Worth Thinking About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth Thinking About

I was struck today by this statement made by Chief Ed Croker of the NYFD, and of how applicable it is to our own domain:

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work that the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, and even of supreme sacrifice."

Substitute "security officer" for "fireman" and read it again. Be proud of who you are, and of the quality of life that you make possible for so many by your own sacrifice and devotion to duty.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Sec Trainer i am a Full time firefighter and this si my favroite quote that i have heard. It explains the reason why we run into burning buildings when every one else runs out. This qute can also apply to PD and security yes.
    Robert
    Here endith the lesson

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer
      I was struck today by this statement made by Chief Ed Croker of the NYFD, and of how applicable it is to our own domain:

"I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work that the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives. Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, and even of supreme sacrifice."

Substitute "security officer" for "fireman" and read it again. Be proud of who you are, and of the quality of life that you make possible for so many by your own sacrifice and devotion to duty.
      I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a Security Officer. The position may, in the eyes of many, appear to be a lowly one, but we who know the work that Security Officers do believe that this is a noble calling. Our acts to protect property, and to save lives of our fellow man has no greater cause or moral responcibility. Under the act's and impulses of such long time deeds of daring, desire to help our fellow man, the nobility of even our supreme sacrifices of lives lost, we know we are the expendable, but wanted in the time of need by our fellow man.

Sounds fitting for the 41 men and women who stood their posts as Security Providers who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11. America's true unsung heros who did our profession proud, R.I.P. one was a Miss Denise Connelly a law school student who was a Security Officer, as the building was being evacuated the last person who spoke to her told her she too should get out of the building as she directed others to safety. Her response was " Not until everyone is out safe " and she remained helping others find their way in the darkness and out to safety. Her body was recovered weeks later in the rubble. It was believed she was in her early twenties. Former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani was in the World Trade Center on 9/11 trapped and confused in the lower levels it was a Security Officer to whom he gave credit too in his book for saving his and the lives of many others that day.

Comment

Along these lines something like this should be manatory motto for all security officers.
        I agree that the majority or the public think is our job / career as a lowly one, and until needed we are almost in the eyes we are of contempt and mistrust. Here in Australia that is the sediment with security, we are hired thugs, which in the whole is wrong. In any profession you get BAD apples but here we are classed in the same boat as used car salesmen.
        I is funny when we are in need, how the sediments change and we are of savors etc.
        But back to the topic I reckon that we on an international front need an International motto and standard and sttempt to lose the stigma that is surrounded with our profession.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X