you have registered i will make you a sysop also there is a way protecting the page but will hinder peoples ability to add information as adding and removing information will be disabled so thats why reverting is the best means
                    Central, you miss the point. A subtle change in the wording not immediately apparent to the reader could lead to great harm. Ours is not a child's game. We do not have a nun roaming the classroom with an 18-inch ruler to assure accuracy.
                    Enjoy the day,
                    Bill

Comment

people can read and understand, they also need common sense. if someone says "to avoid getting shot say 'I am unarmed but you are under arrest' our loud" or if they say "to avoid in an incident with a pulled over vehicle approach the vehicle through it's blind spot"

it just falls under common sense, if you believe everything you read on the internet you shouldn't be on the internet.

people start writing and add information! This is a great asset to the security industry where people can share information on protecting one another, security equipment etc...

Comment

I agree with the majority on this. Too many logisitcal problems and the propensity for false information is going to make this wiki not very effective.

I wish you the best of luck with it, but I just don't see it doing what you hope it will do.
                        "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

If you are serious at this, adopt some of the basic policies of Wikipedia, and enforce. I read a few articles, and would of Speedy AfD'ed them on Wikipedia.

Comment

yea i am serious and i have been working on Duty Gear for the last couple of hours with breaks yea so check out Duty Gear on the wiki

Comment

I posted an article about the Communications used in the industry. Can some one please hlep as this is my first time using a wiki and i want it to look professional thanks.
                              Robert
                              Here endith the lesson

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X