http://www.securityinfowatch.com/onl...ion/6784SIW305

In this story, a G4S Security Guard was terminated for violating company policy, which prohibits employees from doing more than observing disorder. From the story, one can believe that the security mount <b>was</b> instructed to take action against disorder in the client facility (a mall), but this policy was recinded.

This is a common theme, which has been played out with major companies countless times. A security guard, believing their mission to be that of protection instead of observation, acts to save lives or property - usually at great risk (liability) to themselves (The company). They are subsequently termianted by their employer, usually "with cause," denying them unemployment insurance.

This is the single most reason why you should know your post orders, your company orders, and the company culture on threat conditions and your duties. As one officer on this forum has noted, they have no idea what their powers and responsbilities are - even on a simple trespassing situation.

Know your policies, or the next job you apply for may recieve a fax from HR of the company you were just fired from - doing your job - that states you were terminated with cause for failing to obey company policy, and you would not be rehired by that employer.

Edit: I totally missed this part, reprinted below:
Mall employees expressed their regret yesterday over King's apparent dismissal.
One worker who would only identify herself at Karen said she was disgusted.

"It just sickens me that someone did the right thing and instead of being commended for it, he loses his job."

Karen added that she has felt unsettled since the carjacking and grisly sex assault of a woman abducted in the mall's parking lot in February 2003.

She added she admired King's diligent work ethic and feels less safe with him gone.

"I don't understand why the security guards are even here if they can't protect the employees and the patrons of the mall," she said.

"What are they supposed to do if I get attacked in the parking lot -- stand there and watch?"

The anwser is YES, LADY, HE IS. Then report what he observed to his employer or the client, who will decide if you require medical attention or law enforcement intervention. The guard is there to observe, and report. Not take action.