This is why you don't try to disarm guys with knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why you don't try to disarm guys with knives

Someone sent this to me, and I felt it is worth sharing with the rest of you. The photos are graphic, but the lesson it teaches is very important.

Keep these images in the back of your mind when confronting someone armed with an edged weapon, or even those that wont take their hands out of their pockets. Bottom line… you go home at the end of the night.

**WARNING | PHOTOS ARE GRAPHIC**
    Attached Files
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Originally posted by davis002
    Someone sent this to me, and I felt it is worth sharing with the rest of you. The photos are graphic, but the lesson it teaches is very important.

Keep these images in the back of your mind when confronting someone armed with an edged weapon, or even those that wont take their hands out of their pockets. Bottom line… you go home at the end of the night.

**WARNING | PHOTOS ARE GRAPHIC**

I'd love the truth on these pics, if someone can provide it.

A friend from the Los Angeles PD said they were of a plainclothes officer who was attacked by a knife-wielding suspect, and another friend with a correctional institution in Oregon states they are from a California prison showing the aftermath of an inmate fight involving "shanks".

Either way, come at me with a knife and get shot.

Come at me with a straight razor and I'll shoot you, your family and friends, and people who look like them.

Comment

I've heard both as well, I'm more inclined to believe the inmate version.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by wilrobnson
        I'd love the truth on these pics, if someone can provide it.

A friend from the Los Angeles PD said they were of a plainclothes officer who was attacked by a knife-wielding suspect, and another friend with a correctional institution in Oregon states they are from a California prison showing the aftermath of an inmate fight involving "shanks".

Either way, come at me with a knife and get shot.

Come at me with a straight razor and I'll shoot you, your family and friends, and people who look like them.
        wilrobnson, I know you and some of our other forum members will want to string me up but, men and women, boys and girls, the value of remembering the 21-foot rule is so important. Having had been stabbed and had the doer been just a slight more on target, I'd not be typing this stuff. The moment we lose concentration we're gone.
        Those pictures tell the story. Those slashes can take you out of the picture quickly.
        Remember the motto: "I'd rather be tried by 12 and carried by six."
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
          wilrobnson, I know you and some of our other forum members will want to string me up but, men and women, boys and girls, the value of remembering the 21-foot rule is so important. Bill
          Why would I want to "string you up"? I agree. In fact, last training I had they were talking about a 30-foot rule.

If the suspect/subject is an accomplished knife fighter, I prefer the 21-mile rule, or the "let the rookie handle it" rule.

Disclaimer: I have taken some basic knife-fighting skills "classes", and KNOW I can do damage within 21 feet in under a second and a half, or before the "officer" role-player could clear his holster. If someone doesn't believe this is a very real threat, try it sometime.

Comment

I have disarmed a suspect with a box cutter, from the looks of the wounds which are pretty good I'd say a razor or box cutter, anything else and you would have some tearing of the flesh due to physicla force used. If you aint sure you can disarm a suspect then silly boys and girls don't try it unless your a " Super Ninja " laughing falls over.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchetti, David, M
              If you aint sure you can disarm a suspect then silly boys and girls don't try it unless your a " Super Ninja " laughing falls over.
              Alot of us simply wont... we like going home at the end of the night.
              "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                wilrobnson, I know you and some of our other forum members will want to string me up but, men and women, boys and girls, the value of remembering the 21-foot rule is so important. Having had been stabbed and had the doer been just a slight more on target, I'd not be typing this stuff. The moment we lose concentration we're gone.
                Those pictures tell the story. Those slashes can take you out of the picture quickly.
                Remember the motto: "I'd rather be tried by 12 and carried by six."
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill
                Mr. Warnock, you're a wise man.
                Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

This is sort of but not really off topic for this thread but I will post it here and if it needs to be moved then I assume it will be. It is link to video that is well worth watching if you have a broadband connection. It is not about knife wounds but you will understand when you see it.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2...d_by_boxer.wmv

This officer actually did pretty well considering the disparity in size.

Comment

There is an excellent video out, but it is old, and I am not sure if it is still in production. It is called Surviving Edged Weapons. It is a couple hours long. It has interviews with police officers that have been seriously wounded by edged weapons, gives you tips on what to watch out for, precautions to take, what to do if you do get stabbed, etc. After watching it, it does give you more respect for edged weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dam Guard
                      This is sort of but not really off topic for this thread but I will post it here and if it needs to be moved then I assume it will be. It is link to video that is well worth watching if you have a broadband connection. It is not about knife wounds but you will understand when you see it.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2...d_by_boxer.wmv

This officer actually did pretty well considering the disparity in size.
                      Guy is lucky, very lucky, years ago George Forman was in New York when he was pulled into an alley to be mugged by three guys. When police arrived they found Forman standing with not a mark on him and three suspects on the ground just coming too, cops laughing at the suspects as they did not know who George Forman was lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant
                        Mr. Warnock, you're a wise man.
                        Thank you sir, I try to live by my experiences and listening to those wiser than me. The journey back from is truly eternal.
                        Warm regards,
                        Bill

Comment

Surviving Edged Weapons is still around, we watched it in our Knife Defense class at the Academy, although most of my classmates just laughed at it.
                          "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

When we watched Surviving Edged Weapons in skills I don't remember much laughter. Knives scare the heck out me. The 21 foot rule could easier be extended out to 25 or 30 IMO.

It is important to practice with your holster so your draw is seamless and quick. Level three holsters are great for weapon retention, but if i have seen officers "fumble" a bit during the draw. There just isn't any excuse not to proficient in the equipment on your belt.

Comment

It made me mad, everyone laughing.... these people are "supposed" to have my back in case of a situation. I want no part of a knife.
                              "What if this is as good as it gets?" ~ Melvin Udall

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X