Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be careful of what you put in your notebook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be careful of what you put in your notebook!

Here's an article with some news on the Duke rape case...

The Lacrosse players defense atty. is asking for a security guard's notebook to check his notes from that night.
    The guard works at the mental health/detox center the police took the "Victim" to. They did not admit her there, but she was there for a while and the guard had supposedly taken notes of the conversation the hospital staff had with her.

STORY: http://www.newsobserver.com/1185/story/488098.html

Goes to show us... BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR NOTEBOOK! There is always a chance it could be requested/subpoenaed and read by others, inside or outside of court

A lesson that Mr. Hunt learned along time ago when the authorities found his White House phone number in one of the Watergate Hotel burglar's notebook. Oops
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

one of the reasons i shred my notebooks after theyre full.
      "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

I make it a point to save all of my notebooks. I tend to keep some very detailed notes. I was always taught that if you think for a moment that you should note it, THEN YOU NOTE IT. I even go as far as scanning and archiving them into a PDF file for safe keeping. As long as what you write is factual and truthful, you need not worry. Those notes just might save your arse someday.
        "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          A lesson that Mr. Hunt learned along time ago when the authorities found his White House phone number in one of the Watergate Hotel burglar's notebook. Oops
          LOL, for sure!!! A lesson to remember! CIA Operative to an orange jumpsuit!

I don't think I'd shred them, but put them up in a safe place... Like Davis said, you never know when one of them will come back to save you!

Just DON'T let them be found to incriminate you...

"Ummmm... My dog ate them"

Comment

There was a previous thread in great detail on the subject of notebooks and note taking. That makes for good refresher training.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

I keep two notebooks on me. One is my official one, like the little memorandum books hard to rip pages out and one that I keep for misc crap. I had a notebook supeoned in a case when I first started and get thrown out because of the fact there wasn't the EXACT 150 pages in it that the front cover said were in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                There was a previous thread in great detail on the subject of notebooks and note taking. That makes for good refresher training.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill
                I agree, refresher training will keep us all on our toes!

I just dropped this because it's a timely reminder, with the Duke rape case still going on.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
                  I keep two notebooks on me. One is my official one, like the little memorandum books hard to rip pages out and one that I keep for misc crap. I had a notebook supeoned in a case when I first started and get thrown out because of the fact there wasn't the EXACT 150 pages in it that the front cover said were in it.
                  My instructor passed me that tip!

Number the bottom of each page and never pull them out.

Just bought a new notebook, and scribbled out all 100 pages with numbers!

Comment

Originally posted by globalinstincts
                    My instructor passed me that tip!

Number the bottom of each page and never pull them out.

Just bought a new notebook, and scribbled out all 100 pages with numbers!
                    I've done that as well as put on the first page I brief statement saying something along the lines of

This note book was opened on (date) By SO John Doe. At this date it contains 100 pages front and back.

I pass this on to all my officers. Sometimes they listen sometimes they dont. But of course that's any advice I give them lol. I also tell them not to put any door codes etc into their official notebook because if it gets supeoned no telling when youll get it back plus all the unauthorized people that will get to view it at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by GCMC Security
                      This note book was opened on (date) By SO John Doe. At this date it contains 100 pages front and back.
                      That's a good one too!

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
                        You... what? Your own company's policy is to retain notebooks for two years, or not keep a notebook at all.

It isn't the full notebook they'll be requesting, either, it'll be one you're still writing in.
                        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by bigdog
                          Why even take notes if you shred them?

Comment

Here's a source for a police/security notebook that already has 100 numbered heavy-paper bound pages, waterproof covers, and more useful features. $16.50 for pack of 3. Shirt pocket size.

The company is in Australia and looking for dealers...hint-hint. Probably sell real well here in North America doncha think?!

LE/Security Notebook
                            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                              You... what? Your own company's policy is to retain notebooks for two years, or not keep a notebook at all.

It isn't the full notebook they'll be requesting, either, it'll be one you're still writing in.
                              Nathan that is some really scary stuff. Way back in the dark ages, the county sheriff demanded each deputy, in my case township, constable keep issued notebooks and supervisor were to review each notebook and so indicate they had done so and when. When I moved to Georgia in 1971, the notebooks remained in the possession of the township constable chief.
                              As I wrote previously, I maintained a daily diary from the time I was an Air Force two stripper, through various assignments both military and civilian. In retirement, I use it to record phone calls and a brief description of the call.
                              Nathan, those entries have saved my bacon on more than one occasion.
                              Enjoy the day,
                              Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X